Help figure out my Jeep purchase!

Codeapalooza

Hey All,

I will be purchasing my first Jeep soon (Wrangler Unlimited). But I have some questions that I am hoping some of you can help answer to make the purchase easier. I do not have tons of money to spend so I will most likely be getting the sport variety and and it comes with the 3.21 gears. I have heard that the 3.21 gears are not all that great if you plan on getting a lift and bigger tires. I think I will be getting a 4" lift and 35" tires, but thats open to hear people's opinions as well.

So since the 3.21 gears aren't all that great I was going to add the max tow package to get the 3.73 gears. Will the 3.73 be sufficient for what is described above? Or will it need to be regeared once the lift and tires are on? If it would need to be regeared, would it be better to save money when I purchase the jeep and get the 3.21. Then get the jeep regeared when it's time for the lift and tires?

Thanks and all this is still a learning experience so if I didn't describe anything correctly then please feel free to help me! I am really excited to get this underway! :thumb:

Cody

TheStick

You will still want to regear when you go 35's, but the 3.73's will make the stock performance better and make it more "livable" if you have to wait a bit before regearing after the lift and tires. I say definitely get the 3.73s

JAGS

Hooked
If you never plan on going to 37s, you could also go with a 3" inch. With 35s though, you'll want to regear, even from the 3.73. A 3" lift means new front DS for a 4dr, which will add to build budget. Also don't forget C gussets whenever you get the 35s.

If money is a factor, you could always go budget boost/coil spacer lift from TF or Rancho. This has been recommended many times by Eddie and others. No need to upgrade DS if you go this route. You'll also likely want to upgrade your shocks/springs, so look for rubi take offs being sold (often for cheap on the forum) or some good bilsteins/rancho shocks can be had for not too much new.

Others will chime in, but that is my :twocents:.

Codeapalooza

If you never plan on going to 37s, you could also go with a 3" inch. With 35s though, you'll want to regear, even from the 3.73. A 3" lift means new front DS for a 4dr, which will add to build budget. Also don't forget C gussets whenever you get the 35s.

If money is a factor, you could always go budget boost/coil spacer lift from TF or Rancho. This has been recommended many times by Eddie and others. No need to upgrade DS if you go this route. You'll also likely want to upgrade your shocks/springs, so look for rubi take offs being sold (often for cheap on the forum) or some good bilsteins/rancho shocks can be had for not too much new.

Others will chime in, but that is my :twocents:.

A couple of questions, are you suggesting the 3" lift because it is cheaper or another reason? What's the price range for the front DS?

How much cheaper is the budget boost/coil spacer option? And what's the negative? Like I said I am learning everyday here so I may be asking a lot of questions for things I don't understand.

Ant's JK

I have a sport with 3.5" lift and i just put 35s on it. It is definitely doable if you have a manual. I drive around with no issues just on the hwy it is a little sluggish and just doesn't have the take off. However I will be regearing very soon. I'd say you can get the lift and tires first then regear.

JAGS

Hooked
A couple of questions, are you suggesting the 3" lift because it is cheaper or another reason? What's the price range for the front DS?

How much cheaper is the budget boost/coil spacer option? And what's the negative? Like I said I am learning everyday here so I may be asking a lot of questions for things I don't understand.

The 3" more just for height. You won't necessarily need the extra space of a 4" lift with 35s and the 3" will provide a lower center of gravity (COG). DS with JE reel or Coast can do a 1310 (1350 if 37s) and I think they around $500. Budget boost/spacer option will be considerably cheaper as you can use stock rubi springs/shocks. No need for DS. Or spend a little more and upgrade your shocks and just go with Rubi springs.

As for negatives, not too many. You'll have slightly less flex/articulation. The 35s mean slightly less ground clearance. All really depends on what you want to do and how you plan to offroad. Just got done running the rubicon and several of the guys had 35s and did just fine.

I'm not an expert, but just sharing what I know and considered for my own jeep. Hopefully others will fill in any gaps I might have missed.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Are you planning on running factory fenders or trimming or running flats? This makes a difference in choosing a lift and bump stop height.

Codeapalooza

The 3" more just for height. You won't necessarily need the extra space of a 4" lift with 35s and the 3" will provide a lower center of gravity (COG). DS with JE reel or Coast can do a 1310 (1350 if 37s) and I think they around $500. Budget boost/spacer option will be considerably cheaper as you can use stock rubi springs/shocks. No need for DS. Or spend a little more and upgrade your shocks and just go with Rubi springs.

As for negatives, not too many. You'll have slightly less flex/articulation. The 35s mean slightly less ground clearance. All really depends on what you want to do and how you plan to offroad. Just got done running the rubicon and several of the guys had 35s and did just fine.

I'm not an expert, but just sharing what I know and considered for my own jeep. Hopefully others will fill in any gaps I might have missed.

Thanks Jags, I really appreciate all the input. I will reread everything we have talked about and try to figure this out. One other things I guess, Is it more worth it to just get a rubi? Since it has upgraded parts, will it save me money? The problem is that if I were to get a rubi I would have to wait quite a bit longer I'd say. But if it was a lot more worth it in the long run. I may consider it.

Thanks again for all the responses from people.

Manvan

You never said what your off road intentions are. The level at which you off-road has a lot to do with how you spend your money. I only get out once every couple of months where as Eddy (Wayslife) Seems he wheels every day. I've had 35's with 3" lift, auto, and 373's for 4 years and 40k miles. No problem with drive shaft on jku. Your jeep will have 85 more hp. If you can find a sport w/ a limited slip diff, it will have 373's. Stay away from jeeps with steel rims. They will have the small gears and you would have to regear for sure. If you go with spacer lift, splurge and get better longer shocks and don't use spacers. Check Amazon, got a complete 3-1/2" rugged ridge lift for $500. Good luck

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Then I would recommend the Rancho 2" sport lift kit. With the 9000 shocks for $400 bucks or less. No need for a 4 inch lift to run 35" tires.

Agreed, this is a great setup and one that won't break the bank. 4" is overkill for just 35's and it'll make your tires look tiny. Heck, I run 40" tires with just 3" of lift now :yup:

TheStick

One other things I guess, Is it more worth it to just get a rubi? Since it has upgraded parts, will it save me money? The problem is that if I were to get a rubi I would have to wait quite a bit longer I'd say. But if it was a lot more worth it in the long run. I may consider it.

Thanks again for all the responses from people.

It depends on your financial situation but if it's doable I say yes.

You can get a Rubi with 4.10's which does well with 35's, especially when combined with the 4:1 Tcase, crawl ratio is still good.

Of course you also get all the other things, lockers, front D44, etc.

A rubi with a small lift and 35's will conquer more than most people will need. If you really get into it and want to go bigger, you still have a great base to build from.

2012wrangler

This may help you on the price: Join tread lightly and get 1% under invoice with no negotiations. I did this and
it worked. I joined for $25 in 2012, but a check on their website looks like they now have a tiered membership and you must pay the $100 level for the discount. Even at $100, I'm confident I would have saved in the end. Below are the tiers.

http://treadlightly.org/join/individual/chrysler-affiliates-reward-program/

As far as the rubicon, I would rather put the extra money into the mods myself.. For example, most off roaders
really don't need the 4.1, it's for rock crawling. (Just my opinion.)

good luck.

OVERVIEW OF MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
$25 Individual Membership Level

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•Subscription to TREADlines – our very informative, educational e-newsletter
•Subscription to Trails – our popular full-color print newsletter
•Tread Lightly! Membership Sticker
•Member Discount in Tread Lightly!’s Store
•Eligibility to apply for a Tread Lightly! Cleanups by Quadratec grant.
•Receive 20% off your ENTIRE Goal Zero purchase.
•$10 credit to The Clymb when you sign up at www.theclymb.com/treadlightly
•A $100 mail-in rebate on WildPeak A/T tires from Falken Tire. Download the rebate form here.**
•10% off your ENTIRE Two Knobby Tires purchase.
•$50 mail-in rebate with purchase a set of four tires or $100 mail-in rebate if they buy a set of four tires and wheels from Discount Tire.
•20% off a subscription to OutdoorX4–email treadlightly@treadlightly.org for rebate code.

$50 Individual Membership Level
•All of the above benefits and
•2014 Member T-shirt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$100 Individual Membership Level

Eligibility to receive the Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice) on the purchase or lease of most new Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, Dodge, SRT and FIAT vehicles. The Preferred Price – combined with current incentives – can be up to thousands of dollars off the Manufacture’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). [/B]•We are not permitted to release the Chrysler company code for the control number over the phone or through email. These codes will be included in the letter that is mailed out in your membership packet. No exceptions can be made. Please note that according to Chrysler policy, you must be a member for at least 30 days to qualify for the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards new vehicle discount. Thank you for your cooperation and patience, and thank you for supporting Tread Lightly!

My opinion is that a stock rubicon will out wheel a sport with 2.5" lift and 35's just because of the lockers. Get the Rubi and a cheap spacer lift and throw 35's under it and it will take you almost everywhere you'll want to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Codeapalooza

Agreed, this is a great setup and one that won't break the bank. 4" is overkill for just 35's and it'll make your tires look tiny. Heck, I run 40" tires with just 3" of lift now :yup:

Sounds good, I think I will go with the 3" lift then. So that's one thing decided... Lol. What's your opinion on the sport vs. rubi debate? It seems like there are always two differing opinions on this, buy the rubi because it comes with more or buy the sport and add upgrades as needed. So much to learn! :crazyeyes:

Codeapalooza

This may help you on the price: Join tread lightly and get 1% under invoice with no negotiations. I did this and
it worked. I joined for $25 in 2012, but a check on their website looks like they now have a tiered membership and you must pay the $100 level for the discount. Even at $100, I'm confident I would have saved in the end. Below are the tiers.

http://treadlightly.org/join/individual/chrysler-affiliates-reward-program/

As far as the rubicon, I would rather put the extra money into the mods myself.. For example, most off roaders
really don't need the 4.1, it's for rock crawling. (Just my opinion.)

good luck.

OVERVIEW OF MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
$25 Individual Membership Level

•Subscription to TREADlines – our very informative, educational e-newsletter
•Subscription to Trails – our popular full-color print newsletter
•Tread Lightly! Membership Sticker
•Member Discount in Tread Lightly!’s Store
•Eligibility to apply for a Tread Lightly! Cleanups by Quadratec grant.
•Receive 20% off your ENTIRE Goal Zero purchase.
•$10 credit to The Clymb when you sign up at www.theclymb.com/treadlightly
•A $100 mail-in rebate on WildPeak A/T tires from Falken Tire. Download the rebate form here.**
•10% off your ENTIRE Two Knobby Tires purchase.
•$50 mail-in rebate with purchase a set of four tires or $100 mail-in rebate if they buy a set of four tires and wheels from Discount Tire.
•20% off a subscription to OutdoorX4–email treadlightly@treadlightly.org for rebate code.

$50 Individual Membership Level
•2014 Member T-shirt

$100 Individual Membership Level

Eligibility to receive the Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice) on the purchase or lease of most new Chrysler, Jeep, Ram, Dodge, SRT and FIAT vehicles. The Preferred Price – combined with current incentives – can be up to thousands of dollars off the Manufacture’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). [/B]•We are not permitted to release the Chrysler company code for the control number over the phone or through email. These codes will be included in the letter that is mailed out in your membership packet. No exceptions can be made. Please note that according to Chrysler policy, you must be a member for at least 30 days to qualify for the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards new vehicle discount. Thank you for your cooperation and patience, and thank you for supporting Tread Lightly!

Thanks for the info I will look into this.

Codeapalooza

You never said what your off road intentions are. The level at which you off-road has a lot to do with how you spend your money. I only get out once every couple of months where as Eddy (Wayslife) Seems he wheels every day. I've had 35's with 3" lift, auto, and 373's for 4 years and 40k miles. No problem with drive shaft on jku. Your jeep will have 85 more hp. If you can find a sport w/ a limited slip diff, it will have 373's. Stay away from jeeps with steel rims. They will have the small gears and you would have to regear for sure. If you go with spacer lift, splurge and get better longer shocks and don't use spacers. Check Amazon, got a complete 3-1/2" rugged ridge lift for $500. Good luck

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

This brings up a good point, I should have mentioned what my plans are. I plan on wheeling as often as possible. Going out on the weekends. I would like to do as many of the trails in California as possible. Including the Rubicon and lots of places I have seen in videos. Also I would like my jeep to be capable in the desert if possible. My cousin goes out there and it would be cool to go along. Of course that is just a bonus.

Like I said before, I am new to this, so it will be all learning and seeing what I like. :clap2:

TheStick

This brings up a good point, I should have mentioned what my plans are. I plan on wheeling as often as possible. Going out on the weekends. I would like to do as many of the trails in California as possible. Including the Rubicon and lots of places I have seen in videos. Also I would like my jeep to be capable in the desert if possible. My cousin goes out there and it would be cool to go along. Of course that is just a bonus.

Like I said before, I am new to this, so it will be all learning and seeing what I like. :clap2:

Be aware that the comment about the 4:1 Tcase above is from someone in FL. I could see the thought if all you have is flat mud to wheel. Being in Cali, you would LOVE the 4:1 Tcase :thumb:

Top Bottom