Running Carpetless in a JKU

hunterbilt

Im thinking about bed lining the tub of the jeep this coming week and I was wondering If anyone else has done it. If you have, just a few questions:

What did you do to prep the tub?
what liner did you use?
About how long did it take you?

Any help would be awesome!

-Hunter

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a write-up I did back when I lined my CJ's tub:

http://4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

However, in hindsight, I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. The factory carpet does an EXCELLENT job of keeping the inside your Jeep quite as well as shielding you from the crazy heat that would otherwise radiate from the floor.

FrankenJeeper

I lined the inside of my JK last year with Duplicolor Bed Armor. I just lightly sanded all areas to be applied and then just rolled it on. Between prep and applying multiple coats it took all day.

As Eddie said, the carpet does eliminate heat and keep things fairly quiet. I dealt with the heat up front with just a pair of rubber mats. It is very noisy but I love being able to just hose out the inside without removing and reinstalling carpet if it gets too dirty.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

hunterbilt

Thanks, guys! My factory carpet is in pretty bad shape. I have been running without carpet in the front for almost a month now. Im looking for a different look now. I may try to use the write up and see how I like the bed liner. If I don't, I may look for an after market bed rug of some kind.

Here's a write-up I did back when I lined my CJ's tub:

http://4x4xplor.com/herculiner.html

However, in hindsight, I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. The factory carpet does an EXCELLENT job of keeping the inside your Jeep quite as well as shielding you from the crazy heat that would otherwise radiate from the floor.

I agree with this.... I get the cleaning is easier without carpet. I am currently running carpetless for this reason, but I have not and do not plan to bed line the floor. I still use the floor mats to cover the goop that the factory puts on the floor. When it's time to cleanup, the painted floor cleans way easier than most textured liner. I agree with Eddie that it is louder and more heat comes through the floor but this seems to be a medium between a lined floor and carpet. Just my :twocents:

jmatta33

just finished bedlining the tub and then some. getting the sound deadener off was the biggest pain, but according to a few people a heat gun or dish soap or several other techniques helped it cone right off. i went the hammer and chizel route. they all work, but mine was harder than most lol. after everything was removed, i sanded everything, wiped clean, then hit it with acetone. after that, paint away! i also used duplicolor bed liner. just be sure to tape up bolts and bolt holes! otherwise your stuff wont go back in without a lot of elbow grease and a torch, ask me how I know... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999797.444375.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403999806.175891.jpg

RLTW!!!

jeeeep

Hooked
I helped my buddy line the interior of his TJ, prep is very important to get the liner to stick and completely seal. if you don't prep properly you may get areas where it'll separate from the tub and if it tears you'll can end up with water getting trapped underneath - I've seen this in happen in truck beds.

wash the interior, degrease it - we used some type of cleaner he got from his work, scuff it up well, wipe it down again and then we used cheese cloth to get everything.
tape off anything you don't want bedlined. Those orange ear plugs work great to plug holes you don't want bedline inside of.
He paints for a living so his prep may be more than most but I must say his liner has held up to a lot of abuse in the last 2 years.

Took us 4 days to prep his TJ - but we took seats and everything out - prepping took majority of the time.

It took about 2 weeks to cure because of the humidity - he put it in his garage on the 1st night but it ended up stinking up his entire house so he left it outside. Took about 3 days for the smell to get out of his house.

I decided to use BedRug, so far it's been easy to clean and held up well but have only had it in since March. I didn't put the piece over the rear storage because it just Velcro's to it - I'm planning something else so I can use the BedRug piece.

hunterbilt

just finished bedlining the tub and then some. getting the sound deadener off was the biggest pain, but according to a few people a heat gun or dish soap or several other techniques helped it cone right off. i went the hammer and chizel route. they all work, but mine was harder than most lol. after everything was removed, i sanded everything, wiped clean, then hit it with acetone. after that, paint away! i also used duplicolor bed liner. just be sure to tape up bolts and bolt holes! otherwise your stuff wont go back in without a lot of elbow grease and a torch, ask me how I know... View attachment 89713 View attachment 89714

RLTW!!!

Thank you! It looks great! About how long did it take you to remove everything?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My take on it, if I lived back east where there was a lot of mud I might bedline the tub to make for easier cleaning. Out here in the west though, not a chance in hell I'll remove it.

hunterbilt

My take on it, if I lived back east where there was a lot of mud I might bedline the tub to make for easier cleaning. Out here in the west though, not a chance in hell I'll remove it.

I live in San Antonio, and most of the places I wheel is a lot of mud. The majority of Rock crawling I do is in dried out creek beds. Cleaning mud off of carpet is a pain in the ass lol.

jmatta33

removing everything was pretty quick. used my impact gun to take the seats out. a ratchet and torx bits are needed. you def will want retainer pin removal tool unless you plan to replace al the plastic pins anyways. i did all the work over a couple days, but im sure if you get up early you could have it all done in one day, let it sit for about 24 hours, then reinstall. just make sure its not soft anymore before you start throwing stuff back in. also i found that doing this solo, separating the back seat was waaaay easier to deal with. its heavy and very bulky. def wouldnt hurt to have some spare hands for the seat removal and reinstallation. its all easy enough, just tedious and time consuming, which is why people charge so much to do it for you.

RLTW!!!

jmatta33

also just to note, my jeep was a salvage title that was "repaired" so there were a bunch of things here and there going on that i got side tracked on while doing this, so it wasnt all done at once. but like i said before, if you are determined and free of distractions you could have everything done from removal, to lining, to reinstall in 3 days total i would say. longest part will be prepping and letting it dry.

RLTW!!!

rockcrawler26

Well maybe southwest:) I'm in Oregon where I get a lot of rain and mud so it's worth it here too

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rayz

i loved it in my YJ I had used herculiner on it still holding up after 10 years, going to do my JK just waiting for the carpet to get a little more worn out...not sure if I'll use herculiner or another brand, since it'll be at least several months if not next year (or two)

Armydog

No carpet in the pumpkin. Bed lined by the previous owner. I am surprised at HOW much heat comes up from the floor. Melts my iced dunkin donuts coffee before I can drink it....

Any suggestions on heat/sound barriers? Spray or brush on? BedTred? Or put the carpet back in??

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

hunterbilt

No carpet in the pumpkin. Bed lined by the previous owner. I am surprised at HOW much heat comes up from the floor. Melts my iced dunkin donuts coffee before I can drink it....

Any suggestions on heat/sound barriers? Spray or brush on? BedTred? Or put the carpet back in??

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Im a little worried about the heat. especially in San Antonio...Im looking into BedTred as well. I may spray it to see how I like it for awhile. If not, Ill buy the BedTred.

Christarp

Here's how I did mine: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14866-Lining-the-inside-of-the-tub&p=255437&viewfull=1#post255437

Overall I like it, it still looks good, and it's doesn't trap sand (which is what I play in a lot) like carpet does. However, there are drawbacks, it holds dirt fairly well, takes a good bit of scrubbing to get the dirt out, and it's noisier in the cabin, and your jeep will stink to high heaven for a good month or so after you spray it in. I haven't noticed any heat issues.

Last edited:
I tried the BedTred and it fit so poorly I returned it. If you still have your factory carpet and are worried about the heat I would run it. I would stay away from the BedTred unless you no longer have the factory carpet.

Also FWIW: the BedTred does not have as much insulation so it won't stop as much sound and heat.

Top Bottom