Crack in my hard top

redpatchjeff

Anyone know how I should go about repairing this? It's all the way through to the other side.

Also, has anyone had success getting an insurance claim through their provider for a crack in the hard top? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1405187725.531141.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Anyone know how I should go about repairing this? It's all the way through to the other side.

Also, has anyone had success getting an insurance claim through their provider for a crack in the hard top? View attachment 91566

A body shop probably wouldn't charge too much for that. You could fill it with fiberglass resin and paint it and it would probably look okay as well.

Ceithre

I have that same crack in my hard top on the passenger side. I have no idea how it happened maybe closing the door too hard??. It hasn't created any problems for me like leaking or anything i'd also be interested in seeing if i could repair it.

redpatchjeff

A body shop probably wouldn't charge too much for that. You could fill it with fiberglass resin and paint it and it would probably look okay as well.

Thanks. I had thought about going to a body shop and ask but didn't know it they'd do it because it's all the way through. It starts at the end of the top; you can actually move the top and bottom separately.

redpatchjeff

I have that same crack in my hard top on the passenger side. I have no idea how it happened maybe closing the door too hard??. It hasn't created any problems for me like leaking or anything i'd also be interested in seeing if i could repair it.

I'm pretty sure it happened during the polar vortex. -20 and then someone slamming the door.

As previously mentioned mix up some fiberglass resin put some chopped up fiberglass matting. Sand area and wipe down with acetone or MEK. Apply enough resin to cover the area plus an 1/2 to3/4 inch past crack. Use some waxed paper and regular painters tape to get the contour correct. Once it cures then remove waxed paper sand smooth and then repeat. This will give you a nice repair with minimal sanding. The key is waxed paper and tape to squeeze out any excess but also force it into the crack.

R/
Will

The hardtop material is call SMC (sheet molding compound). It's different from regular fiberglass.
So you'll want any repair material or kit to specify it works for SMC.

They say:
"You can use smc repair on fiberglass but not fiberglass repair on smc. The smc repair actually works better on fiberglass"

For example:
http://3mcollision.com/products/fillers-and-glaze/smc-repair/3m-rigid-parts-repair-kit-05883.html

That is good to know. Thank you for providing new insight.

Where can this product be purchased?

R/
Will

Rebel JK

I used this on mine. It bonded extremely well and has the fibers included. You will need to grind a v notch to get better bonding strength and mix small amounts. When this stuff goes off it is rock solid.

ForumRunner_20140712_172502.jpg

RodCyn

I cracked my hard top, adjacent to the rear window. Took it to a body shop, insurance got me a new top.

Body shop let me keep my old top.

fv4sy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom