First Aid Kit-essential equipment.

I'd like to share a first aid kit I made up for my Jeep. I went looking for one online but I didn't like what I was seeing. I wanted something to cover a decent array of "what-if" scenarios and still maintain some compactness and portability. Most of what I saw was a bunch of Bandaids and Neosporin packaged with some gloves thrown into a nylon sack. Not too robust, to say the least. So I decided what I wanted to prepare for and purchased accordingly. I thought of vehicle accidents, gunshot wounds, burns, sprains, bug bites, blisters and even simple things like a headache or diarrhea. I wanted to be able to take this out of my jeep and onto a trail in a backpack as well.

I went to Amazon and settled on the Smittybilt first aid bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-76...6958&sr=8-1&keywords=smittybilt+first+aid+kit

It had what I was looking for in the way of size and placement ability in my Jeep.
It has MOLLE attach straps as well as Velcro straps. You can attach it to your roll bar or anywhere else you find convenient.

I kept mine on the roll bar but I found that it wasn't easily accessible with the top up if I ever needed it in a real emergency. So I moved it to the grab handle above the glove box.

image.jpg

The bag has a Velcro patch covering a major portion of the back which attaches to the base holder. The base has a strap that secures the bag in place along with the Velcro.

image.jpg

It's pretty snug. To deploy the kit, simply undo the quick release fastener on the strap and pull the bag from the base.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There is a strap that covers the zippers and aids in holding the bag closed. Again this is a Velcro fastening strap.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Unzip the bag and the contents are laid out ready for use. There are a decent amount of tuck away pouches and elastic strapping to accommodate a wide variety of supplies. It also has a sewn in mesh pouch. I have to say, I'm impressed with the construction. I stuffed the shit out of this bag and it took it like a champ.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Next I researched a bit and landed on a medical supply company called Chinook Medical Gear Inc. They seemed pretty good to me and I used them to build the contents of my kit.

http://www.chinookmed.com

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's the list of items I bought to stock my kit. DISCLAIMER: I'm no medic or EMT or anything like that. I just read the description of the items and thought about what I wanted to try to have coverage for.

*ITEMS ORDERED:

Qty: 1 Item: 03724 Price: $12.00 - ALOKSAK Bags - Multi-Pack

Qty: 2 Item: 900004 Price: $1.57 - Emergency/Survival Blanket

Qty: 1 Item: 01041 Price: $2.79 - Lidocaine 1st Aid Spray, 2.5% with Aloe

Qty: 3 Item: 01044 Price: $0.47 - Povidone-Iodine 10% Solution

Qty: 1 Item: 05111 Price: $3.44 - Antiseptic Towelettes

Qty: 1 Item: 01911 Price: $6.88 - Povidone-Iodine Prep Pads

Qty: 5 Item: 01069 Price: $0.40 - Benzoin Swabs

Qty: 1 Item: 05110 Price: $1.94 - Alcohol Prep Pads

Qty: 5 Item: 01077 Price: $1.19 - Suture Strip Plus, 1/4" Wound Closure Strips

Qty: 1 Item: 05168 Price: $42.89 - QuikClot Combat Gauze, Rolled (Non-Military Use On

Qty: 1 Item: 05124 Price: $5.59 - ActCel Hemostatic Gauze - 2x2

Qty: 1 Item: 05127 Price: $11.14 - ActCel Hemostatic Gauze - 4x4

Qty: 1 Item: 05130 Price: $6.20 - Israeli Emergency Bandage - 4"

Qty: 1 Item: 05122 Price: $6.20 - CamoVat Cravat & Triangular Bandage

Qty: 1 Item: 100166 Price: $2.79 - Field Dressing/ Pressure Pad, 4"x7"

Qty: 3 Item: 05143 Price: $1.57 - PriMed Compressed Gauze Bandage

Qty: 2 Item: 05120 Price: $0.15 - Oval Eye Pads

Qty: 1 Item: 05117 Price: $5.16 - Knuckle Bandages

Qty: 1 Item: 05221 Price: $13.33 - Action Bandage, Short

Qty: 5 Item: 01074 Price: $0.19 - Trauma Pads - 5" x 9"

Qty: 1 Item: 100325 Price: $2.75 - Sheer Strips, Assorted

Qty: 1 Item: 03614 Price: $7.70 - 2nd Skin Blister Kit

Qty: 10 Item: 03641 Price: $0.53 - Water Jel Burn Gel

Qty: 2 Item: 03642 Price: $3.18 - Water Jel Burn Dressing - 2"x6"

Qty: 1 Item: 01811 Price: $4.26 - EMT Shears - 5.5"

Qty: 1 Item: 01810 Price: $4.51 - Digital Thermometer

Qty: 1 Item: 01753 Price: $3.40 - Hemostat, Kelly Forceps Straight - Sterile

Qty: 1 Item: 01755 Price: $3.66 - Hemostat, Kelly Forceps Curved - Sterile

Qty: 1 Item: 01751 Price: $5.12 - Uncle Bill's Tweezers

Qty: 1 Item: 01808 Price: $1.68 - Scalpel, #15

Qty: 2 Item: 01904 Price: $2.37 - Gauze Pads - 4" x 4"

Qty: 2 Item: 01095 Price: $2.01 - Eye Wash, 4 oz.

Qty: 1 Item: 01332 Price: $41.24 - Chinook Medication Module

Qty: 1 Item: 14076 Price: $24.90 - Rapid 1st Responder

Qty: 4 Item: 01082 Price: $1.38 - High Compression Elastic Bandage

Qty: 1 Item: 400036 Price: $0.56 - Irrigation Syringe, 60cc

Qty: 1 Item: 01294 Price: $29.99 - Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT)

Qty: 1 Item: 01033 Price: $12.00 - SAM Splint - XL Orange

Qty: 4 Item: 01812 Price: $0.55 - Disposable Cold Pack

Qty: 4 Item: 01837 Price: $0.94 - Disposable Heat Pack

Qty: 1 Item: 99804MD Price: $9.46 - Nitrile Gloves, Medium

Qty: 1 Item: 99804LG Price: $9.46 - Nitrile Gloves, Large

Merchandise will be shipped UPS Ground to:

Order Subtotal: $331.40
S&H: $17.47
Tax: $0.00
GRAND TOTAL: $348.87

As you can see, not all the items I bought fit in this kit. I bought enough to build another kit as well. I'm certain I'm missing things that others might have in theirs. I have tape. It just doesn't fit in the bag and I need to make it attach somehow. I'm probably going to zip tie it to one of the MOLLE strips or handle or something.

I think a first aid kit is just as important as any other piece of gear, if not more so. I hope this gives some ideas and maybe even makes some people realize that they need to add a first aid kit to their equipment list. Any feedback is welcome.

Just buy a mercedes they come with the best first aid kits ive ever seen. Thanks for sharing though!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NV375

Thanks for the write up. That just reminded me it is time to pull all my kits to check condition and look for outdated meds. I have a primary kit as part of a backpack of (get home) supplies that goes with me from vehicle to vehicle and I keep smaller kits that stay in the different rigs.

Sent using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Pretty good kit. I like it. My only question is that do you know how to use everything in that kit? I ask since you said you aren't an EMT.

Pretty good kit. I like it. My only question is that do you know how to use everything in that kit? I ask since you said you aren't an EMT.

You make a great point. I have an idea on use of most of it. I remember most of the basics from boot. Stop the bleeding, start the breathing, protect the wound, treat for shock. I'm current on my CPR. I remember how to apply bandages, when and where to apply tourniquets, never remove a foreign object, never move a victim unless absolutely necessary for the potential to cause more harm than helping them. All the basics.

Does that mean I know how to use the combat tourniquet? No. Have I ever used the quick clot? No. Your point is well taken. One of the reasons I also have that first aid book in the bag. And further reason to practice using some of the stuff I own. I haven't applied bandages or practiced making makeshift splints or anything in quite some time.

I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks! :)

Jackal01

I think that since you have had prior training with some of it that it will come back in the moment. And if not you do have your book to reference. A lot of it is self explanatory anyway so it would be hard to screw up.

I would also add aspirin(for heart attacks/chest pain), acetaminophen(pain relief), and benadryl(allergic reactions). And/or any meds you prefer to use or if you're allergic to those then something else. But those 3 will cover most emergencies.

JKFlyer

Awesome writeup and yes a very essential piece of equipment

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You might find it helpful to add a small "write anywhere" pen and a small waterproof notepad. If you have an emergency out in the sticks, it is helpful to track things like temperature, times/doses of medication given, etc.

For less serious situations, the pad is nice to keep track of what you use in the field (meds, certain bandages, etc.). That way, when you get back home you know exactly what you need to replace without having to rip your entire kit apart for an inventory.

Top Bottom