Gearing help 4.56 or 4.88

Ant's JK

I just installed 35s on my 2dr sport manual jk. I've been driving around town avoiding hwys and keeping it in the lower gear. The ride is defiantly tolerable but regearing is in the near future. My question is which gear ratio is better for my application: my jeep is a daily driver for now, I want to keep it as close to the stock rpms as possible and I do some intermediate wheeling on weekends. The highest tire I plan on going to is 37s but that wont be years from now. I just need some advice from all of you who have experience with different ratios

badassbrass

I just installed 35s on my 2dr sport manual jk. I've been driving around town avoiding hwys and keeping it in the lower gear. The ride is defiantly tolerable but regearing is in the near future. My question is which gear ratio is better for my application: my jeep is a daily driver for now, I want to keep it as close to the stock rpms as possible and I do some intermediate wheeling on weekends. The highest tire I plan on going to is 37s but that wont be years from now. I just need some advice from all of you who have experience with different ratios

I have 4:88 on 37", its a trail rig. As a DD i would go 4:10

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you're planning on getting 37's in the future, I would definitely recommend that you get 4.88. That'll get you back up to stock performance with your 3.6L. I run 5.13's with 37's and love it but, my RPM's at highway speed are about 500 over stock.

Ant's JK

Thank you for the information, that helps a lot. So the 4.56 ratio isn't even worth it ?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

Okay gochya, Thanks again for all that info I think I'll probably go with the 4.88 then

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

xkid

If you're planning on getting 37's in the future, I would definitely recommend that you get 4.88. That'll get you back up to stock performance with your 3.6L. I run 5.13's with 37's and love it but, my RPM's at highway speed are about 500 over stock.

Would the 5.13 and 37s be good pulling a 1500 lb trailer?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

I just got 4.88s done after months of 3.21s on 37s! All I can say wow huge change, I love it on the highway, and did a small back yard woods crawling and it was sweet. As for pulling stuff, Im not sure she would be really that amazing still good, but if you trailer a bunch deff go 5.13s!

p_a_b_l_o

Currently i have 4.88 with 35" tires and manual xmsn, Great for pulling my trailer and wheeling, RPM is kind of high on the Freeway but still thinking about getting 37" tires in the future

Top Bottom