07-11 engine vs 12+ engine

Spartan

Is the 12+ JKU engine really that much better then the 07-11 JKU engine?

Thinking about getting a low mileage 08 JKU because it's Rescue Green, and I have always liked that color, but I love Wheeling down in Moab. Even though I only get down there a few times a year. I use to have a 2010 JKUR and wheeled Moab several times, and loved it. It was great off road, but was a little lacking on payment and that was with 35's. The 08 I'm looking at has 37's, so I guess in asking will I really notice much difference in the 12+ JKU engine if I deiced to go with 12+ over an 08?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
IMHO it is a huge difference. I'd get a 12+ and repaint before I'd get an '08 knowing I would have to do a motor swap to be happy.

Last edited:

JKFlyer

I don't have experience w 12+ but w my 10 auto...once I regearedto 513, its got lots if pep!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

CharlieK

No question about it get the 12. My first jk was an 08, I am running the same set up as far as tire size and gears 37's with 4.56. There is no comparison between the 2, get the 12 it you will have serious buyers remorse.

liljohn850

No question about it get the 12. My first jk was an 08, I am running the same set up as far as tire size and gears 37's with 4.56. There is no comparison between the 2, get the 12 it you will have serious buyers remorse.

when I bought my 11.... I settled..... I should have waited for a 12 to come up...dont get a 3.8. :redx3:

RockyJk

I just traded my 07 for a '14 the difference is freaking incredible! Like Piginajeep once said it's like comparing a v8 to a 4 cyl

p_a_b_l_o

I had a 2011 Rubicon Automatic...it only lasted a year, horrible power, now I have a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon manual, running 35" with 4.88, love it

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I just traded my 07 for a '14 the difference is freaking incredible! Like Piginajeep once said it's like comparing a v8 to a 4 cyl

x2 Traded an 09 for a 14. Night and day when it comes to power. On both I have/had the 3.73 and 32s combo.

Jerms

I have an 08 auto w 37s and 5.13s. Does it need power? You bet, but doesn't everything need more power. Aren't we always wanting more power? I don't daily drive mine, and really don't have the desire to have more power. I say get what you want. If it's rescue green, than sacrifice the power and re gear it with 513s. If your going to wheel it, you'll love the low range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMHO it is a huge difference. I'd get a 12+ and repaint before I'd get an '08 knowing I would have to do a motor swap to be happy.

What he said. I've owned both and there really is no comparison. The 3.6L motor you get with the 12+ has way more power and totally worth it.

Top Bottom