Wanting both hard and soft top options

stealle

I plan on ordering a '15 wrangler rubicon unlimited. I'd like to have hard-top with full doors in the winter, soft-top with 4 half doors in the summer. I would assume it's best/cheaper to order the hard-top then buy the half-doors and soft top vs. ordering the other way around. Correct? Or, is it possible to order both sets of doors already painted and both tops at the same time I order my Jeep? Anyway, to do this and save a few bucks or is it all going to come out the same?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
You can order it both ways, but its not cheap, but either would be buying oem halfs down the road. I think I read somewhere it was around another 4k or so for both tops and doors.

Hobolobo

I can't remember the exact price for the dual top group, but I know factory half doors painted were around $1800 for my 2012 2 door, if that helps any.

Factory half doors are around 2k for front and 2k for rear. You can get dual top group where it comes with both hard and soft top. I got just the hardtop and bought a soft top after because the bestop super top was a lot cheaper then the factory top and it's pretty much the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I plan on ordering a '15 wrangler rubicon unlimited. I'd like to have hard-top with full doors in the winter, soft-top with 4 half doors in the summer. I would assume it's best/cheaper to order the hard-top then buy the half-doors and soft top vs. ordering the other way around. Correct? Or, is it possible to order both sets of doors already painted and both tops at the same time I order my Jeep? Anyway, to do this and save a few bucks or is it all going to come out the same?

When I got my 14 I wanted the same thing. Dealer told me it was an extra 3k for the "extra" doors, and that there is not "dual door" option from the factory. However, if I wanted just half doors vice full doors there was no extra charge. Try calling and asking Jeep directly maybe? I ended up with just a hard top and full doors. I'll probably get a soft top and half doors down the road... maybe after the next model comes out and they are trying to get rid of them all (wishfull thinking) :blush:

davantalus

I bought my Jeep with a hard top, then bought the soft top used (still new in box though) after. It's a small regret of mine because it's just about the only thing I would have attempted to get fixed on warrantee.

Christarp

It sounds like you'll want the dual top group, but I don't think there's a dual door group, so you'll have to source half doors. You could also get the half doors from the factory and try sourcing full doors, but I think that would be more difficult than buying the half doors. The half doors should run you around 2k for factory ones. You could also opt for just getting the hard top and doing an aftermarket top or finding a used soft top, I got my slightly used soft top for $50 so.. :idontknow:

Rancho

Caught the Bug
This is what I did:
I bought the Jeep with the hard top, easier to find/buy a soft top after the fact.
I bought a soft top (and I am installing it right now actually)

I run two different styles of doors:
Our tube doors with the SWS skins.

FB_IMG_14015484222395635_zps6bbe6eea.jpg

And I just picked up the Savvy half doors as well. I have these since my 2 year old doesn't like the tube doors. I am hoping she likes these.

The only draw back is no uppers... but a lot cheaper (both sets) than going OE.

20140715_120552_zpsf7807608.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is what I did:
I bought the Jeep with the hard top, easier to find/buy a soft top after the fact.
I bought a soft top (and I am installing it right now actually)

I run two different styles of doors:
Our tube doors with the SWS skins.

FB_IMG_14015484222395635_zps6bbe6eea.jpg

And I just picked up the Savvy half doors as well. I have these since my 2 year old doesn't like the tube doors. I am hoping she likes these.

The only draw back is no uppers... but a lot cheaper (both sets) than going OE.

20140715_120552_zpsf7807608.jpg

Nice Sahara side steps :bleh:

stealle

I love those tube doors/skins. However... "It never rains in southern California." I don't think I can go that route here in Illinois. Heavy rain can sneek up on you. I need to be able to put on windows.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i would get the soft top and full doors. i like the soft top because it is always available incase a freak storm comes in so it will provide a decent amount of protection from the elements. also mine has held up great with all the snow i see as well. if you want half doors for the summer i would look at a set of best top full soft doors. they dont have the best filament but they are SUPER light weight and good to have in the back of the jeep incase of an emergency.

stealle

i would get the soft top and full doors. i like the soft top because it is always available incase a freak storm comes in so it will provide a decent amount of protection from the elements. also mine has held up great with all the snow i see as well. if you want half doors for the summer i would look at a set of best top full soft doors. they dont have the best filament but they are SUPER light weight and good to have in the back of the jeep incase of an emergency.

I was just thinking about soft doors. Do you have them? How are those at 65+ MPH? Do they stay tight or flap around? Much added wind noise?

Also, my '97 wrangler soft top was awful at 65+mph. Crazy wind noise. Has the newer "premium" soft tops improved wind noise much?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was just thinking about soft doors. Do you have them? How are those at 65+ MPH? Do they stay tight or flap around? Much added wind noise?

Also, my '97 wrangler soft top was awful at 65+mph. Crazy wind noise. Has the newer "premium" soft tops improved wind noise much?

Soft doors make a ton of noise. If you are worried about noise full doors are your best bet.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I have the soft doors but don't always use them. The filament isn't the best and pull away from the body at speed. They are good for emergencies. The soft top is decently quiet with full doors.

Jiblet

I'm assuming the dual top group is still an option.

As for doors, it's easier to add halfs after the fact than it is to even find full doors. Plus you can get the power options on the full door packages.

I had to wait two years for the OEM half door kits to become available but I absolutely love them.

Remember, the half door kits are a dealer item and therefore the price is negotiable. It's harder to drive a bargain when your ordering a popular vehicle (as opposed to choosing something off the lot) but there's no reason to pay full retail for the half door kits. Maybe you could get them painted for "free"?

One recommendation for anyone negotiating with a dealer, at the very end, when you're ready to sign, get them to throw in an extra cut and programmed key (or two!).

Top Bottom