Fox Racing Shox JK 2007-14, 2.0 Performance Series ATS Stabilizer - worth it?

Finn Sizzle

I'm upgrading my whole steering and front end, it left out the Steering stabilizer because I was just going to reuse the OEM one. Is there really any benefit to this one...or any other SS for the matter.

So you know before you ask, I'm replacing the tie rod, drag link, knuckles and RCV axles.

Would rather not spend another $350 if there is not gonna be any real gain from it.

Thanks in advance!

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

Buster3479

I have it on Beast. It's a bit of an extra pain to mount, as it needs to stay relatively parallel to the tie rod unlike other stabilizers due to the way it's fixed and bracketed at the tie rod end. Also with my Reid knuckles, PR44 Unlimited Housing, Synergy linkages and Synergy weld on bracket, it's a bit more difficult to find a good place to mount it where it won't rub either the draglink or trackbar. It can be done, you just need to pay extra attention to it. I'm missing paint off of the "reservoir" from when I mounted it late at night and it hit the draglink. With care, it clears fine.

I like the adjustability, you can feel a definite difference between the adjuster screw all the way out, and all the way in. With that said I think it's more of an expensive novelty at this point. I take the Fox ATS off every time I do front end work to keep it "out of the loop", and Beast drive's find without it altogether at any speed. Were I to do it again, I'd probably roll stock and throw the $350 into something else. Take it for what it's worth, it's a really nice stabilizer, but I'm sure I could have got more bang for the buck somewhere else on my rig.

Heholua

IMO, if you want to upgrade your SS, why not go with a Redneck Ram that is hydro assisted steering for a couple hundred bucks more? IMO, the Fox isn't worth the $$$.

Rottenbelly

IMO, if you want to upgrade your SS, why not go with a Redneck Ram that is hydro assisted steering for a couple hundred bucks more? IMO, the Fox isn't worth the $$$.

This^. I have been running it for a few years now and so far it's holding up great.
Not sure how the new SS is but the older fox one gave me a push to the left going down the road.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I still roll with my stock one. When I damaged it I got a brand new stock one from a 2013 off of craigslist for $10 since everyone thinks you need to upgrade them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I still roll with my stock one. When I damaged it I got a brand new stock one from a 2013 off of craigslist for $10 since everyone thinks you need to upgrade them.

Funny thing is, while having a stabilizer is really nice to have, so long as your front end is dialed it, you don't even really need one. Hell, I have run months and thousands of miles without one on. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Funny thing is, while having a stabilizer is really nice to have, so long as your front end is dialed it, you don't even really need one. Hell, I have run months and thousands of miles without one on. :yup:

Yup! Couldn't agree with you more Eddie. When my old stock SS was damaged I took it off and ran without one for a few weeks. Since my alignment was in spec It still felt like I had one installed!

Finn Sizzle

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Money saved

TK5337

Smokinjoe

I have had the Fox ATS for a few weeks it is a luxury item and looks cool. That said I have found some benefit the previous SS pulled jeep left now it drives straight the adjustability works and still playing with it but like how the steering feels over previous SS. For me I like it so far.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the Fox ATS for a few weeks it is a luxury item and looks cool. That said I have found some benefit the previous SS pulled jeep left now it drives straight the adjustability works and still playing with it but like how the steering feels over previous SS. For me I like it so far.

Don't know what you had before but an OE steering stabilizer is nothing more than a hydro shock. In other words, it's passive and has no pressure and cannot cause pulling the way a pressurized stabilizer will.

Smokinjoe

I was running a Bilstien before the ATS
This was my comparison, it is certainly not for everyone but I'm still evaluating

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was running a Bilstien before the ATS
This was my comparison, it is certainly not for everyone but I'm still evaluating

Well, that certainly is an important bit of information being that the OP currently has a OE stabilizer and NOT a Bilstein.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with a $350 steering stabilizer, there's just no need for one. At least, not in my opinion and especially when the OP is hoping to not spend the extra cash.

JKbrick

I run without one at all, it's cheap. I'd put a stock one on but I gave mine away before I knew better

I run the ATS. Great shock, but honestly -the more I upgrade up front, the less of a difference it makes at the stiffer settings.
Stock steering, set to 15-20 it really stabilized the jeep. I drive a 2 door and the roads here in CT are the worst. A stabilizer does help.
I've run the TF 9550, Fox 2.0, and Rancho 7000. The latter 2 pushed the steering left.
The comments "I run no stabilizer" IMO it Relative depending on 2/4 door, road conditions, lift height/decent caster angle, tire type/size, etc.
I now have it set to 5 which is pretty much compatible to stock or less.
Worth it to me now ? No. When I bought it ? Absolutely.

Mikead40

I've had a fox ats for about 6 months now. In my opinion, money is better spent elsewhere. That's not to say i don't like it, I just haven't seen enough of a benefit over stock or the other cheaper options ( I had an old man emu before) to justify the added cost. Looks cool though...

Finn Sizzle

Thanks for the feedback all, especially those that had purchased and installed this and shared their honest opinion instead of "just buy it".

For now, I am going to keep the OEM and see how all of the upgrades I'm doing to the front end take.

TK5337

Mikead40

Thanks for the feedback all, especially those that had purchased and installed this and shared their honest opinion instead of "just buy it".

For now, I am going to keep the OEM and see how all of the upgrades I'm doing to the front end take.

TK5337

Good Call :thumb::beer:

CobaltTurbo

Hi Eddie, I was researching and found this thread and saw your response. As I respect your opinion I thought I would describe what has occurred and my mechanics recommendation and solicit a response from you!

I got the 5:13 gears installed, and requested the shop rotate tires while they had wheels off. After picking up Ruby last week I noticed steering wheel wobble that had not been there before. Obvious conclusion was one of rear wheels was not properly balanced.

So I took it into my off-road performance shop in town and they rebalanced both wheels, but noted they were out of round a little bit. The owner explained that bead lock rims have a "weakness" in getting tire perfectly centered. He suggested that if problem continued, going to the Fox AHS adjustable stabilizer. The owner took a look at the tracker bar, Pitman, and rest of setup(I had changed out both bolts to 9/16 grade 8 and retorqued to 125 ftlb)

Returning from shop the steering wheel wobble, most evident from 40-50MPH is still there. So I got on line and found lots of opinions, most positive, about the Fox product. I saw your comment on if the front end is properly set up you can run without the stabilizer, but if issue is with wheels? I have at least three quarters of tread left on the 35" Nitto grapplers. My profile has info on rest of vehicle setup.

I am looking for solution to the steering wheel wobble, but if it is as I though initially a problem with front wheels, the easy solution is switch the wheels back to rear of Ruby.

The question I have is, will the Fox stabilizer get rid of wobble to be able to continue to rotate wheels?

Not the famous death wobble, but annoying and I am a perfectionist (wife has another term for it)

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom