Need some advise

Raven Moon

OK I have a question. I live on a fixed income and I want to make upgrades and some mods to my 2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited (yes I know its expensive and I live on a fixed income). I need to know a good budget for some mods and upgrades. I do no intend to be a mall crawler nor a rock crawler. I wish to traverse the trails and rough roads in the south west NV, TX, AZ, NM, UT and some other areas.
I do need recovery, communications, tires, minor lift (disabled Vet) and a few others things for my vehicle. Problem is I am no mechanic and need a base budget to begin with.
Please help
Thank you for your time
RAVEN

noroad

well what is your over all goal? hight and tire size!

You could do a small leveling kit and 33s pretty cheap
you could do a 1.75 spacer lift and 35s and cut fenders!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would say $4000 could get you a really capable rig.

Budget boost spacer lift
35's
Spacers to run stock wheels
Winch on stock cut bumper
Recovery gear

Raven Moon

thanks

33's sound good, I may have to find smaller stock wheels on the cheep some place as I have the larger wheels. The 1.75 spacer lift works too. and $4000 sounds like a good place to start. I am also new tho the Jeep life. Thanks guys

noroad

33's sound good, I may have to find smaller stock wheels on the cheep some place as I have the larger wheels. The 1.75 spacer lift works too. and $4000 sounds like a good place to start. I am also new tho the Jeep life. Thanks guys

why do you need smaller wheels yours are fine??

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
skids underneath, recovery gear,tools, cb is nice also and onboard air is nice to have also. just take your time and build it with quality parts. a stock jeep will get you around pretty good. good luck with your build:thumb:

Raven Moon

why do you need smaller wheels yours are fine??

Yah tire prices seem to be lower for the smaller diameter wheels. If I can make better on the cost with unused smaller stock wheels someone is selling on the cheep then I may go that way. If not I will stick with the 19's. Things I have learned for my next Jeep purchase.

xkid

Keep a eye out for people selling parts or tires.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

i think saharha rims are 18" guessing he wants 17":idontknow:

True

Yah tire prices seem to be lower for the smaller diameter wheels. If I can make better on the cost with unused smaller stock wheels someone is selling on the cheep then I may go that way. If not I will stick with the 19's. Things I have learned for my next Jeep purchase.

ya it goes up a little per rim size

Keep a eye out for people selling parts or tires.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is also a good idea! i just put a 1.75 spacer lift on my friends jeep and some rubicon take off wheels(32s)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407284721.230068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407284721.230068.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 124

JAGS

Hooked
What overlander said is a great start. Since you have a Sahara, you may want to look at Rubi take-offs for shocks/springs and go with the shock extensions for the budget boost. Or get the Rancho shocks (7000 series) for a 3" lift. All prob better than the stock sahara shocks/springs. Also look for folks selling used items or near new items that may save you a few additional bucks.

We were all new once, some more recent than others, so feel free to ask questions and learn what you can. :yup:

Raven Moon

Thanks guys. I like the Ruby wheels with the 1.75 lift idea. I will BOLO for the parts. I will add things little by little and I will try to post things as I get them done too.

LeighP

I'm also trying to build mine on a budget. I'm selling the 18" wheels and tyres (in Australia a Sahara comes with useless H/T pattern tyres).
I bought a set of 5 17" stock 5 spoke alloys off Ebay cheap, then watched for tyres and found a set of Rubicon 255/75x17 take offs, almost new.
I had to buy a set of TPMS sensors, but I ended up with a near new set of 17" A/Ts for a total of $800 - which where I live is stupid cheap. :)

I sold a lot of stuff from my previous car hobby (Pontiacs) and that funded the front bar, lights and winch. Now I'm just sorting the order I want various parts and saving for them.

Raven Moon

Phase I is about under way. A 1.75 lift and new tires and wheels.

Phase II will either be bumpers front and rear (w/ tire carrier) or a CB system. If I do the bumpers first, the como system will be Phase IIA

Phase III will more than likely be the Poison Spyder Trail Cage. I will be adding minor mods and equipment between the three phases as well.

Phase I is about under way. A 1.75 lift and new tires and wheels.

Phase II will either be bumpers front and rear (w/ tire carrier) or a CB system. If I do the bumpers first, the como system will be Phase IIA

Phase III will more than likely be the Poison Spyder Trail Cage. I will be adding minor mods and equipment between the three phases as well.

Just curious but why the Poison Spyder trail cage? You can get the Hard Rock sport cage for about $200 less than the Poison Spyder.

I personally have the OR Fab sport cage and love it. Feel super confident in the unfortunate event Canvas decides to go flop we will all be safe.

As for the CB look at your local pawn shop for one or even ebay for a complete kit. If you are near a truck stop ask where the local cb repair shop is and see what they have. More than likely you can pick up a complet set up rather inexpensive.

R/
Will

Just curious but why the Poison Spyder trail cage? You can get the Hard Rock sport cage for about $200 less than the Poison Spyder.

I personally have the OR Fab sport cage and love it. Feel super confident in the unfortunate event Canvas decides to go flop we will all be safe.

As for the CB look at your local pawn shop for one or even ebay for a complete kit. If you are near a truck stop ask where the local cb repair shop is and see what they have. More than likely you can pick up a complet set up rather inexpensive.

R/
Will

Unfortunately, I think ORFAB no longer makes their sport cage. However, the Rockhard cage is a very well built cage. I have one, Wayalife has one as well. In fact, somewhere on here is pics of one of Wayalife's close friend's ride after a high speed rollover accident. It is very likely that the cage saved his life.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

I know you have a JKU, but for reference here is the JK I had last year with a TF leveling kit and 33s. It wasn't too high at all and fairly easy to get in and out of.
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg

If your trying to save money, as someone mentioned on here already, you could cut the stock bumper and throw on some stubby end caps. Then get a winch plate and throw a winch on top of it. There are even some companies that offer different types of brush guards and light bars/hoops that mount on the stock bumper. I had a stock stubby on this Jeep and thought it looked pretty good, plus it fit well into the budget at the time, as it cost me 60 bucks for the end caps and a little bit of time with a reciprocating saw and a dremel.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
And here was my JKU with the same 33s and no lift, with stock stubby bumper. I would recommend a leveling kit at a minimum, because there was no way I could flex it out without rubbing with no lift.

SAM_0487.jpg

Top Bottom