Impact wrench

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
so im looking into getting an impact wrench so to make life a little easier for when i am taking my wheels off and doing other things on the jeep at home. i dont have an air compressor so im looking into a cordless one or a wired one. is one better than the other? is there one that you would recommend? im currently looking on harbor freight because they usually have gread deals on stuff but im open to anywhere.

thanks! :beer:

jjsmail

I have the habor freight 1/2" corded one I think I bought it for $40 and all I use it for is breaking lugs and it works fine.

rinkishjk

Ir makes a great cordless impact gun. It's a bit pricey but worth it. For air powered I love my Mac tools 1/2" impact.

Attachments

• 1407246733383.jpg
    1407246733383.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 364

tapcola

I have been running cordless for years in my trade I have had them all . You get what you pay for . I have been running Makitas for awhile now but have been looking at the new line from Matco .They have a 1/2 that will bust lug nuts off !

maxcustody

I have a harbor freight one and has worked great. I used it to install my lift. I have had the tires off too many times (trial and error issues) and is a huge time-saver............

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
gonna bust my nuts off of me at the price :cheesy:

Yeah, pretty much all the really good cordless tools will cost about that much when you include the battery and charger. The trick is to get the same brand of all your power tools and if at all possible, something your friends all use as well. That way you only need to get one charger and can swap tools with ease. For this reason, I have started getting Milwaukee M18 tools. I used to get the more expensive M24 stuff but, none of my other friends have them. :rolleyes2:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah, pretty much all the really good cordless tools will cost about that much when you include the battery and charger. The trick is to get the same brand of all your power tools and if at all possible, something your friends all use as well. That way you only need to get one charger and can swap tools with ease. For this reason, I have started getting Milwaukee M18 tools. I used to get the more expensive M24 stuff but, none of my other friends have them. :rolleyes2:

so you would recommend a cordless one then? i guess that makes sense cause i could take it out on the trail with me. didnt think about that

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't guarantee that it'll work as good or better than the IR impact but, it is a bit more affordable and so far, I've been pretty happy with my Milwaukee cordless tools. And yes, going cordless will allow you to take them on the trail with you and believe me, I have used mine on multiple occasions. In fact, you can see them being used on our last JKX video :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well, I can't guarantee that it'll work as good or better than the IR impact but, it is a bit more affordable and so far, I've been pretty happy with my Milwaukee cordless tools. And yes, going cordless will allow you to take them on the trail with you and believe me, I have used mine on multiple occasions. In fact, you can see them being used on our last JKX video :crazyeyes:

awesome! well i just bought it (kit posted above) and should be here next week. thanks everyone for your input! :yup:

Rottenbelly

I have had good luck with the ole craftsman. Upgraded to the lithium battery and it seems to have more punch now.
Was under 200 bucks. I still carry a breaker bar just in case

I rarely fire up my air compressor anymore. Cordless is so convenient and can go anywhere without the worry of air or long enough hose.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407269818.394746.jpg

Found this on the Snappy truck. Someone ordered it and didn't pick it up so I got it for a good deal. The newer models are better, stronger and of course lithium ion. However I wouldn't pass up a good deal on the older stuff if you happen across one.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I rarely fire up my air compressor anymore. Cordless is so convenient and can go anywhere without the worry of air or long enough hose.

View attachment 94437

Found this on the Snappy truck. Someone ordered it and didn't pick it up so I got it for a good deal. The newer models are better, stronger and of course lithium ion. However I wouldn't pass up a good deal on the older stuff if you happen across one.

I second this, all the guys in the shop I work at have switched all their stuff over to cordless. About the only air tools they use anymore are drills and cutoff wheels. They all like the idea of being able to use the same batteries for their flash lights to their impacts. I haven't bit the bullet yet since I'm in the office at work and rarely do much on my jeep at home (usually mess with it at work and use their tools...shhh). If I do, I just fire up the air compressor.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
When I worked at the stealership air was still the king, after I left I bought a cordless 1/2 inch and a cordless 3/8 inch Snap On from the dealer that went by work because we remain friends to this day. I also bought a second 1/2 inch and a set of sockets for my step dad for Father's Day several years ago and he takes them when he is pulling any of his trailers. He has had so many rotator cup surgeries and other shoulder/arm surgeries that he can't really crank down on a lug wrench anymore. The 30 ft gooseneck he hauls the tractor on has 1 and 1/8 inch lug nuts if I remember right. I've used the 1/2 on the tractor lug nuts and other stuff and on several two tons and a few semis. The 3/8 has worked great on working on jeeps and it has pulled a few lugnuts when needed but I try to always use the 1/2 inch.

I have not tried any other brand in newer stuff. I have tried some older stuff and wasn't impressed, even with some older Snap-On impacts I wasn't impressed. Some didn't even look that used but just seemed very weak.

As far as the Snap On ones they are not cheap, but I have found them to be well worth the money. Made me wonder why I didn't buy one sooner.

Zstairlessone

The M18 Milwaukee stuff is what everyone here uses too. Pretty good, no failures that I've seen, the 1/2 and 3/8 get the job done. I'm looking at their drills now. Nice to be able to borrow and lend and have your own batts and chargers

Top Bottom