Auto vs. manual trans

JKsix

I've only owned manual jeeps and have had no problem offroading. Some of my buddies swear by there auto trans wranglers because they don't need to worry about the clutch. I am just wondering what are everyone's opinions on this matter and what do you have in your jeep?

JandSJK

I have had both auto and manual wrangler and i do have to say i like the auto better. Its about a 50/50 split in our group auto/manuals the younger guys are mostly 6spds and me and a couple of the older guys run autos. For me I like it because i can pay more attention to the trail. The only downfall so far is in a really steep ledge i think i loose fluid suction and the trans seems to slip. Other than that i like mine.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I like my 6 speed. With the 5.13 axle gears, 4:1 low range in the xfer case, and the 4.xx:1 1st gear in the tranny, I rarely have to clutch in on the trail because it crawls so slow. I can two foot the brake pedal and it won't stall. I've done some very technical wheeling in Florence Junction here in AZ and never thought I needed an automatic. Plus I'm not worried about some hot oil light.

StrizzyChris

I had been struggling with this myself. I didnt want one more thing to worry about while on a difficult trail, but I HATE an auto having a mind of its own while going up a grade. I also like using lower rpm shift points to conserve mpg's and wear&tear on the engine.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Not gonna lie though. I'd have an auto if I had a Pentastar '12 JK. My biggest complaint about the auto behind the the 3.8, is the 4 gears, widely spaced ratios, and inability to keep the engine in its best range for good torque.

FloggingMommy

I was really concerned when I bought my new jeep about getting an auto. Would I have enough control, the same amount of torque etc. then balancing that between the ease of driving and having that hand and foot free. I have to say, after doing what little offloading I have done, the TapShift on the 2012 is really nice.

Does this carry on to more aggressive offroading? What concerns do I need to take into consideration?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Auto in my 2012. Use the tap shifting all the time off road...that is, when I remember its there. :cheesy:

JKsix

Ok what I'm getting so far is I'm not missing out on anything with my manual. And either one is good on the trail depending on your level of skill

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Ok what I'm getting so far is I'm not missing out on anything with my manual. And either one is good on the trail depending on your level of skill

That's pretty much my take on things too. I have always had manual transmissions in my vehicles. l have the manual tranny in the Jeep as well. When I first started to hit more advanced trails, I would stall it or press in the clutch too soon and start to roll backwards. That doesn't happen as much nowadays, but I have a better touch and sense of obstacles with more experience. Not to say that it doesn't still happen once in awhile.

The guys I wheel with are mostly autos and are patient with me when I get in a situation. They have all been there before with/without manny transmisions.

Having said all that, I appreciate the less complicated aspect of the autos and will be converting to the auto with my next Jeep.

JKsix

Strainger said:
That's pretty much my take on things too. I have always had manual transmissions in my vehicles. l have the manual tranny in the Jeep as well. When I first started to hit more advanced trails, I would stall it or press in the clutch too soon and start to roll backwards. That doesn't happen as much nowadays, but I have a better touch and sense of obstacles with more experience. Not to say that it doesn't still happen once in awhile.

The guys I wheel with are mostly autos and are patient with me when I get in a situation. They have all been there before with/without manny transmisions.

Having said all that, I appreciate the less complicated aspect of the autos and will be converting to the auto with my next Jeep.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch to auto when I get my first JK down the road a bit.

1Bvs3G

I know I'm still pretty new to the forums and to offroading, but I have couple small inputs. I learned in my Dad's old manual CJ-5, so needless to say I stalled out a bunch of times when first started. And of course my Dad always saying, "Manual is the only way to enjoy off roading!" Although, with my recent purchase I went auto mainly because I had my wife in mind and I wanted her to enjoy driving the Jeep as well. With the recent trail I went on, even know it was pretty easy, the auto made it ever so much more easy. Yet, I should say it didn't kill the fun or enjoyment... Just like mentioned before, you don't have to worry about stalling and can pay more attention to everything around you. Either way, personal preference...pro's an con's to both transmissions...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
we've wheeled manuals forever, still have one in our old 07 and love wheeling it. of course, we have also wheeled autos and our 12 has one now. having said that, i'd have to say that wheeling an auto really is a lot easier and so much so that cindy and i call it cheating :D

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
i'd have to say that wheeling an auto really is a lot easier and so much so that cindy and i call it cheating :D

just going to say

Auto = Cheating....

Having said that, I wish i went with the Auto, Just for driving in LA traffic every day :crazyeyes: We have never owned a auto Wrangler. Our 2012 has a 6 speed transmission. We really do like the control you get offroad. The new brake assist on the 2012's works awesome offroad. You no longer need three feet on inclines.

JKsix

wayoflife said:
we've wheeled manuals forever, still have one in our old 07 and love wheeling it. of course, we have also wheeled autos and our 12 has one now. having said that, i'd have to say that wheeling an auto really is a lot easier and so much so that cindy and i call it cheating :D

Yea I'm pretty sure I'm going with an auto when I pick up my first JK someday

4-Lo

I looked for ages to find a base Rubicon Unlimited with a manual and I wouldn't trade it for anything. There's something about driving manual that just makes the Jeep feel like a Jeep. The hill-hold feature on the 2012's makes a HUGE difference both on and off-road, making launches in dicey situations easy, and feels like cheating. I love my manual Jeep and I'll keep buying them until Chrysler stops making them!

DA RUNT

I learned to drive on a manual, and love em. I get lazy when I drive an auto and don't pay as much attention to the road. Off roading is a lil more challenging but I enjoy it. Personal preference is what it all boils down to. Go with what you like.

Top Bottom