Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Upgrade to 60's, what's it gonna cost me?

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2 View Post
    You are correct my man! You can save some money with the junkyard axles, but you have to do a lot more modifications to get the clearance and strength of a ProRock 60. The photo below is a cut away of a (top to bottom) PR44, PR80, and PR60. Junkyard 60's don't have axle tubes that thick.
    Well said Greg. I have never actually saved money when I tried to save money whether that is a trail break down or just the cost of buying parts twice when it becomes obvious that the particular parts really didn’t perform or work as intended. This lesson has cost me quite at bit of $$$$.
    2010 Red Rubicon
    EVO Long Arm
    EVO Front Coilovers
    EVO Lever Rear Coilovers
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's Full floater
    ARB Lockers
    RCV Chromolly inner/outers & Front Shaft
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slabs
    Goodyear 40" MTR/Kevlars

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    I recently got a quote on Dynatrac 60s, 5:13, with ARBs,competition shafts, full float rear, high pinion, and all the works for 17K. Kids college accounts are so over rated. Wouldn't they rather have Jeep trips with bullet proof axles instead. Lol
    ....and 40's! Mine are still available lol
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Question for you guys with the Dynatrac PR60 axles. For the front, kingpin or ball joint? Why? I'm told they make both. and for the rear, high pinion or low pinion? I know the high pinion is not as strong of a ring gear. I'll be going full float for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Question for you guys with the Dynatrac PR60 axles. For the front, kingpin or ball joint? Why? I'm told they make both. and for the rear, high pinion or low pinion? I know the high pinion is not as strong of a ring gear. I'll be going full float for sure.
    Front axle: I have run both king pin and ball joint front ends. Years ago I would have said king pin is the only way to go, but now the with the new Dynatrac pro steer ball joints, I think they are definitely better than king pin front ends.

Rear axle: High pinion all the way. Even with large horsepower, I say high pinion and the reason comes down to drive line angles. The high pinion set up keeps your drive line angles as straight as possible with the current trend of 3"-5" lifts. Think about where your driveline angle needs to be at 100% of the time on road and 70-90% on the trail, in a neutral position where the yoke ears, u-joints, and driveshafts are all in a straight line and are not getting in a bind unless seeing flex. When things are straight, things are smooth at highway speeds. Steep driveline angles are known for vibrations that wear out u-joints and even worse, can lead to transfer cases exploding.
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    Question for you guys with the Dynatrac PR60 axles. For the front, kingpin or ball joint? Why? I'm told they make both. and for the rear, high pinion or low pinion? I know the high pinion is not as strong of a ring gear.
    As greg stated, a couple companies make far superior balljoints compared to 10 years ago.

When you talk of high vs. Low pinion, the ring gear is no "weaker" than in low pinion, they are the exact same. The weakness comes form the pinion running on the coast side of the ring gear. Now this is a problem when you talk of a f250 tow rig pulling a heavy trailer,or placing tall thin 5.38's in a Dana 44 and running heavy 40" tires. You, and 99% of wheelers, really shouldn't see many failures by running the larger 60 r&p in high pinion.
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris

As greg stated, a couple companies make far superior balljoints compared to 10 years ago.

When you talk of high vs. Low pinion, the ring gear is no "weaker" than in low pinion, they are the exact same. The weakness comes form the pinion running on the coast side of the ring gear. Now this is a problem when you talk of a f250 tow rig pulling a heavy trailer,or placing tall thin 5.38's in a Dana 44 and running heavy 40" tires. You, and 99% of wheelers, really shouldn't see many failures by running the larger 60 r&p in high pinion.
    Yeah I knew why the high pinion was weaker. I've wheeled with people who have run Currie Rock Jock III axles in their JK on 40s and the high pinion has caused teeth to be stripped off when the R&P failed. Wasn't sure if it was a Currie thing, and if Dynatrac has come up with a way to be more reliable in the high pinion rear axle that the currie setup. Good to hear everyone has had good results with the ball joint 60.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi

Lots of good info in this thread, so I wanted to bump it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234