Is it worth it?

jconn47

Hey all,

So my wife and I recently purchased a 2014 JKU Sport. We both love it but I had wanted to go with a Rubicon for all of the obvious reason but just couldn't convince her about the price difference. I even tried to explain to her that the end price of the build would end up being a lot more if we went with the Sport over the Rubicon. Now that we have it and I'm starting to plan parts for it she's starting to realize what I was talking about (better late then never I suppose). My question is, would it be worth it to keep it mostly stock until we move back to the states and trade it in for a rubicon? Or upgrade it a little and then trade it in? I realize that I've already lost money by initially buying the Sport and I'm just trying to cut my losses while still getting my dream jeep.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1409909875.562417.jpg
Figured I'd post a pic of my current jeep.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
You wont get your money back on any upgrades if you trade it in. I would enjoy what you have now, keep saving, keep it stock and then trade it in for a rubi if that is still what you want when the yime presents itself. :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-L710T using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I should say that you may get some money for a lift and tires, however it will not off set the depreciation of the jeep and will not even come close to what you originally paid for the lift and tires.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Chaddilac

I was in your boat not too long ago. I had a great Sport that I ended up trading in for a Rubicon.

I suggest keeping your Jeep as is (if you do not plan on doing any crazy rock crawling) keep it running well and pull the trigger on the new one when you are ready. Save your money form upgrades for the upgraded Rubicon Hard Rock. You will not be sorry. I know I'm not. :rock:

In the meantime your Sport should treat you very well. In addition if you keep the Sport in good shape it will hold its value.

Good luck with your decision.

noroad

I guess that i will have to be the one to disagree a little here, Why do you think that it is more money to build a stock then a rubi?? what is your over all goal for the jeep?

I guess that i will have to be the one to disagree a little here, Why do you think that it is more money to build a stock then a rubi?? what is your over all goal for the jeep?

I agree with you and where you are going..... and I have a Rubi.

EVO-1 didn't start life as a Rubi, just sayin'

2013CGJKU

Buy a ProRock44.

Do an ARB and 35 splines in your rear.

Run one step shorter gears than you would if it were a a rubi (to help make up for the transfer case).

Either buy a broken rubi sway bar and the no limits or get some quick discos.

That route will net you better axles than the rubi for less than the price difference and you won't pay interest on the parts. As long as you aren't running over 37s or blasting through the dessert this setup will be just fine for you.

If you ARE running over 37s or planning on blasting through the dessert then everything that makes a rubi a rubi, other than the transfer case and e-discos, will be swapped for aftermarket stuff anyway. At that point you will be paying the roughly $10k difference for a rubi PLUS interest for a transfer case and e-discos that will eventually fail anyway.

I know people think the Rubicon package is the be all end all and I would agree if you are leaving it stock. BUT if you are modifying your Jeep, it's much smarter financially to start with the sport.

***If not having leather interior and an upgraded but still shitty sound system was a deal breaker, you would have gotten a rubi from the get go, so those things were not taken into account.***

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

What specifically did you want from the rubicon?

If it is the stock D44's with lockers you are better suites to get a PR 44 with 4:88's and ARB lockers and call it a done deal. A factory D44 is not as tough as one would think. Tube walls are the same as a D30. Only real difference is the pumpkin.

I have a JKUS and love the fact I have to manually roll up the windows and lock the doors. Heated seats, who needs them just wear thermals.

It all comes down to opinion.

R/
Will

noroad

What specifically did you want from the rubicon?

If it is the stock D44's with lockers you are better suites to get a PR 44 with 4:88's and ARB lockers and call it a done deal. A factory D44 is not as tough as one would think. Tube walls are the same as a D30. Only real difference is the pumpkin.

I have a JKUS and love the fact I have to manually roll up the windows and lock the doors. Heated seats, who needs them just wear thermals.

It all comes down to opinion.

R/
Will

Hahahah i agree with most but you live in florida most of the time lol :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: -15 out with a warm ass is nice( just added them for 60 bucks, rubi me that lol!!!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Did I need my rubi...no....do I like it?...yes. A few trips when I was new was kind of annoying tho with people going "oh he has a rubi he is fine (not guys from here). I was going to keep it mostly stock when I first got it and that was why I went with the rubi....which lasted a few months lol. I am still happy tho and I know I have needed to regear but still pushing that one off cuz for me the 4.10s are still okay even with 37s.

Whats the rubicon hard rock tho?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
that's what I was thinking, kinda sad the rubicon just doesn't come like how the x is equipped....that would be a selling point just to sell all the takeoffs for even more since the "base" ones don't come with anything other than the rock rails, not like the x ones are much better but for some people im sure that's more than enough.

DA RUNT

So they can keep selling you "special" parts that will get thrown away. Haha!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

LOL, exactly. Soon as I get home I'll have a pile of parts to give away, throw away or sell.

edit: "special" parts :cheesy:

Last edited:

2013CGJKU

that's what I was thinking, kinda sad the rubicon just doesn't come like how the x is equipped....that would be a selling point just to sell all the takeoffs for even more since the "base" ones don't come with anything other than the rock rails, not like the x ones are much better but for some people im sure that's more than enough.

And just like before. If you aren't going to modify ANYTHING, its the way to go. It is definitely the most capable and best equipped for offroading stock vehicle you can buy. But no one on this forum is going to leave their rig stock...

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
And just like before. If you aren't going to modify ANYTHING, its the way to go. It is definitely the most capable and best equipped for offroading stock vehicle you can buy. But no one on this forum is going to leave their rig stock...

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

My original plan was a bb and 35s and be done lol, yeah that idea lasted like a month or 2 haha. You are right tho, well other than being a little low I had almost no problems keeping up with guys on 35s when I was still stock.

jconn47

Awesome advice here guys. Definitely some good points to think about. I do love the jeep that we have I guess I just wonder sometimes haha. Don't we all though?

noroad

Awesome advice here guys. Definitely some good points to think about. I do love the jeep that we have I guess I just wonder sometimes haha. Don't we all though?

yes i wondered the same thing but after getting a killer deal on my new 2012 jk and about 10k of mods im still under a rubi and bigger. Also what part of vermont are you from/ when are you coming back we can get a meet going and you can see some rigs!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
yes i wondered the same thing but after getting a killer deal on my new 2012 jk and about 10k of mods im still under a rubi and bigger. Also what part of vermont are you from/ when are you coming back we can get a meet going and you can see some rigs!

you and how lucky you were with a few deals still has me jealous....well mostly the 37s lol

Top Bottom