Opinions on Tires

Damtall55

Noob needs help on tires. My JKU is my Daily Driver to and from work, about 40-45 miles round trip daily. I am going with 33's and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on these two tires: General Grabber AT2's and BF Goodrich KO AT's. I do light off-roading (blues) and snow in Western Pennsylvania on occasion when visiting family. I also like to surf fish, so sand is another ingredient. If you could help, I would sincerely appreciate it!! Thank you!!

Big Mike :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run BFG AT's and they were good tires. For your purposes, I might recommend them. I have no personal experience with the Generals but, they look like a good tire too.

gouacats

Noob needs help on tires. My JKU is my Daily Driver to and from work, about 40-45 miles round trip daily. I am going with 33's and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on these two tires: General Grabber AT2's and BF Goodrich KO AT's. I do light off-roading (blues) and snow in Western Pennsylvania on occasion when visiting family. I also like to surf fish, so sand is another ingredient. If you could help, I would sincerely appreciate it!! Thank you!!

Big Mike :idontknow:

I've also run BFG ATs. They're quiet and they last forever. I've heard they do well in snow, but since I live in southern AZ, they never saw it. I've moved onto a more aggressive tread, but it certainly sounds like those would work for you. No experience with the Generals.

kaptkrappy

I have no experience with either brand, but looking at the sizes available, I also think the BFG's might be a better choice for you.

The 285/70/17 looks like it might be a better fit (if you stay with stock wheels) and better DD tire. It's a little narrower and weighs less.

BFG
View attachment 5583

General
View attachment 5584

Shaved Ice

The only Generals I have owned lasted only about 20,000 miles. BFG ATs have always given about double that. Something to consider.

TrailBear

I say bfg, I have run them for years on my old full size dodge, GREAT in the snow and ice, my tj came with them, last winter my buddy could not believe how far we could go in the snow, after everyone was turning around we just kept going.

Attachments

• image-1918425883.jpg
    image-1918425883.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 148

Damtall55

Going with BFG's

Thanks to everyone that posted. I sincerely appreciate the advice and thoughts. I think I might go with the BFG's. Plus they have 3 plies on the tire walls, whereas the General's only have two. Thanks again and I will post pics once I get them!!

UP N OVER

Thanks to everyone that posted. I sincerely appreciate the advice and thoughts. I think I might go with the BFG's. Plus they have 3 plies on the tire walls, whereas the General's only have two. Thanks again and I will post pics once I get them!!

I ran the BFG"s on both my 88 commanche & my 97 cherokee,,,damn good tire, no noise and got 50- 60 k on them,,, like they said before, great snow,ice tire,and not bad offroad either...I ran 31's on the commanche & 33's on the cherokee...

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I ran the BFG"s on both my 88 commanche & my 97 cherokee,,,damn good tire, no noise and got 50- 60 k on them,,, like they said before, great snow,ice tire,and not bad offroad either...I ran 31's on the commanche & 33's on the cherokee...

MJ you say? wheres the pics?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you are wheeling blue trails at Rausch Creek, the BFG ATs will turn into hockey pucks real fast with all the mud at that park. The tread clogs up with mud real fast, and leaves you with slick tires that won't grip the rocks there. I have never seen anyone run the General tires so I can't speak for those.

UP N OVER

MJ you say? wheres the pics?

I no longer have it, I had to get rid of it quickly as I got called to arms a second time to go to Iraq,,,a Junk yard in Buck(Quarryville),Pa uses it as there yard truck...sorry,but no pics,,,
It had the 4.0 with the long bed,,,Pioneer edition,,,automatic...with 300k miles on it,,,great truck,,

Last edited:
Top Bottom