Need New BallJoints... Help

aaronstephen

I am in need of replacing my factory oem ball joints that have 90k on them. The two I am looking at are either Synergy or Alloy USA. Is there much of a difference in the two other than the price. It looks like Amazon will sell the Alloy USA for $100 less? I really don't want to cheap out and get what I pay for, but I also don't have the coin to buy Dynatrac ball joints (wish I did). any thought?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Look at the crown HD ball joints. They are the exact same and synergy and alloy but you get both sides for under $100.

aaronstephen

Look at the crown HD ball joints. They are the exact same and synergy and alloy but you get both sides for under $100.

Do you know where that information is verified? How do we know that they are the same? Just curious...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you know where that information is verified? How do we know that they are the same? Just curious...

Eddie has pointed it out multiple times in other ball joint threads that synergy and the like are just rebranded.

I run the crowns I mentioned and for saving myself over $100 and getting the same thing as the more expensive ones I'm happy. If you want something different you would have to go with Dynatrac but as you mentioned they are a little expensive

aaronstephen

Eddie has pointed it out multiple times in other ball joint threads that synergy and the like are just rebranded.

I run the crowns I mentioned and for saving myself over $100 and getting the same thing as the more expensive ones I'm happy. If you want something different you would have to go with Dynatrac but as you mentioned they are a little expensive

Ok. I just didn't know if there had been an actual test out there showing that they were all the same. I'll look into the crowns as well. Thank you

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok. I just didn't know if there had been an actual test out there showing that they were all the same. I'll look into the crowns as well. Thank you

No problem. Just make sure you look at the HD ones as crown offers two models. The HD is greaseable where the non-HD is not just like OEM

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 make sure the product number has the HD on the end of it - the Crown OEM and HD use the same product number, only difference is the HD designation on the end, that and they are greaseable

Moog also makes a good greaseable ball joint that'll take the abuse and hold up.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Synergy is made in India, alloy USA is made in Taiwan, not sure on crown or moog. But it's the same metal on metal design.
Now dynatrac prosteers are made in the USA.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just installed the AlloyUSA ones from Amazon. ~$130 shipped to my house in 2 days. :thumb:

Synergy is made in India, alloy USA is made in Taiwan, not sure on crown or moog. But it's the same metal on metal design.
Now dynatrac prosteers are made in the USA.

I'm going with this "metal on metal" design. That's what you want. Nothing with a plastic sleeve like stock.

Did you notice things feeling tighter since the install?

Yes but I should also mention I literarily replaced my entire suspension except my control arms.
I replaced all of this and more on the same day... So to say it drives better would be an understatement...
Rubicon Express 2.5 lift with Bilstein 5100's
Fortec4x4 Dual Bilstein steering stabilizer
Synergy tie rod
Synergy drag link
Synergy front track bar
Synergy rear track bar
Synergy heavy duty ball joints
Synergy C-Gussets welded on
Front wheel bearings and ABS sensors
PowerStop rotors
PowerStop pads
Toxic off-road braided brake lines
Front and Rear diff fluid changed to Amsoil
Oil changed to Amsoil
Brake fluid changed to Amsoil
Transfer case changed to Amsoil

Sent from my NSA monitoring device... Using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Gonna hijack this thread for quick question. I have picked up the good ole Death Wobble checked trackbar torque, bushings and bracket holes all good. So I went to checking ball joints, my question is how much play is too much?
I have at least 1 mm up and down checking it with a pry bar under the tire. The tolerance was on another thread but I couldn't find it again. Thanks

O|||||||O
JK🇺🇸

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna hijack this thread for quick question. I have picked up the good ole Death Wobble checked trackbar torque, bushings and bracket holes all good. So I went to checking ball joints, my question is how much play is too much?
I have at least 1 mm up and down checking it with a pry bar under the tire. The tolerance was on another thread but I couldn't find it again. Thanks

O|||||||O
JK

From the Death Wobble thread:

CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS:
There are two different types of movements you will see in your ball joints, the first is called RADIAL (shifting side to side) and the other is AXIAL (up and down). The amount of radial movement you see should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm) and axial movement should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm). Because it doesn't take a whole lot to be off, the best way to measure ball joint play is with a dial indicator. Here are steps you can use to check them:

1. From the axle, use a good floor jack to lift one of your tire off the ground. If you don't have a good floor jack, set your axle on a jack stand to hold it up securely in place.
2. From the side, place a long pry bar under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for axial (up and down) movement. Any movement more than 0.050" is too much and would indicate that your ball joint is bad. Of course, if you can see this movement with your eyes, it's definitely bad.
3. Next, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to rock it back and forth while you have someone watch the upper joint for any movement. Any radial (side-to-side) movement more than 0.060" is too much. Again, if you can see the movement with your eyes and without any dial indicator, it's probably bad as well.

More info can be found here:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

Top Bottom