Control arm adjuster seized

I am having some new gears put in finally. While it was in the shop, I knew my caster was out so I asked them to adjust it and since I am getting some new shoes put on this weekend, I thought I would have them do an alignment too. Now they are telling me my upper control arm adjustment rings are seized. Granted I live in Utah were we go through a lot of salt in the winters, but I try to keep it cleaned. They are only a year old, so they shouldn't be that tough to break. I know enough about metals to know that when you add two different kinds of metal along with a salt water environment, the metals can weld together. Any thoughts on how to break them, and should I replace them( the aluminum rings)?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
The jamb nut stuck? That sucks, maybe someone from the rust belt knows something. Usually a good soaking in lubricant and heat. Plus these may have some ft pounds behind them. What arms are these?

The jamb nut stuck? That sucks, maybe someone from the rust belt knows something. Usually a good soaking in lubricant and heat. Plus these may have some ft pounds behind them. What arms are these?

Jam nuts are undone, now the adjuster ring is Seized. They have been soaking them and when I called a half hour ago, they were going to dry them and apply the torch!

EVO.... Out of their DD upgrade kit. I sent an email to Andrew at EVO asking for input/ ideas too.

Edit: oh sorry, you got it. Is the evo adjuster like Synergy's double adjuster ?

Heat/PB blaster, a big F'n wrench and maybe a hammer.

I thought I would never break the jam nuts on my TF lowers. I bought a massive 24" adjustable wrench at HF.
Little heat/PB and 2/3 hard whacks. They broke free.

Spray your parts down with Fluid film over the winter months. Stuff is amazing,

Heat/PB blaster, a big F'n wrench and maybe a hammer.

I thought I would never break the jam nuts on my TF lowers. I bought a massive 24" adjustable wrench at HF.
Little heat/PB and 2/3 hard whacks. They broke free.

Spray your parts down with Fluid film over the winter months. Stuff is amazing,

It's not the nuts, it's the adjuster sleeve. You only get a 1/4" nub in one hole to adjust AND the wrench is short= no leverage w/I a cheater bar!

I will have to try the "fluid film"! Thanks!!

olram30

Well how much adjustment do you need? Does the Johnny joint move? I don't have these arms, the evo short arms are on my list. The jj screws into the sleeve and the sleeve screws in also correct?

olram30

If these are your front uppers seized, I would just leave them and adjust the lowers for caster. Unless it turned into a ocd thing and a challenge that the uppers won't budge.

2013CGJKU

If you don't care about how they look (they are suspension parts) you could grab the adjuster with a big pipe wrench.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. There is a bolt and a nut on top(that is the locking system). Those are loosened and then you adjust the aluminum part. As you screw it in, it adjust's the length of the CA. Then you lock the bolt and nut on top down again. The aluminum part is what will not turn to make the adjustments (cold welded to the metal).

As you can see, it is WAY out there in adjustment! TOO MUCH! Another shop I took it to for a couple other adjustments took it upon themselves to adjust my CA's! That's a whole other story!!:doh: IMG_1790.jpg

olram30

Is the arm on the jeep or are they still trying to adjust it on the jeep? You probably have a better chance of getting it loose off.

noroad

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. There is a bolt and a nut on top(that is the locking system). Those are loosened and then you adjust the aluminum part. As you screw it in, it adjust's the length of the CA. Then you lock the bolt and nut on top down again. The aluminum part is what will not turn to make the adjustments (cold welded to the metal).

As you can see, it is WAY out there in adjustment! TOO MUCH! Another shop I took it to for a couple other adjustments took it upon themselves to adjust my CA's! That's a whole other story!!:doh: View attachment 94620

Can u take a pic of the top side for me? Does thee bolt go all the wat throw into a nut? 1) can you get heat on the nut? 2) can you just cut the nut off and put another on on? 3) PB blast it for a day, Post a close up pic for me!

olram30

Can u take a pic of the top side for me? Does thee bolt go all the wat throw into a nut? 1) can you get heat on the nut? 2) can you just cut the nut off and put another on on? 3) PB blast it for a day, Post a close up pic for me!

He got that bolt loose, now the control arm is stuck in the adjuster sleeve, and the sleeve is stuck in the front part of the arm.

Last edited:

Roscoj

Can you remove the pinch bolt and stick a flat head driver or something in the slot to open it up bit. Might be able to twist the adjuster at the same time?

I dunno.

Possibly remove the arm from one end of the jeep and affix a pry bar or lever of some kind to the end of the arm to act as a wrench to loosen it up.

I might be reaching.

noroad

He got that bolt loose, now the control arm is stuck in the adjuster sleeve, and the sleeve is stuck in the front part of the arm.

haha i dont have the nice ones that have that! i have to take mine off to change. so i guess next question is can you just un bolt it from the axle and try and twist the end all the way off to put on a new on?

Can you remove the pinch bolt and stick a flat head driver or something in the slot to open it up bit. Might be able to twist the adjuster at the same time?

I dunno.

Possibly remove the arm from one end of the jeep and affix a pry bar or lever of some kind to the end of the arm to act as a wrench to loosen it up.

I might be reaching.

All good points! It is still at the shop. I am going to head up in the morning to see what I can work out! Wish I had done a few sets of gears and I wouldn't be in this mess..... Thanks all.

Top Bottom