Tranny cooler

Toyjunkey

I'm looking into a tranny cooler for my 2008 jkur I'm from Phoenix so we have warmer than normal temps lol :eek:I'm looking on some input if this is a worthwhile mod it's a auto tranny I'm running 5.13 gears and 37 13.50 17 any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm new to the rock crawling stuff so I'm not hitting the really hard trails yet but wanting to get there some day

MC2003TJ

I'm looking into a tranny cooler for my 2008 jkur I'm from Phoenix so we have warmer than normal temps lol :eek:I'm looking on some input if this is a worthwhile mod it's a auto tranny I'm running 5.13 gears and 37 13.50 17 any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm new to the rock crawling stuff so I'm not hitting the really hard trails yet but wanting to get there some day

I am using the Derale electric fan powered trans cooler. It cycles on and off as needed. Rock crawling doesn't seem to heat up the trans that much. Pulling a trailer or steep hill gets them hot.

Skeem47

I would definitely look into adding a tranny cooler to your rig and it's certainly worth it. I installed one on mine shortly after purchase after hearing about the hot oil issues that they are known to have. Mine is an 08 also. I went with the B&M super cooler, part #70268. Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bnatt78

On my my 2011 I am running a Haden 404. I picked it up for $40.00 dollars from pep boys and a few people I know have the same one in there 2007 and newer.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

VaderJK

I'm also interested in hearing what everyone uses.

Additionally, If you have one, how was the install?

Anyone notice a drop in temps after install?

Any justification for the pricing differences?

I'm running 4.88's with 37's and intend to pull a small popup come February.

Skeem47

I'm also interested in hearing what everyone uses.

Additionally, If you have one, how was the install?

Anyone notice a drop in temps after install?

Any justification for the pricing differences?

I'm running 4.88's with 37's and intend to pull a small popup come February.

The install was super easy. I was a bit skeptical at first but went for it and it turned out to be way easier than I thought it would be. I'd say the hardest part was getting it mounted and figuring out how to use the brackets to get it straight while keeping a bit of space between the cooler, the bolts and the radiator.

The difference in temperature was almost instantaneous. Before the install, I started up the Jeep for only a few seconds while I went underneath to find the transmission lines. One should be a bit cooler to the touch. Well, both of them were almost so hot I couldn't touch them at all. After the install however, I drove from Tempe to West Phoenix, parked and went underneath to check for leaks or anything out of the ordinary. I touched the lines to see if there was a temp difference and I could actually hold onto both lines without burning my hands or it getting too hot I had to pull away! I couldn't believe it and I still can't lol. This was also done in January and I wouldn't touch anything underneath there at this time of year. Shit, you can't even touch the steering wheel lol. At the time of install I was running stock gears with 35's. The cooler was totally worth it!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jiblet

The 3.8 auto trans practically requires an auxiliary cooler. The B&M model mentioned is very popular and easy to install. You can find good installation write ups easily. Just be sure to plumb the lines trans > stock cooler > aux cooler > trans.

Mopar sells a really nice fitted kit, too, but it's a couple hundred bucks more than the universal ones.

The B&M 70268 does a great job. I've run one for 5 yrs now on my 08. I was horrified that I was seeing temps well over 200 in traffic and on mountain roads. I haven't seen 180 with the cooler.

If you run a 3.8 without a cooler, check your ATF for darkening (should be bright red) or any hint of burnt smell. ATF+4 are all the same and can be found for ~$5 per quart.

Rebel JK

Theres multiple ways to go wiyh kits or diy. I went the latter and have had no issues with my under 80 $ kit.

ForumRunner_20140702_050851.jpg

ForumRunner_20140702_051026.jpg

The only thing i still need to do is run some expanded metal behind the grill for a little piece of mind.

GCM 2

Since you are an AZ resident and live near the temperatures of hell for sometimes 4+ months of the year, I would seriously consider planning for a power steering cooler at the same time if you are eventually going with 37" tires or bigger at some point. If your budget doesn't allow it, just do the trans cooler first and then definitely make the upgrade later. Since I am running 40"s I have both a trans cooler (made by ORW, that has race quality hardware) and then a Derale 'heat sink' style cooler for my ram assist/power steering set up. Over the last four years I have burned up three power steering pumps. If I could do it all over again, I think I would run this PSC dual set up, or opt for a custom set up with integrated fans.

image-3781397935.jpg

image-2467715041.jpg

Last edited:

2011jk

You can also use a 2000-2003 Ford trans cooler, cheap new or almost free at a junk yard. Its little larger than the Jeep kit and IMO easier to install.

Danish13

With running these coolers in front of your radiator has anyone noticed any ill affects with air flow or rising temps due to lack of air flow through your radiator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
stupid question but dont jeeps after a certain year (08 or 09) already come with a tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator? just curious is my 2011 already has one?

Moochie

stupid question but dont jeeps after a certain year (08 or 09) already come with a tranny cooler at the bottom of the radiator? just curious is my 2011 already has one?

Yes, the stock tranny cooler is located at the bottom of the AC condenser.

GCM 2

With running these coolers in front of your radiator has anyone noticed any ill affects with air flow or rising temps due to lack of air flow through your radiator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero issues after four years of exceptionally hard off-roading.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yes, the stock tranny cooler is located at the bottom of the AC condenser.

thanks moochie! i thought i had one cause i found a leak last night by my tranny and i followed the lines back to the radiator but wasnt 100% sure.

Toyjunkey

Thanks again for all the responses I spoke to a shop about doing the install for me and they recommended the b and m with a fan so that's what I'm looking into just to help with airflow throughit

Top Bottom