Any HAM's out there? Advice needed

2rescue01

I am a fairly new licensed HAM radio operator, and am looking to purchase and mount a mobile radio in my Jeep. I am currently a Technician, but hope to upgrade to a General license very soon. Do you find 2-meter and 70-centimeter bands sufficient for off road use, or is HF better? Does anyone have any recommendations on a particular mobile radio? If so, why did you choose that radio, and where did you mount it? What if any concerns/advice do you have about mounting an antenna on a Jeep?

Some pics of where you mounted your mobile radio might be helpful too!

Thanks, and 73 to all!

KK6TJA

Kavanji

I can recommend the yaesu Ft 857d. but the icom ic 7000 is also good.
the 857 is a small Radio that can do hf, vhf and uhf so you are geared for everything.
usually v/uhf is sufficient but sometimes there are non hams on trails and then cb is used.
my 857 is freebanded so it can transmit everywhere I can receive so I can do CB as well.
this is not legal to do but you have to weigh the risks youself.
here are some pics of my install:

19509331xl.jpg

19509332qw.jpg

19509333vd.jpg

19509334qc.jpg

19509335pf.jpg

19509336pf.jpg

19509337wa.jpg

19509338wp.jpg

I have a dualband antenna on the AEV tyre carrier and still have to mount the hf antenna.
for hf I have a ATAS120A, wich is a auto tuning antenna with the 857.

73 de V51JP

titus7

Thank you for asking the question, I've been wandering the same thing. I don't have my ham radio license yet but I'm hoping to get it soon. If you have a ham radio do you need to have a cb radio as well? Do you guys know what are the best brands/models to get?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

NAUJK

I use s small handheld wouxon that when I'm in my jeep just hook it up to the ham antenna I have mounted to my hood. Works fantastically. I also have a cb for just short range. Baofangs are also nice handhelds. They may be cheap but I have used both very very extensively and love them. My father old school ham guy actually likes them more than his fancy one I can't remember which one at the moment though. I also have all the Colorado and Arizona repeaters programmed in so I can really talk to anyone anywhere if I really need help out on the trail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Indefatigable

Do you want to use the APRS feature? ie GPS tracking? It is an awesome feature for what we do. If so, look at the Kenwood D710. VHF/UHF

Never used HF on the trail. Only VHF. UHF has been used for APRS

The 5W of a hand held with external antenna is OK, but not when you need to reach out and touch someone without repeaters. This is where a good mobile with 50+ watts comes in handy. I regularly run in groups 10-20 and we are each a mile from the next vehicle due to dust. Hand held units do not cut it for such conditions.

I would suggest getting a basic Yaseu mobile. Usually their VHF are 55W and $125 when on sale plus antenna and cable. Easy enough to sell it later to a new HAM when you upgrade to a D710 :)

And hand helds are not exempt from the mobile device while driving prohibition unless you have an external mic for it.

2rescue01

I can recommend the yaesu Ft 857d. but the icom ic 7000 is also good.
the 857 is a small Radio that can do hf, vhf and uhf so you are geared for everything.
usually v/uhf is sufficient but sometimes there are non hams on trails and then cb is used.
my 857 is freebanded so it can transmit everywhere I can receive so I can do CB as well.
this is not legal to do but you have to weigh the risks youself.
here are some pics of my install:

I have a dualband antenna on the AEV tyre carrier and still have to mount the hf antenna.
for hf I have a ATAS120A, wich is a auto tuning antenna with the 857.

73 de V51JP

Thank you for all of the information, and pictures. Does the 857d have the capability to store channels to memory? If so, how many channels will it store? Does it also allow programming of CTCSS codes, and repeater offset for 2 meter and 70 cm repeaters?

2rescue01

Thank you for asking the question, I've been wandering the same thing. I don't have my ham radio license yet but I'm hoping to get it soon. If you have a ham radio do you need to have a cb radio as well? Do you guys know what are the best brands/models to get?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Since most Jeepers use CB, I have both a CB and a HAM radio in my Jeep. The CB radio frequencies fall into the 11 meter band, which some HAM radios have the capability of reaching. This however is out of the band limitations of a licensed HAM operator, except in an emergency.
As far as the best brand/models, there is a whole lot of opinion on that matter. A great starter radio you might consider is the Baofeng (Now named Pofung) handheld radio. They are small inexpensive radios that just work wonderfully! Many would call them cheap, which would be true, but they are great for a beginner. They also have a whole lot of accessories to help you optimize your radio to your liking. Once you have your license, and have have learned more about the hobby with a Baofeng, you can purchase a more sophisticated and quality radio suitable to your needs.
In the mean time start studying for your license. Here are a few websites to help you learn. qrz.com has sample tests you can take that are the actual test questions. Hamstudy.org has study info which covers all blocks of the test. The cost is usually about $15 to take the test. If you feel confident enough, try to study and take the General exam, which you have the option to take immediately after passing the Technician exam. I say this because you are allowed to test for the next level on the same day under the initial fee without additional charge. The General, and Extra class licenses allow the use of a lot more frequency bands. Best of luck.

2rescue01

I use s small handheld wouxon that when I'm in my jeep just hook it up to the ham antenna I have mounted to my hood. Works fantastically. I also have a cb for just short range. Baofangs are also nice handhelds. They may be cheap but I have used both very very extensively and love them. My father old school ham guy actually likes them more than his fancy one I can't remember which one at the moment though. I also have all the Colorado and Arizona repeaters programmed in so I can really talk to anyone anywhere if I really need help out on the trail.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for the info. I currently have a Baofeng UV-B5, and a Wouxun KG-UV8D, which have both worked great with an external antenna! I am looking to move up to a mobile unit to keep mounted in my Jeep, with the benefit of more wattage as well.

73 from KK6TJA

2rescue01

Do you want to use the APRS feature? ie GPS tracking? It is an awesome feature for what we do. If so, look at the Kenwood D710. VHF/UHF

Never used HF on the trail. Only VHF. UHF has been used for APRS

The 5W of a hand held with external antenna is OK, but not when you need to reach out and touch someone without repeaters. This is where a good mobile with 50+ watts comes in handy. I regularly run in groups 10-20 and we are each a mile from the next vehicle due to dust. Hand held units do not cut it for such conditions.

I would suggest getting a basic Yaseu mobile. Usually their VHF are 55W and $125 when on sale plus antenna and cable. Easy enough to sell it later to a new HAM when you upgrade to a D710 :)

And hand helds are not exempt from the mobile device while driving prohibition unless you have an external mic for it.

I hear great things about APRS, but have not looked into it very much. Thank you for the info about the Kenwood D710, I will look into it. I know Kenwood makes great radios, and they are a brand I am consider an option to purchase.

73 from KK6TJA

Top Bottom