Maxxis trepador radial

Mikead40

I found a few old threads without much info - anyone currently running these, or seen anyone running these? Thoughts on them?

thardy

Banned
These will actually be the next tires I put on. I'm currently running the Bighorns and love them. My wife actually works for Maxxis and from what the guys she works with say, the Trepadors are the way to go. Not to mention I get get a pretty sweet discount! :D

Sent from WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikead40

Thanks thardy.
I've pretty much decided on these, so this thread was a last ditch effort to uncover any strong feelings about them in either direction. Not a lot of responses, so either not a lot of people are running them or they're just not chiming in.So it looks like I'll be buying a set (37s), mounting them on the BAD wheels I just ordered (also not a lot of reviews because they're relatively new), smack'em around for a few months and let y'all know how they work out. :rock:

CRAZYCASEY

Here's a pic of some 40" comp stickies we mounted up for a friend Saturday. I personally would go with the creepy crawler in a bias ply for wheeling and some street use if road manners are more important I think there are better all around tires than trep radials

Attachments

• image-857458347.jpg
    image-857458347.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 586

Mikead40

Here's a pic of some 40" comp stickies we mounted up for a friend Saturday. I personally would go with the creepy crawler in a bias ply for wheeling and some street use if road manners are more important I think there are better all around tires than trep radials

Yea, the competition ones look awesome - I'm sure they're amazing off road. While my jeep is not my DD, I will be driving it on a few 1000+ miles trips in the relatively near future, so road manners & DOT compliance are important. I looked at the Creepy Crawler too, but they don't make it for a 17" rim.

Thanks for your input :beer:

Mikead40

Just saw where you ended up picking up a set of Trepadors. How you like em so far?

I love'em. Great road manners, quiet on the road. Equally impressive off road. Flexible sidewall helps them grip well when I have them aired down below 10PSI. On a side note, I recently took a trip that included 1000 miles highway driving and 2-3 days out in west texas desert trails. When I was on those trails I was constatntly picking mesquite thorns (which are huge) and prickly pear cactus thorns out of these tires. I thought for sure I'd end up with a flat, but after three days, all 4 tires had the exact same PSI as when I started the trip.
They seem to be wearing fairly well, but I only have about 2500 miles on them.
Overall, I'm really happy with my Tire & Wheel ( B.A.D. Wheels ) combination.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 417
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417879366.117420.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1417879366.117420.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 416

thardy

Banned
I love'em. Great road manners, quiet on the road. Equally impressive off road. Flexible sidewall helps them grip well when I have them aired down below 10PSI. On a side note, I recently took a trip that included 1000 miles highway driving and 2-3 days out in west texas desert trails. When I was on those trails I was constatntly picking mesquite thorns (which are huge) and prickly pear cactus thorns out of these tires. I thought for sure I'd end up with a flat, but after three days, all 4 tires had the exact same PSI as when I started the trip.
They seem to be wearing fairly well, but I only have about 2500 miles on them.
Overall, I'm really happy with my Tire & Wheel ( B.A.D. Wheels ) combination.

Awesome! Good to hear it. That's probably going to be the next tires on mine. :thumb:

seanb123

so i wanted to bump this thread up. Been looking into the trepador radial and bias. Was wondering what are some opinions of the tires and does anyone have a clue about how long these tires are supposed to last.

kgw350

I just picked up a set of the new Maxxis bias Trepador. Can't wait to try them out. I would not get the bias if you drive on the road a lot. The Radial is not a very saute out tire.

1421629219494.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikead40

so i wanted to bump this thread up. Been looking into the trepador radial and bias. Was wondering what are some opinions of the tires and does anyone have a clue about how long these tires are supposed to last.

Overall, I'm still happy with them. I've got about 6k miles on them now. All of my previously stated "Pros" about the tires still stand - basically good on road, great off road, durable, easy to balance. The "con" that is starting to come to light: they're wearing a bit faster than I would have expected. Definitely faster than the Toyos I had on my Jeep before. I just ran into a guy that has them in 40s with about 25k miles on them and they're quite worn. Not totally done, but definitely getting there.

Still, I have relatively low miles on them so it remains to be seen exactly what the tread life will be; I'll update again in a few months.

thardy

Banned
Overall, I'm still happy with them. I've got about 6k miles on them now. All of my previously stated "Pros" about the tires still stand - basically good on road, great off road, durable, easy to balance. The "con" that is starting to come to light: they're wearing a bit faster than I would have expected. Definitely faster than the Toyos I had on my Jeep before. I just ran into a guy that has them in 40s with about 25k miles on them and they're quite worn. Not totally done, but definitely getting there.

Still, I have relatively low miles on them so it remains to be seen exactly what the tread life will be; I'll update again in a few months.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm interested in the first hand knowledge on these cause I can get Maxxis tires at a discount, but don't want to waste the money on the trepadors if I'm going to have to buy tires a lot more frequently than with the Big Horns.

Mikead40

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm interested in the first hand knowledge on these cause I can get Maxxis tires at a discount, but don't want to waste the money on the trepadors if I'm going to have to buy tires a lot more frequently than with the Big Horns.

Definitely - also I should mention that the rig running those 40s had a 6.4L hemi and dynatrac 60s front and back - so it was a pretty heavy Jeep. I'm sure that contributed a lot to the wear I saw

seanb123

Thanks for the update. As much as I want them I've heard that they wear too fast from mostly everyone I've asked. Unfortunately I do daily my rig so I think I'm going to have to shy away from the trepadors

Mikead40

Thanks for the update. As much as I want them I've heard that they wear too fast from mostly everyone I've asked. Unfortunately I do daily my rig so I think I'm going to have to shy away from the trepadors

Understandable - fortunately my Jeep isn't my daily driver so I'm not as stressed about tread life...still, I'd hope to get at least 35 out of them....Anyway, check out the BF Goodrich KM2s if long tread life is really important for you. They have the best tread life of any mud terrain tire I've seen (people I Jeep with have 50k + miles on them and they're still in decent shape). Just be aware that they tend to run small (like most tires, but these seem to be particularly small).

Top Bottom