Rattling noise when clutch is let out

Ant's JK

I don't know if there is an old thread about this but its my second time to the dealership with the issue and they say its normal. When in neutral if I let my clutch I hear a rattle. From my understanding rattles aren't normal. Any idea what it might be or suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a manual and Im now on my second clutch, i've never heard a rattle at all. I can hear the springs/cables working when I press in and let out the clutch but only when I have my doors off. Maybe you have a loose bracket or something. Try following the clutch line and see if something is loose.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't know if there is an old thread about this but its my second time to the dealership with the issue and they say its normal. When in neutral if I let my clutch I hear a rattle. From my understanding rattles aren't normal. Any idea what it might be or suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

If you rest your foot on the clutch does it go away?

2014 JKUR

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I also have the same with my 2012 manual.

When I push on the clutch or tap it the clicking goes away sometimes.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

utiadam

LOSER
I have a manual and Im now on my second clutch, i've never heard a rattle at all. I can hear the springs/cables working when I press in and let out the clutch but only when I have my doors off. Maybe you have a loose bracket or something. Try following the clutch line and see if something is loose.

at what mileage did you replace the clutch? just curious

davantalus

2013, 45k miles, manual

A few little rattles...
1) One goes away if I wiggle the 4wd selector shifter. New since about 40k miles.
2) Input shaft (I think I heard someone describe it as), low rpm's in 2nd or 3rd gear. Been there since new.

I do not get a rattle in neutral with the clutch in or out.

As is often pointed out.... ask the dealer to demonstrate your rattle in another jeep if it's normal. :)

K99787Jeep

It's normal for Jeeps, especially if it's a manual. When you press down the clutch it's gone.

That's what I always noticed in all manual Jeeps..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

Ok , mine started at around 5,000 miles and now I'm at 16,000. It has been doing it the whole time. Almost sounds like something is rubbing or the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

2013CGJKU

Ok , mine started at around 5,000 miles and now I'm at 16,000. It has been doing it the whole time. Almost sounds like something is rubbing or the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Couldn't be that the clutch isn't fully DISengaging if it goes away when you push the pedal in. The clutches default position is engaged, by pressing in the pedal you disengage the clutch.

Mine has made all sorts of noise basically since new too.

Now I have bigger fish to fry. My rear main seal is leaking and is causing the clutch to wear prematurely... something that I pointed out to the dealership when it had 5000 miles on it. Now it's got 14k and the pedal feels like the clutch plate is almost gone... we'll see what they say about it this time around. :rolleyes:

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Ant's JK

Wow, your jeep is pretty new and there all those issues with it. Think the rattle could possibly be a bad bearing ?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
There are some other threads on this already, but mine had the same noise you're describing after 5,000 miles or so. the dealer tore the original transmission down and found some irregular wear on some of the gears, so Chrysler aggreed to replacing the transmission. They replaced it at 8,000 miles. No noise for 10,000 miles or so, then it all started over again. Now i'm at 37,000 miles and just put up with the noise because the dealership said that Chrysler won't let them tear down the transmission again. I don't notice any other issues as far as clutch operation or shifting trouble, so I don't really think the noise is anything to be concerned about. :thumb:

Ant's JK

Wow, ok well thank you for that guess I'll just put up with it then seeing that it will keep happening

Poyntman7

Rattle noise when clutch is let out.

26000 miles on the Jeep and the dealership replaced the release bearing (throwout bearing) put it back together and the noise was still there and tore it apart again replaced something else and still made noise. So now they are ordering a new transmission. From what i have been hearing from everyone on here it will show up again down the road. I hate to pay over 27 grand and just deal with it.

Top Bottom