37's+ and brake question

DA RUNT

Hi, my names Travis and I'm a Jeepaholic. Was wondering what everyone with larger tires has done to improve stopping distance. I'm only going to be running 37's on a 13 JKUR but would still like to be able to stop quick, fast and in a hurry if need be. Are the factory brakes sufficient for 37's? I've done some research (via Google) and have found the Teraflex big brake kit and not much else. Any feedback on this system or knowledge of any other would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JKFlyer

It works great. I got it plus master cylinder. Well worth it. 35s OK...once 37s had to get it

There is a thread here of somebody coming up w alternatives for big brake system....pretty detailed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

DA RUNT

It works great. I got it plus master cylinder. Well worth it. 35s OK...once 37s had to get it

There is a thread here of somebody coming up w alternatives for big brake system....pretty detailed

The one majik wrote? I was reading through that also, but hoping for something bolt in as i'm pretty darn lazy :yup:

JKFlyer

Its called ..my own jk big brake research

I also wanted one done and went for it. Its a lot $$ but definitely big braking improvement and that's one thing I don't want skimp on

If u were local to NJ I'd say come test drive mine

DA RUNT

Its called ..my own jk big brake research

I also wanted one done and went for it. Its a lot $$ but definitely big braking improvement and that's one thing I don't want skimp on

If u were local to NJ I'd say come test drive mine

Thanks, I'm about 1 day and 10 hours away by flight according to google maps lol. Yeah I don't wanna skimp on safety

Heholua

Hi, my names Travis and I'm a Jeepaholic. Was wondering what everyone with larger tires has done to improve stopping distance. I'm only going to be running 37's on a 13 JKUR but would still like to be able to stop quick, fast and in a hurry if need be. Are the factory brakes sufficient for 37's? I've done someresearch (via Google) and have found the Teraflex big brake kit and not much else. Any feedback on this system or knowledge of any other would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

These are the brakes that I installed last weekend.
1408082897285.jpg

Last edited:

Jaysend

If you have a healthy budget, wilwood makes a 14" rotor 4 piston kit for the front and baer makes a 13.5" 6 piston front and 4 piston rear kit.

I am going with baer.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
If you were budget minded, I'd say just go with some good performance pads like Hawk or EBC with some slotted rotors. Heat is the enemy that causes brake fade. I'm running 35s and after 30,000 miles I've noticed a slight pulsation when braking. Not gonna worry about it until the pads are wore out or the pulsation gets severe.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, my names Travis and I'm a Jeepaholic. Was wondering what everyone with larger tires has done to improve stopping distance. I'm only going to be running 37's on a 13 JKUR but would still like to be able to stop quick, fast and in a hurry if need be. Are the factory brakes sufficient for 37's? I've done some research (via Google) and have found the Teraflex big brake kit and not much else. Any feedback on this system or knowledge of any other would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Maybe I'm just a dumbass but I still run factory brakes with my 37's and have never felt the need for bigger brakes. Sure, if you compare the stopping power of a close to 6,000 JK to a Honda Civic, it's not gonna feel that great but even in Jeeps with big brakes, I haven't seen them do a whole lot better. If it were me, I would stick to OE brake pads and save your money but hey, that's just me.

DA RUNT

Maybe I'm just a dumbass but I still run factory brakes with my 37's and have never felt the need for bigger brakes. Sure, if you compare the stopping power of a close to 6,000 JK to a Honda Civic, it's not gonna feel that great but even in Jeeps with big brakes, I haven't seen them do a whole lot better. If it were me, I would stick to OE brake pads and save your money but hey, that's just me.

Thanks, wasn't sure if i'd need them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, wasn't sure if i'd need them.

Well, some people will swear that you do need them. If you do a brake comparison test with OE brakes vs. the TeraFlex big brake kit, I think you will find that the difference in stopping power isn't as impressive as the price tag for them is. Of course, I'm just trying to save you some money.

I have 37's with stock brakes and have never had a problem stopping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DA RUNT

Well, some people will swear that you do need them. If you do a brake comparison test with OE brakes vs. the TeraFlex big brake kit, I think you will find that the difference in stopping power isn't as impressive as the price tag for them is. Of course, I'm just trying to save you some money.

I was just reading the stopping distance test results, meh I'll run OE. Thanks Eddie, now I can spend that money on a tie rod and ball joints :thumb: What's your recommendation for tie rod?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I had the Teraflex kit. Worked great and it's a substantial improvement....I mean night and day. Is it a lot of money? I guess that's a relative term, but for less than $1k it's something you can use and will use daily. Considering big brakes are never cheap, I think it's a relative bargain compared with similar setups on sports cars. Maybe the crowd here is more used to big tire stopping distances, but if you have a lead foot I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 37's with stock brakes and have never had a problem stopping.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :crazyeyes:

I was just reading the stopping distance test results, meh I'll run OE. Thanks Eddie, now I can spend that money on a tie rod and ball joints :thumb: What's your recommendation for tie rod?

If you can afford it, Dyantrac ProSteers are the best ball joints you can get bar none. They will literally be the last set you will ever need to buy and right now, they are offering $100 off of them. As far as tie-rods go, I have tried a few and prefer to run a Currie. They are hands down the most expensive one you can get but, they are also the strongest, easiest to adjust and come with TRE's that are just stupid beefy. Here is a sample cutaway shot of how much bigger and better they are...

main.php

Factory...
main.php

Currie...
main.php

I had the Teraflex kit. Worked great and it's a substantial improvement....I mean night and day. Is it a lot of money? I guess that's a relative term, but for less than $1k it's something you can use and will use daily. Considering big brakes are never cheap, I think it's a relative bargain compared with similar setups on sports cars. Maybe the crowd here is more used to big tire stopping distances, but if you have a lead foot I think it's a worthwhile investment.

Well, anyone who knows me knows that I drive like an old grandma in an old Datsun so I guess that's why I don't feel the need for something like a TeraFlex big brake kit.

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Big brakes were a night and day improvement? I haven't heard that before.... Unless someone is trying to justify spending less than $1k on brakes that deliver a small percentage increase over stock.

DA RUNT

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :crazyeyes:

If you can afford it, Dyantrac ProSteers are the best ball joints you can get bar none. They will literally be the last set you will ever need to buy and right now, they are offering $100 off of them. As far as tie-rods go, I have tried a few and prefer to run a Currie. They are hands down the most expensive one you can get but, they are also the strongest, easiest to adjust and come with TRE's that are just stupid beefy. Here is a sample cutaway shot of how much bigger and better they are...

main.php

Factory...
main.php

Currie...
main.php

Well, anyone who knows me knows that I drive like an old grandma in an old Datsun so I guess that's why I don't feel the need for something like a TeraFlex big brake kit.

Thanks, those are what I was looking at, you just sealed the deal :yup:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Big brakes were a night and day improvement? I haven't heard that before.... Unless someone is trying to justify spending less than $1k on brakes that deliver a small percentage increase over stock.

I guess that depends on what you consider a "small percentage". It must have all been in my head when I thought my grand cherokee SRT8 stopped better than my Grand Cherokee overland or that my E55 AMG stopped better than my E500 or that The entire field of viper race cars could trust our lives to the Stoptech/Alcon big brake kits on our vipers over the stock brembos. Or maybe those were all small percentages too and marketing gobbledygook spewed by manufacurwrs for gear heads. Maybe it's not worth it in your heads but I felt it was a worthwhile improvement and I won't marginalize how a larger clamping surface and larger moment arm, larger hear sink won't become a "dramatic improvement". It's just physics.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
... my grand cherokee SRT8...
...my Grand Cherokee overland...
... my E55 AMG...
...my E500...

You lost me here..... Brag much?

In case you lost focus, I was talking about the TF Big Brake Kit. You know the one for a JK. The one that you no longer run, what due to your Dynatrac setup. Not a viper, not a Benz, not an SRT8 anything. You are comparing apples to oranges here aren't you?

Top Bottom