2013 JK Front Dash Speaker Removal?

Elon99

Has anyone swapped out the front dash speakers on a 2013 JK? Looking for a decent how to video or write-up. I have seen videos for other years that go from removing the entire dash to just pulling some pop panels and bolts. Also any replacement speaker suggestions other than the Kickers offered by Mopar?

Thanks!

utiadam

LOSER

That's a great video on dash disassembly. May come in handy if you ever need to do a heater core or evaporator, lol. I've taken out all of the speakers several times and you definitely don't have to take all that out. You can remove both side panels on the ends of the dash and take out the 2 copper looking 7mm bolts. Then remove the 7mm bolts around the glove box and under the steering wheel. There is 1 10mm bolt under each of the front speaker pods. Once you get all those you just take the whole pod out of the dash.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197550.407782.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197572.432596.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197611.785135.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197629.179023.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197645.691404.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409197662.442316.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
That's a great video on dash disassembly. May come in handy if you ever need to do a heater core or evaporator, lol. I've taken out all of the speakers several times and you definitely don't have to take all that out. You can remove both side panels on the ends of the dash and take out the 2 copper looking 7mm bolts. Then remove the 7mm bolts around the glove box and under the steering wheel. There is 1 10mm bolt under each of the front speaker pods. Once you get all those you just take the whole pod out of the dash.
View attachment 97483
View attachment 97484
View attachment 97485
View attachment 97486
View attachment 97487
View attachment 97488

that sounds easier! i was going to say that's a ton of work to change a speaker

utiadam

LOSER
yeah, I was wondering what the heck they were doing all that for? Then towards the end I noticed that they left the front speaker pods in and just pulled out the speakers separately. It is a great video though for showing you were all the bolts are. The only bolt they dont show is the 1 10mm underneath the speaker pod. You can slide out the driver side pod from the left side opening of the dash and the passenger side pod through the glove box opening.

SaddleTramp

yeah, I was wondering what the heck they were doing all that for? Then towards the end I noticed that they left the front speaker pods in and just pulled out the speakers separately. It is a great video though for showing you were all the bolts are. The only bolt they dont show is the 1 10mm underneath the speaker pod. You can slide out the driver side pod from the left side opening of the dash and the passenger side pod through the glove box opening.

Adam, just let me know when your ready for a "Vegas Vacation" and when you'll be coming up to stay a weekend and play the slots/dice at night and swap out my OEM audio for an upgrade during the day, ;). :cheesy:!

Elon99

Dynamat and Polyfill worth it?

Utiadam - Thanks for the photos. Do you think it was worth it to Dynamat the speaker enclosures and add the polyfill? Was it a profound difference or just one of those 'while I've got these out' sort of upgrades? Did the Dynamat add any additional width to the enclosures and did that cause any problems when you went to slip these back behind the dash for reinstallation?

Thanks!

kaptkrappy

Utiadam - Thanks for the photos. Do you think it was worth it to Dynamat the speaker enclosures and add the polyfill? Was it a profound difference or just one of those 'while I've got these out' sort of upgrades? Did the Dynamat add any additional width to the enclosures and did that cause any problems when you went to slip these back behind the dash for reinstallation?

Thanks!

I will give you my answer (opinion) because I did the same thing, but retained the OE speakers.

I think it was a profound difference. I ride with no doors or windows year round and now the sound has bass you can feel and I can turn it up louder with a lot less distortion. These are all my observations not lab test results and that's what matters to me.

I stuffed the PolyFil in the pods and the sound bar so it still had some room to breath. Meaning, it's not packed in there so tight you could'nt get any more in there. I mention this, because I've heard people say "jamb as much as you can possibly get in there" and I've heard 'lightly fill the opening". I'm somewhere in-between.

I used the standard 0.067 DynaMat on my pods. I don't think it made it any harder to re-install them.

utiadam

LOSER
I would say that the best upgrade you can do is the polyfill. It is a noticeable gain in midbass and clarity. The dynamat I'm not really sure. The dynamat was a recommendation by a friend that works at a stereo shop. He said they do it on all the wranglers.

2013CGJKU

Damn it guys! I thought I was gonna get away with not spending any money on the audio in my rig! Haha! I just don't see myself being able to leave it alone now.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

AlexwBlkJK

WELL.... I thought I would do ALL the speakers myself.. but I didnt realize it was such an undertaking to get the front speakers replaced.... I might just pay someone to do that...:cheesy:
The soundbar speakers are REAL straight forward and I know I could do those....:rock::rock:
Why did JEEP bury those front speakers like that? kinda crazy:crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

UpsideUp

Thanks for tackling this project guys. I have also wondered how hard it would be to just replace the speakers to improve sound but after this thread I think the cheap but useful upgrade of hollow fill might be a great first step to try. And it seems if you don't get the results you are looking for you still have the right upgrade for new speakers?

Top Bottom