Is this normal??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well how in the hell did that happen? Your driver side is definitely NOT normal but, you should take care when straightening it back out as the hard line will be more brittle now and can break.

noroad

Well how in the hell did that happen? Your driver side is definitely NOT normal but, you should take care when straightening it back out as the hard line will be more brittle now and can break.

Thats what i would like to know, everything behind the fender doesnt look moved to me but i can take a pic of that as well. How do u suggest moving it back to normal?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats what i would like to know, everything behind the fender doesnt look moved to me but i can take a pic of that as well. How do u suggest moving it back to normal?

It sucks that the bend is so close to the connecting nut as you may end up with a leak there if you straighten it out. At this point and time, I would loosen the retainer clip bolt and then use a pair of vice grips to clamp down on the retainer clip itself and slowly and carefully try to rotate it back to a horizontal position. You can try bending the hard line further up as well to help make this possible. I doubt you'll get it on perfect but I would try to do what you can. I would also try to get your speed sensor line out of that pretzel too.

noroad

It sucks that the bend is so close to the connecting nut as you may end up with a leak there if you straighten it out. At this point and time, I would loosen the retainer clip bolt and then use a pair of vice grips to clamp down on the retainer clip itself and slowly and carefully try to rotate it back to a horizontal position. You can try bending the hard line further up as well to help make this possible. I doubt you'll get it on perfect but I would try to do what you can. I would also try to get your speed sensor line out of that pretzel too.

Ya i walked out this morning and was like that looks wrong! so if it starts to leak should i cut and redue the break lines on the upper half, just to get it stright?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya i walked out this morning and was like that looks wrong! so if it starts to leak should i cut and redue the break lines on the upper half, just to get it stright?

Weird. Almost as if your brake line got caught on something and pulled up hard enough to bend the hard line. Any chance of that? Maybe your shoulder lugs caught the line on a hard turn?

Either way, yeah, if it does start to leak, you can easily fix the hard line by cutting it above the bend with a small tube cutter and then you can re-flare it with a flare tool. Take all but 10 mins to fix. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
Might be totally unrelated...or maybe I'm seeing things. Is there some rub marks on the drivers side that are not on the passenger? Maybe something is catching the brake line mount/speed sensor wire and causing it to turn. Just an observation and no idea if this is at all related.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407263004.823016.jpg

noroad

Weird. Almost as if your brake line got caught on something and pulled up hard enough to bend the hard line. Any chance of that? Maybe your shoulder lugs caught the line on a hard turn?

Either way, yeah, if it does start to leak, you can easily fix the hard line by cutting it above the bend with a small tube cutter and then you can re-flare it with a flare tool. Take all but 10 mins to fix. :yup:

Well my jeep loves trees so deff a change of some of that grabing the line on a turn! I think im just going to cut and throw in a small 4 inch new tube to be on the safe side. Thanks again for clearing it up for me!

noroad

Might be totally unrelated...or maybe I'm seeing things. Is there some rub marks on the drivers side that are not on the passenger? Maybe something is catching the brake line mount/speed sensor wire and causing it to turn. Just an observation and no idea if this is at all related.

Ya i will look more in to that as well, but i think it was just a good stick or log that got thrown up in there. I think :thinking: just dont see the tire scratching the frame.

noroad

So i through a new line on after cutting the factory hard line and re flanging it out, but it doesnt have that small gap that most all break lins have anymore. its just bothering me a little, is that ok or should i just grab a new whole factory drivers side line and bring it back to normal or is that ok? pic is coming in one moment.

noroad

If youre not comfortable with it get a new line. Isnt that the side we had trouble with to begin with? Might just be a good sign to start all over

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

well i called to get a price and the pipe, it is 5 bucks so i will have it by tomorrow!

JKbrick

So i through a new line on after cutting the factory hard line and re flanging it out, but it doesnt have that small gap that most all break lins have anymore. its just bothering me a little, is that ok or should i just grab a new whole factory drivers side line and bring it back to normal or is that ok? pic is coming in one moment.

I read you got a new line but did you double flare it? Maybe that is where the gap comes from? Not relevant at this point

well i called to get a price and the pipe, it is 5 bucks so i will have it by tomorrow!

That's a crappy line to replace. It is so close the the ABS unit that their really is no way to replace it without getting air in it. I made this mistake and the bleeding was a total PITA. I hope yours goes better!

noroad

That's a crappy line to replace. It is so close the the ABS unit that their really is no way to replace it without getting air in it. I made this mistake and the bleeding was a total PITA. I hope yours goes better!

Im pretty sure that i have to take everything out on that side to replace the whole line from the box to the flex line. Its going to suck, no what did you do if the front runs completly empty??

Im pretty sure that i have to take everything out on that side to replace the whole line from the box to the flex line. Its going to suck, no what did you do if the front runs completly empty??

Wife and I tag-teamed bleeding. (she pumped while I worked the nuts :naw:) Three times we thought we were good, then as soon as we started the Jeep the pedal went to or near the floor. The fourth time was the one that finally let us drive the Jeep for a couple days, then we did it one final time (complete system bleed) and it was good. The whole process used two large bottles of fluid.

Some programmers allow you to cycle the abs pump which would allow for a more complete bleed without the happy dance we went through :doh:

I have never had a more difficult brake system bleed in my life!

noroad

Wife and I tag-teamed bleeding. (she pumped while I worked the nuts :naw:) Three times we thought we were good, then as soon as we started the Jeep the pedal went to or near the floor. The fourth time was the one that finally let us drive the Jeep for a couple days, then we did it one final time (complete system bleed) and it was good. The whole process used two large bottles of fluid.

Some programmers allow you to cycle the abs pump which would allow for a more complete bleed without the happy dance we went through :doh:

I have never had a more difficult brake system bleed in my life!

how much is it for the dealer to do it? do you no might be worth it before the winter for me!

Top Bottom