automatic or manual??

bugdust

I am looking at ordering a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited. It will be a daily-driver, both my wife and myself will drive it. We have a Ford Explorer, a F150 crewcab and a '07 Wrangler X now. We will trade in the Explorer most likely.

My '07 is a 6 speed and I prefer the new one to be as well. I hit the mud trails quite a bit. But, I don't plan on heavy mud trails with the new Rubicon.

Pros and Cons of each?

lmaya

Since you're keeping it out of the mud and it will be a daily driver, I would go with an auto.

DA RUNT

There's a ton of threads about this, IMO it boils down to what you want. There's valid arguments to support both sides and as long as you get what YOU want, you'll be happy. Here's a fairly recent thread on the subject Auto vs. Manual

TheDuff

I have an auto now. Really wish I would have gotten a stick. People say it's easier in the rocks with an auto, well I feel sometimes it is and sometimes it's a pain. I've been fortunate enough to drive a friend's manual jk and really liked it, there are some very cool features for the manual that left me feeling more in control. A lot of times I feel bored with the auto and maybe it's just a issue with the pre pentastar auto's, but the downshift delays in faster paced trail running is annoying. Before driving a manual I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult, but imo that couldn't be farther from the truth. No need to ride the clutch it can go ridiculously slow in gear with out stalling, can be started in gear with the clutch out, and will crawl itself along at low speed with out needing throttle. I found the manual to be impressive. Throw in the fact you get an extra gear and control over which gear it's in on the highway, without needing to babysit the trans temp. I personally find more benefit to the manual, but that's my preference.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

i really enjoy my manual. and when putting bigger tires on and not regearing you will have better power with the manual being able to down shift

LeighP

I daily drive my 2013.....love the auto. Its a good set up, works well off road. I had a manual daily driver SUV before this, I'm loving the auto.
Like the above posts say, its all down to personal preference......its not like either gearbox has a particular "con".

Ranger4011

The new autos are sort if the best of both worlds you can use the slap shift when your in the mood for a standard and when your just tired in the morning or say on the way home from work after a long 12 or 16 hour shift you can just put it in drive and not worry.

Top Bottom