Goodyear MTR, Goodyear Duratrac or BFG KM2?

Shark0587

Looking to do a little offroading but not much, mostly will be mud and or a bit of rock and Oklahoma snows. My Jeep is also my daily driver. Any preferences?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using WAYALIFE mobile app

turbineguy

Looking to do a little offroading but not much, mostly will be mud and or a bit of rock and Oklahoma snows. My Jeep is also my daily driver. Any preferences?

I had Duratracs for a year and a half here in Idaho with plenty of offroad and snow.
They were awesome for everything except mud.

I really liked mine. Only sold them to move to 37s

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

I agree with getting duratracs. I've heard nothing but great talk about them.

I've personally ran KM2's and I won't do that again. They were out of round from the get go and BFG wouldn't do anything to help. Off road, they were great, but on road they were a nightmare. Couldn't keep them balanced and they cupped very badly as well. Rotated every oil change.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have a set of the BFG KM2s and they run down the road at 70 MPH smooth as glass with no wheel weights at all. I only put about 3,000 miles or so on them before transmission went south in the burban so it is setting now. Had them in some decent snow and some mud and they done well for what they were. However, I have heard they have thin sidewalls and I slid off of a meaningless rock and somehow sliced one of the sidewalls. It isnt that bad but that tire has become the spare. If I were buying another MT type tire (which I am soon hopefully) I would look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers though as they have good reviews and alot of time on the trails since alot of people are running them.

I wouldnt own a set of the duracraps. Seen lesser tires out perform them on equally equipped vehicles. I have not however ever owned a set, so take my review of them as you will.

I wanted a set of the MTRs but have heard they have horrible balancing issues as well but again I have never owned a set, and now I am looking at the Nittos instead.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

For the kind of wheeling you do and the fact that your Jeep will be a daily driver, I personally would go with the BFG or Duratracs. As much as I wanted to like my MTR's, they were by far the worst tire I have ever owned.

Buster3479

I like my Duratracs on the trail, and love them on the road. Hands down the best non dedicated snow tire I've run in the winter, and handles most things you throw at them well. They don't clear mud well, and if you're going to spend most of your wheeling in the mud I'd probably look elsewhere. I've heard time and time again about the weak sidewalls, and it's something I keep an eye on but haven't blown out yet in rocks. I bought the certs from DT just in case. I also haven't aired them down lower than 15psi yet, not sure how the sidewalls will hold up doing that.

My plan is to eventually get a set of rims with a rock ring and Nitto Trail Grappler's on them, and split time between the Duratracs and the Nittos. Duratracs in the winter and for long road trips, and Nittos for fun. Too many other priorities to pay for first, and truthfully, I like mud less and less with each time out wheeling. I haven't run KM2's, can't make a direct comparison for you.

rgaba

I wanted the KM2's as well as the MTR's but my rig is my DD with snowy winters and driving on the OBX beaches in the summer. I wanted a quiet ride and a winter rated tire so I went with the Duratracs. I loved the way they handled and wore on my TJ so I got them for my JKUR also. About 30K to 35k miles so far on them on my JKUR and they are wearing great, about half way.

Growlz

For the kind of wheeling you do and the fact that your Jeep will be a daily driver, I personally would go with the BFG or Duratracs. As much as I wanted to like my MTR's, they were by far the worst tire I have ever owned.

Agreed! ^^^^^ My MTRs were a pain to keep balanced. I was in Discount tire every 1000 miles doing 5 tire rotations and balance. Seemed like I was sitting in their waiting room more than driving! HEHE! Free or not, it was still a pain.

Top Bottom