Thread: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with Buzzing Sound

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with Buzzing Sound

I get a buzzing noise from the engine compartment that can be heard from inside. Start the engine. Put the jeep in gear, reverse or drive-does not matter or how long its been in gear before rolling. Take the foot off the brake and start to roll and the buzz sound starts. It does not happen all the time. Needs to be warm outside, not sure if temperature is an issue, but after the jeep has been running, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before the buzzing sound returns.

I captured a video and posted it on youtube. First part of the video is me inside the jeep. The second half of the video I am outside the jeep with the assistance of my wife...

http://youtu.be/rxra9bUzDsA

Does anyone have any clues on where this buzzing sound is coming from?

Thanks,
    Russ
    Russ
    2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by dangerruss View Post
    I get a buzzing noise from the engine compartment that can be heard from inside. Start the engine. Put the jeep in gear, reverse or drive-does not matter or how long its been in gear before rolling. Take the foot off the brake and start to roll and the buzz sound starts. It does not happen all the time. Needs to be warm outside, not sure if temperature is an issue, but after the jeep has been running, I have to let it cool down for a couple of hours before the buzzing sound returns.

I captured a video and posted it on youtube. First part of the video is me inside the jeep. The second half of the video I am outside the jeep with the assistance of my wife...

http://youtu.be/rxra9bUzDsA

Does anyone have any clues on where this buzzing sound is coming from?

Thanks,
    Russ
    Is your vacuum pump hooked up correctly? I noticed you moved it under the hood.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Is your vacuum pump hooked up correctly? I noticed you moved it under the hood.
    It was moved per the LOD front bumper relocation instructions. I will put my hand on it the next time I start the jeep to see if I can feel the vibration..

Thanks,
    Russ
    Russ
    2012 Unlimited Rubicon

It was moved per the LOD front bumper relocation instructions. I will put my hand on it the next time I start the jeep to see if I can feel the vibration..

Thanks,
    Russ
    Good call. It is the vacuum pump that is making the noise. I was mistaken. The bracket came from ORB-FAB.

Not sure why this pump is failing...

Thanks again...
    Russ
    2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    mine did the same thing. i just moved it back outside with the evo vacuum kit.

Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    Seems strange.. I did the modification back in February... and this buzzing sound just started in June and it does not do it all the time.
    Russ
    2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    So, moving the vacuum pump back outside the engine compartment caused the buzzing to stop? I just don't understand why that would make a difference.

Thanks,
    Russ
    Russ
    2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    So, moving the vacuum pump back outside the engine compartment caused the buzzing to stop? I just don't understand why that would make a difference.

Thanks,
    Russ
    Probably still buzzing, but I guess the noise doesn't transfer into the cab. I have a 12 also and it would only do it at start up. Sounds weird, but that's what it was. Can't hear it now.