can grey key be used to check engine diagnostics?

JLSilerJK

The 09 x Had the check engine light come on today. I've been trying like crazy to do the push in and hold turn Off-On 3 times. I read Eddies write up over and over; Is there a trick to it like time between turns? I wasnt sold a manual and only have the 1 grey key... The gas cap has clikcked. I'd like to be able to figure this out instead of the drive to auto zone. Thanks, Jim

JLSilerJK

Twas the PO455. EVAP Large Leak Detected. Since owning the jeep -exactly a month and a half today- her gas cap has always clicked one time. With a new cap it was a smooth twist to 3 clicks... I'm hoping this easy fix solved the problem.

Too funny that this afternoon when i jumped in to start it was the first time i called the jeep baby and the check engine light comes on :doh:

What are the diferences in keys? the black one versus the grey (i think its a valet key) for a wrangler without power doors?

jeeeep

Hooked
should be a valet key - lock the glove box/center console and see if the grey key unlocks it

it may take a few starts for the code to clear or disconnect the ground for 15 minutes

JLSilerJK

Thanks jeeep, it does lock and unlock the glovebox. Since it is the only key I have I'm wondering if I need a new one. Could the year/model of the JK X not allow the diagnostics to show?

jeeeep

Hooked
you should be able to get the codes, you did this?

"On" position without starting the engine.

quickly rotate the key from the "On" position to the "Acc" position three times, ending in the "On" position - Do not start your Jeep

If you've done this correctly, all of the lights will light up and six dashes (- - - - - -) will appear on your odometer for a brief period.

look at the odometer for any diagnostic codes, they should appear immediately after the six dashes.

If there are no codes the odometer will read "-done-" after the dashes.

JLSilerJK

jeeeep! Thanks!

woke up at 4 am (checked the app from bed) and tried it again. I had been pushing in and holding; turning the key all the way back to off position. I did try the ACC position a few times earlier but dont think the key was turned quick enough. After reading your post I went at it double speed and it worked right away.

I dig your rig btw. nice looking rubi! where is that trail on the red color rocks pic in your photos? looks sweet

hogtyed

Super Chips has a cool tool for checking codes for about $150. I mainly bought to get my speedo right for the 35's I'm running. It will make other changes too .:cool:

JLSilerJK

Oh yeah?- my speedo is off also. Very happy the gf (and not an peace officer) pointed out the diference in GPS to speedometer mph on our first adventure. On one side of the coin I'm bummed the as-is jeep has shown a few issues that an experienced used jeep buyer would of known to look for. On the other side it sure is rad learning about this and trying to tackle it with the help of you great wayalifers!:beer:

JLSilerJK

Super Chips has a cool tool for checking codes for about $150. I mainly bought to get my speedo right for the 35's I'm running. It will make other changes too .:cool:

If a previous owner had 35's on it but then at some point 255's were put back on it (on now) would that show a speedometer diference? I ask because I'm going with bigger tires when these wear (getting close). Could a tire switch remedy the speedo issue?

JKWrang

If a previous owner had 35's on it but then at some point 255's were put back on it (on now) would that show a speedometer diference? I ask because I'm going with bigger tires when these wear (getting close). Could a tire switch remedy the speedo issue?

It depends what came with your Jeep from the factory. In a word - yes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JLSilerJK

It depends what came with your Jeep from the factory. In a word - yes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was told it came lifted from the factory. (no paperwork on anything so I'm in the dark). Currently 255 70 R18. In the 4 months or so that I've been obsessivly researching Jk's the tire and rim setup seems odd to me

JLSilerJK

Update - the new gas cap solved the issue. The MIL is now off. I tried the turn key and it worked again and was blank dashes then said done. thanks jeeeep! Have a great one dude

kaptkrappy

Glad you got your code problem fixed.:thumb:

I have a question and a comment.

You say it's an '09 X model, but it has Sahara bumpers and Sahara wheels and tires, what's up with that ??

No JK is lifted from the factory. Sometimes dealers install basic lifts and install taller/bigger tires.

JLSilerJK

Glad you got your code problem fixed.:thumb:

I have a question and a comment.

You say it's an '09 X model, but it has Sahara bumpers and Sahara wheels and tires, what's up with that ??

No JK is lifted from the factory. Sometimes dealers install basic lifts and install taller/bigger tires.

The VIN has it as a 2009. She has the "X" decal on the side. I've noticed around town that the saharas have the silver bumper. I agree that the 18's are on saharas.

The used car salesmen bamboozled me! He said it was factory lifted. Could it be the dealer basic 2' spacer lift? Can you point me in the way to figure it out? It is noticably taller then most jeeps it is parked next to.

kaptkrappy

The VIN has it as a 2009. She has the "X" decal on the side. I've noticed around town that the saharas have the silver bumper. I agree that the 18's are on saharas.

The used car salesmen bamboozled me! He said it was factory lifted. Could it be the dealer basic 2' spacer lift? Can you point me in the way to figure it out? It is noticably taller then most jeeps it is parked next to.

In this picture you see 2 arrows.

One is pointing at the spacer that is used for the basic boost type lift. There will be one on top of all 4 springs.

The other arrow is pointing at the factory spring tag. If you don't have the plastic spacer on top of your springs and you don't have that tag on your spring it could have aftermarket taller springs.

Basic Boost Lift Spacer.jpg

Factory shocks come in 2 varieties also. Plain black and Rubicon red.

Here's a side by side comparison of the factory shocks.

Side X Side .png

jeeeep

Hooked
jeeeep! Thanks!

woke up at 4 am (checked the app from bed) and tried it again. I had been pushing in and holding; turning the key all the way back to off position. I did try the ACC position a few times earlier but dont think the key was turned quick enough. After reading your post I went at it double speed and it worked right away.

I dig your rig btw. nice looking rubi! where is that trail on the red color rocks pic in your photos? looks sweet

glad it worked out!

Thanks!

I forget the name of that trail but it's in Moab - ran it during Easter Jeep Safari a couple of years ago. Rains caused a rock slide a few days before we got on it - made it more fun.

Get a tuner to get your gear ratio /speedometer/ tire size correct. you can use your GPS with the tuner to check if your speedometer is correct. It'll also get your shift points correct (less stress on the transmission)
tip - you may have to play with the tire size to get the speedo correct - I have 315's which the specs say are 34.5" but once mounted and under weight measure about 32 tall and I think I ended up at 31.5 in the tuner to get my speedo correct.
I think there's a write up in the Stickies section on where to measure the height of the tire - it's not across the top but on the edge of the outer tread.

Have fun! :thumb::thumb:

JeepDrum

Twas the PO455. EVAP Large Leak Detected. Since owning the jeep -exactly a month and a half today- her gas cap has always clicked one time. With a new cap it was a smooth twist to 3 clicks... I'm hoping this easy fix solved the problem.

Too funny that this afternoon when i jumped in to start it was the first time i called the jeep baby and the check engine light comes on :doh:

What are the diferences in keys? the black one versus the grey (i think its a valet key) for a wrangler without power doors?
I have a '08 X that I bought used. Mine came with two grey keys and they look identical to me. When I got them, it was obvious which one the original owner had been using (a little darker/dirtier than the other) so I just kept using that one. The only time I've really used the other key was to unlock my doors when I locked my other set inside though so I don't know if it unlocks the glove box. Mine is like yours though...no power locks, windows or anything and this sequence has worked for me to check codes.

JLSilerJK

In this picture you see 2 arrows.

One is pointing at the spacer that is used for the basic boost type lift. There will be one on top of all 4 springs.

The other arrow is pointing at the factory spring tag. If you don't have the plastic spacer on top of your springs and you don't have that tag on your spring it could have aftermarket taller springs.

View attachment 99946

Factory shocks come in 2 varieties also. Plain black and Rubicon red.

Here's a side by side comparison of the factory shocks.

View attachment 99947

I got a chance to get under the jeep in the sun.

I didnt see any spacers.

coil - 52126318ac - after poking around they may be the mopar rubicon 4dr coil.

shock - 68028415ab - cant find much but am guessing it is a stock part

Am I correct thinking I can get about an inch using the heavy duty spring on a two door? Please correct if I'm wrong

Jeep says X, sahara bumpers and wheels, rubicon coils - Did I buy a used Frankenstein monster?

JLSilerJK

I have a '08 X that I bought used. Mine came with two grey keys and they look identical to me. When I got them, it was obvious which one the original owner had been using (a little darker/dirtier than the other) so I just kept using that one. The only time I've really used the other key was to unlock my doors when I locked my other set inside though so I don't know if it unlocks the glove box. Mine is like yours though...no power locks, windows or anything and this sequence has worked for me to check codes.

thanks- Sounds like the setup I have. I did get to check the codes. I was turning the key too far back to the off position. Just needed to go back a lil to the acc then to the On position again. I like your X!

JLSilerJK

kaptkrappy-I see you may have done what I am aiming for to get some extra height. you have the same height coils? do you have the ******18 coil on both passenger and driver side? Sweet JK also!

Top Bottom