2014 JKUR small coolant leak at thermostat housing

BigJeschke

Been smelling coolant the last couple of days. Upon checking over the engine I found a little bit of dried coolant on top of the thermostat housing. Looks like there might be some type of vent or plug on top of the housing where its coming from. Anyone else dealt with this before? I did a search but found nothing. Swinging by the dealer in a bit anyway.

TheDuff

Can you take a decent picture of the housing for reference? I don't own a pentastar, but curious if it's plastic etc. If the dealer has to replace or reseal the housing, it would be in your benefit to request a simple coolant flush. I've heard a few horror stories of casting sand in newer engines, though I hope by now that has been fixed, why risk it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aldaman

A while back, my thermostat housing had a slight coolant leak at the screw, which dried up. Whenever I scraped it off it would reappear. Took it to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. To date, after the replacement haven't had that issue come up.....

image.jpg

aldaman

Last edited:

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Can you take a decent picture of the housing for reference? I don't own a pentastar, but curious if it's plastic etc. If the dealer has to replace or reseal the housing, it would be in your benefit to request a simple coolant flush. I've heard a few horror stories of casting sand in newer engines, though I hope by now that has been fixed, why risk it?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Casting sand or what ever it was, was related to the 2012 and some 2013. Issue has reportedly been fixed for the later 2013 and all 2014

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BenoA

A while back, my thermostat housing had a slight coolant leak at the screw, which dried up. Whenever I scraped it off it would reappear. Took it to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. To date, after the replacement haven't had that issue come up.....

View attachment 93987

aldaman

Can someone show where to find that part in the engine bay of my JKU? Last evening while changing my engine air filter, I noticed an antifreeze/coolant smell. I checked my level and the coolant reservoir appeared almost empty (sorry no pic yet).

Also, would really appreciate if someone could show me what would be a normal "cold" level for the coolant reservoir. As said above, mine appeared very low.

Thanks in advance.

We're Saturday today, but I'll give a phone call to my dealer on Monday morning first thing.

BigJeschke

BenOA, pull up on the engine cover and look down to the right of the alternator. Mine does appear to be leaking from the screw cap that is pointed to as number4 on the diagram i'm posting. and i tried my best to get a good pic but it's an akward shot. 20140802_083247_zpskkffo67s.jpg

20140802_083454_zpszgbus1ro.jpg

BigJeschke

Also, why does the coolant in the radiator look pink/red, but the coolant in the overflow bottle looks purple? I have not added any myself as the vehicle only has 1500 miles on it.:thinking:

BigJeschke

View attachment 93987

aldaman

That is exactly what I think is going on in my situation. It's going in next Friday to get looked at and I verified that the dealer has the part on the shelf.

BenoA

No leaks on mine. Level of the coolant tank is a bit under the lower bulge on the reservoir. Looks normal for now except for the smell.

RMB357

2013 Rubicon - same issue

I have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited, same problem apparently, overflow slightly low, been smelling coolant for two months but can't find it, had it in to dealer twice, they think I am nuts..

Crotalus

Just had my 14 Rubi in last week for the water pump replacement (@ 1400 miles) and they also replaced the thermostat and housing because it was leaking just like above.

Benny

My 13 smells of antifreeze every once in awhile. Can never find a leak, dealer hasn't found anything either. Since it never overheats, I just chock it up to be a new Jeep thing. But have you guys noticed when the 3.6 is cool, the upper radiator hose is collapsed? like it's under vacuum.:thinking: I've seen 3 2013's do the same thing.

BenoA

But have you guys noticed when the 3.6 is cool, the upper radiator hose is collapsed? like it's under vacuum.:thinking: I've seen 3 2013's do the same thing.

Interesting observation. Can you post a pic and I'll compare it to my JK?

Thanks in advance

jorod15

I have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited, same problem apparently, overflow slightly low, been smelling coolant for two months but can't find it, had it in to dealer twice, they think I am nuts..

There's a dye you can buy that makes the coolant glow with a black light. You put it in when it's dark turn the car on and search with the black light. If you cnt find it right away you can probably check again after a couple days the residue will glow even if it's dried.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RMB357

Thats a little disturbing

Just had my 14 Rubi in last week for the water pump replacement (@ 1400 miles) and they also replaced the thermostat and housing because it was leaking just like above.

I just ordered 2015 Hardrock so hoping don't have that issue you just had, especially at only 1400 miles. Mine has not overheated yet but always odor..

davison0976

Thermostat housing hairline crack

I had the same issue on 2013 JK, - coolant seepage around the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. Upon close inspection, where I had to remove throttle body, I noticed a hairline crack in the area where the screw is. Bought new thermostat housing at the dealer for $32.85 not including tax. It comes as an assembly with thermostat, bleeder screw and rubber o-ring all put together. Replaced last weekend in my garage. No coolant leak, no coolant smell ever since.

2014-12-05 07.jpg

Last edited:
This just happened to me, crack formed at the plastic mold seam. Dealer wouldn't fix under warranty, but was nice enough to charge me $49 for a pressure test :sigh:, so I'll be ordering an aftermarket replacement.

Tree Frog

Dealer wouldn't fix under warranty
Are you serious? Brother I don't think your yelling loud enough. This is BS for them to not fix a cracked POS plastic part under warranty.
I would highly recommend you contact Chrysler and have a chat with them.

I had a slight coolant smell, was out of fluid in the reservoir except for a dark sludge crud in the bottom.
I took it in to the dealer for a check up and a flush out, at first they wanted me to pay for everything. Even with only 7100 miles on the vehicle, and an extended dealer warranty.
After a call to the nice lady at Chrysler I was given a case number. The repairs were free and the tech even found out I had a cracked radiator. (Sorry I was not told or shown where the crack was)
They flushed my system out good and filled her up with new OAT. It was low after a few days so I bought a gallon of OAT and a gallon of dist. water. IT took about 1/4 gallon to get the reservoir up to the bump out thing on the side.
So far so good.

Top Bottom