Castor? Alignment?

wolfsjk

Just installed 3.5 RE lift with Teraflex lowers with 35 Toyo MT's. My question is what should I tell the alignment tech to set my castor at? Where should it be for best ride quality? Thanks.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wolfsjk said:
Just installed 3.5 RE lift with Teraflex lowers with 35 Toyo MT's. My question is what should I tell the alignment tech to set my castor at? Where should it be for best ride quality? Thanks.

It's a fight for the best steering you can without causing front driveline vibrations.

Anything over 4.5 degrees will give you nice steering, going to high will cause vibs

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I initially had mine set at 6 deg, had some vibes, and now it's back at 5 deg and it feels great. Not flighty feeling in the highway, no driveline vibes.

Prime8

Project JK has a do-it-yourself front end alignment guide. Everything you need to know should be in there. I printed out a copy that I keep in the garage and also take on the trail with me, just in case. I also printed out the torque specs document on the Project JK website. Great documents. Many thanks to Eddie for putting those together!

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
It's a fight for the best steering you can without causing front driveline vibrations.

Anything over 4.5 degrees will give you nice steering, going to high will cause vibs

Thanks for the tip. Does this recommendation apply to stock shafts or aftermarket double cardoons?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip. Does this recommendation apply to stock shafts or aftermarket double cardoons?

this is for aftermarket shafts. a factory shaft will allow you to get a bit more positive caster but, doing so will cause the cv boot and joint to fail prematurely. more would be better but, about +4° is where you want to be.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
this is for aftermarket shafts. a factory shaft will allow you to get a bit more positive caster but, doing so will cause the cv boot and joint to fail prematurely. more would be better but, about +4° is where you want to be.

Thanks Eddie. I was running around 6.5 with prior 3" lift. Switched to the Evo Bolt-on coilovers and running just over 4" now and noticed a slight pick up in vibes. Had both shafts re-balanced and ujoints serviced and still noticed vibes, so I'm going to try dialing castor to between 4-5.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I was running around 6.5 with prior 3" lift. Switched to the Evo Bolt-on coilovers and running just over 4" now and noticed a slight pick up in vibes. Had both shafts re-balanced and ujoints serviced and still noticed vibes, so I'm going to try dialing castor to between 4-5.

are you sure the vibes are coming from the drive shaft? the more positive caster you add, the more you should feel vibes. if anything, you will need to go less.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
are you sure the vibes are coming from the drive shaft? the more positive caster you add, the more you should feel vibes. if anything, you will need to go less.

Yes, I agree, that's what I'm going to try. At 6.5 positive castor going to try 4.5 positive caster. My lift added about another 1" or so from 3" to little over 4". Your recommendation was is helpful and timely. I'll let everyone no how it turns out. Thanks:thumb:

Top Bottom