Drag Link upgrade question

jorod15

Currently my jeep is pretty much stock, my drag link at the moment feels really loose (like I can grab it and swing it back and forth) I'm pretty sure that's not good. If I'm right then I'm just gonna replace the whole thing. I really would like to go aftermarket but since my set up is stock my worry is that it wont work properly. Also from my understanding if I get a flip drag link then I would have to get an adjustment bracket for my trackbar to keep them parallel? I read somewhere about needing at least 3in lift to use a flip drag link otherwise you run the risk of hitting the frame...is that true? Right now I'm looking at Rubicon express and Synergy if anyone knows any other ones please let me know, Id rather buy the whole piece then pieces like MOOG (even though it looks great but they dnt make the whole tie rod set, which I might have to change soon anyway).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you can rotate your drag link TRE's doesn't mean they are bad. They are only bad IF you can make them joints shift side to side or up and down. Rotational movement is normal and fine. Just trying to save you some money here.

DA RUNT

Yes, that's correct. You should have at least 3" of actual lift before doing the drag link flip kit. Anything under that can cause over correction. You also have to do the trackbar relocation when you do the flip. Any kit that doesn't come with both should be overlooked.

Edit: Just saw you asked about brands. Check out the EVO kit.

Last edited:

jorod15

Just because you can rotate your drag link TRE's doesn't mean they are bad. They are only bad IF you can make them joints shift side to side or up and down. Rotational movement is normal and fine. Just trying to save you some money here.

Even if its like realllllly loose? And when you say side to side you mean passenger to driver side back and forth? What about if the boots just look like crap, cracked an greasy?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if its like realllllly loose? And when you say side to side you mean passenger to driver side back and forth? What about if the boots just look like crap, cracked an greasy?

If you look at a tie-rod end (TRE), it's a ball with a stud attached to it sitting inside a housing. IF the ball part of the joint can shift side to side inside the housing as in, there is a gap inside that will allow for this to occur, the joint is bad. Rotational movement is normal. I don't know what constitutes as "really loose" for you. A busted boot just means that water and dirt can get in and that will cause the joint to wear out prematurely.

jorod15

I went and checked my drag link, its nice and solid except for the loose (doesnt take much force to get it to move) radial movement. The boot on the pitman arm side is actually ripped so I figure it might be smart to do the research now and save ahead of the curve for when I actually have to replace it.

D_engel

check your TRE's with a pair a channel locks. Squeeze the joint and watch for any vertical movement.

jorod15

^ I thought testing by squeezing down didnt tell anything because they all can squeeze down with enough pressure.

Top Bottom