2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with Buzzing Sound

dangerruss

I get a buzzing noise from the engine compartment that can be heard from inside. Start the engine. Put the jeep in gear, reverse or drive-does not matter or how long its been in gear before rolling. Take the foot off the brake and start to roll and the buzz sound starts. It does not happen all the time. Needs to be warm outside, not sure if temperature is an issue, but after the jeep has been running, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before the buzzing sound returns.

I captured a video and posted it on youtube. First part of the video is me inside the jeep. The second half of the video I am outside the jeep with the assistance of my wife...

http://youtu.be/rxra9bUzDsA

Does anyone have any clues on where this buzzing sound is coming from?

Thanks,
Russ

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I get a buzzing noise from the engine compartment that can be heard from inside. Start the engine. Put the jeep in gear, reverse or drive-does not matter or how long its been in gear before rolling. Take the foot off the brake and start to roll and the buzz sound starts. It does not happen all the time. Needs to be warm outside, not sure if temperature is an issue, but after the jeep has been running, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before the buzzing sound returns.

I captured a video and posted it on youtube. First part of the video is me inside the jeep. The second half of the video I am outside the jeep with the assistance of my wife...

http://youtu.be/rxra9bUzDsA

Does anyone have any clues on where this buzzing sound is coming from?

Thanks,
Russ

Is your vacuum pump hooked up correctly? I noticed you moved it under the hood.

dangerruss

Is your vacuum pump hooked up correctly? I noticed you moved it under the hood.

It was moved per the LOD front bumper relocation instructions. I will put my hand on it the next time I start the jeep to see if I can feel the vibration..

Thanks,
Russ

dangerruss

It was moved per the LOD front bumper relocation instructions. I will put my hand on it the next time I start the jeep to see if I can feel the vibration..

Thanks,
Russ

Good call. It is the vacuum pump that is making the noise. I was mistaken. The bracket came from ORB-FAB.

Not sure why this pump is failing...

Thanks again...

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
mine did the same thing. i just moved it back outside with the evo vacuum kit.

dangerruss

mine did the same thing. i just moved it back outside with the evo vacuum kit.

So, moving the vacuum pump back outside the engine compartment caused the buzzing to stop? I just don't understand why that would make a difference.

Thanks,
Russ

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So, moving the vacuum pump back outside the engine compartment caused the buzzing to stop? I just don't understand why that would make a difference.

Thanks,
Russ

Probably still buzzing, but I guess the noise doesn't transfer into the cab. I have a 12 also and it would only do it at start up. Sounds weird, but that's what it was. Can't hear it now.

Top Bottom