Nitto Mud Grapplers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I love them. They look great, perform outstanding on the rocks and in the mud and are super tough! If you can deal with the noise, I would highly recommend them :)

GCM 2

I'm with Eddie on this one :thumb: I wish I had listened to Mel Wade 3+ years ago and bought them. Minus the cool, loud ass hummmmmmm on the hwy, the tires are by far the best performing in every condition you could possibly throw at them. And did I mention, 17x40x13.5 tires on heavy ATX beadlocks, there is not one wheel weight on any tire, no road force balance, no shakes, no wobbles, no vibrations. During the JKX, there were a few sections of hwy driving that my jeep saw 80-85mph speeds for a few hours at a time, I never knew my tires weren't balanced.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Having the MT/R Kevkars now, and 35/12.59/18 mud grapplers on spyderlocks previously, the mud grapplers are hands down the best tire I've run. They are excellent in the rocks and soft mud. Even with the huge tread lugs, wide tread voids, and loud but awesome sounding highway noise, they are the smoothest tire I've run on the street. No shakes, shimmys, vibrations ever. My current tires are horrible on the highway.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Having the MT/R Kevkars now, and 35/12.59/18 mud grapplers on spyderlocks previously, the mud grapplers are hands down the best tire I've run. They are excellent in the rocks and soft mud. Even with the huge tread lugs, wide tread voids, and loud but awesome sounding highway noise, they are the smoothest tire I've run on the street. No shakes, shimmys, vibrations ever. My current tires are horrible on the highway.

I'm running the mrt w/kevlars now and they are just about done. Debating between the nitto trail a mud grapplers. I like that the MUDs come in a 37x13.50x17 size.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Eddie on this one :thumb: I wish I had listened to Mel Wade 3+ years ago and bought them. Minus the cool, loud ass hummmmmmm on the hwy, the tires are by far the best performing in every condition you could possibly throw at them. And did I mention, 17x40x13.5 tires on heavy ATX beadlocks, there is not one wheel weight on any tire, no road force balance, no shakes, no wobbles, no vibrations. During the JKX, there were a few sections of hwy driving that my jeep saw 80-85mph speeds for a few hours at a time, I never knew my tires weren't balanced.

for such a huge aggressive tire, it really is hard to imagine just how smooth they are and without having to do anything to them. i can remember once, mel just got done installing a set, sent them out to get balanced and found them to ride like crap. frustrated, he cut off all the weights and took it for a ride and found them to ride smooth as glass. not saying this would be the case with every set but, it has been for most everyone i know including the set we have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

oh man, compared to the mt/r's you have now, there really is no comparison. i feel for you.

I'm running the mrt w/kevlars now and they are just about done. Debating between the nitto trail a mud grapplers. I like that the MUDs come in a 37x13.50x17 size.

that is a hard choice. running both of them now on each of our JK's and they are both outstanding. i will say that i do like the 13.50 width a lot and just for that, i would probably go with the later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, on the road how do they ride compared to the Falken A/T's?

honestly, i had a hell of a time getting my falken's to balance but, once they were, they were silent as riding on rails on pavement. i also saw about a 4-5 mpg increase running them too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How do the mud grapplers handle snow/ice?

haven't had a chance to personally test them out in those conditions but looking forward to it. i suspect they'll do great in snow just like they did in mud but, not 100% sure how they'll do on ice. they do have siping but, they also have really be lugs.

LoPo

Caught the Bug

Good point given our locale. I've read people stating they do great in Snow and other stating they were horrible on snow and ice. I'd be interested in other's first hand accounts though.

Generally MT's do well in fresh snow and bad on ice.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Do any tires do good on ice? :thinking:

I am curious to see how my trail grapplers handle the snow. My duratracs did well last winter so the comparison will be interesting.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Agreed, the Duratracs handled great in the snow...certainly better than stock KM's and better than BFG A/T's I've run on other vehicles. Not sure they are strong enough for summer wheeling over the long haul.

I love the looks of the Mud Grapplers and I'll be interested to hear some real world winter driving reports.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Sharkey said:

Excellent. I ran mine in a 35 when I lived in northern va/DC area when I was stationed at quantico. During the "snowpocalypse" we had in 2009/2010 I really had a chance to test them out in 28" of powder all the way down to packed granular/ice/slush on the roads. The griped excellent in all of it. I could full throttle take off on packed snow in 4 hi with minimal wheel spin, and had a hard time getting ESP to kick on in the turns. In the deep powder, I aired down to about 10-12 lbs and they just floated right through the deep stuff. Never clogged up the tread with packed snow.

JAGS

Hooked
honestly, i had a hell of a time getting my falken's to balance but, once they were, they were silent as riding on rails on pavement. i also saw about a 4-5 mpg increase running them too.

The increase MPGs was with the Nittos or the Falkens? What's the damage for the trail graps MPG wise that your running? Your trails are 37" right?

Once I get my build going, I'm pretty much set on the Trail Grapplers. Was going 35s direction, but then the 37s look sooo nice! Now leaning towards 37s as I want to do my build once and hopefully be good for a long while.

Blonda

JAGS said:
The increase MPGs was with the Nittos or the Falkens? What's the damage for the trail graps MPG wise that your running? Your trails are 37" right?

Once I get my build going, I'm pretty much set on the Trail Grapplers. Was going 35s direction, but then the 37s look sooo nice! Now leaning towards 37s as I want to do my build once and hopefully be good for a long while.

Eddie has 40's ....

Our Mpg on our 37 mud grapplers were no different than our Toyos ...averaged about 13 on our 6500 miles for the JKX. Handled awesome!

MTG

Caught the Bug
Blonda said:
Eddie has 40's ....

Our Mpg on our 37 mud grapplers were no different than our Toyos ...averaged about 13 on our 6500 miles for the JKX. Handled awesome!

I think he was talking about the trail grapplers on Rubicat. I think I was getting between 14 and 16 on JKX with my 2012 and 37" trail grapplers. Moochie might have a better memory than me.

JAGS

Hooked
MTG said:
I think he was talking about the trail grapplers on Rubicat. I think I was getting between 14 and 16 on JKX with my 2012 and 37" trail grapplers. Moochie might have a better memory than me.

Hard to keep everything straight. Ha ha But I think you covered it. The more rigs I see and conversations I'm part of, the more I lean toward 37". My compromise might be going trail grapplers and not mud. Slightly better on road while not giving up much if anything off.

Top Bottom