Morpheus Build: The taking of a red pill

raginkgin1

Well its been one year since I purchased Morpheus and figured it was time to start working on "the build". As I looked back on the first year of ownership I must admit that I have spent a lot of time researching and crunching numbers, looking up feedback on mods of all kinds, and getting input from the Wayalife community on the mods I want for Morpheus. Hell it took me almost a year of researching and test driving every package of 2013 and 2014 Jeep JKUs offered before I made the purchase. What I didn't realize is how quickly I would make that first mod that required me to put holes into this very expensive piece of machinery. Less than three months! I started small, but made sure it was a mod that fixed what I didn't like. I didn't like the fact that anyone could access my gas tank, so I added the locking gas take cover from Rugged Ridge.
WP_20131212_001 - Copy.jpg
The fear of making holes in my JKU subsided, so I took the next step and fixed another problem that I notices after taking a drive to East Texas. Wow, that windshield sure does capture a lot of bugs. So in goes four more holes and on goes the Rugged Ridge Bug shield.
WP_20140309_001 (1).jpg

Now onto the next phase of mods. Getting this baby lifted and onto a new set of wheels and reality setting in (The swallowing of the red pill!). Man that's going to cost a lot of money and is going to take me some time to get to my end goal. Better start working on the basics first. Start small and focus on the things that are fixes. Fixes? Oh crap, I forgot how much I hate these factory headlamps. I should make that my first year mod. Look at that, I have a set of Truck-Lite LED headlamps on my list of must haves. Order goes in, Brown Santa shows up, and I experience my first easy mod of installing them. Followed the install video from Youtube, and there are already some very good write ups so no need to list the steps here. But will post pictures in my album in the morning.Would appreciate some ideas of how best to mount the Anti-Flicker Adaptor to prevent it from bouncing around when off roads.
Anti-flicker adaptor.jpg

That was easy, so in goes the order for the EVO C Gussets. Figured if I am going to do this over time, I might as well get the foundational work done. Order goes in, Brown Santa shows up. Made sure to check with the local 4X4 shop to see if they could do the installation and for how much. I am on the schedule three weeks from now to get them put on and for $150 each side. They agreed to follow the instructions from EVO Mfg and remove the ball joints so I figured that was a decent price for the work. Will post pictures once completed.
Now to save up for the EVO Double D Long Arm w/High Clearance Kit, King 2.5 shocks, front double throwdown system, and rear double throwdown system.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Nice plans for Morpheus. :thumb:

If I could recommend anything it would be to look for another shop to install the C gussets. $300 is WAY too much for that. ORE charges less than that. I found a local shop that did it even cheaper. Just my $0.02

trailless

Caught the Bug
Just for reference, a local 4x4 shop wanted $150 per side too. He said he had to take "precautions" as to not burn the ball joints.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
So what should I expect to pay for the work?

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

The ball joints don't have to be removed. Just move around a lot to not build up to much heat. Keep wet rags handy to cool the welds and prevent melting of the plastic/nylon parts of the ball joints. Shouldn't cost more than $100 for a shop to do it. $300 is reasonable if they're pressing out the ball joints...which they don't have to do.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well, just for reference one shop (highly reputable) ;) charges about $220. I went with a local shop and paid about $120. I'm just trying to save you money. Perhaps just shop around before you pay $300.

raginkgin1

The $300 included removing the ball joints from both sides like EVO Mfg recommended in the instructions. If it were not for that work I would have balked at the price, buy I will be shopping around to see if I can get it done for less. Thank you for your input as always it is greatly valued.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

10frank9

Web Wheeler
The $300 included removing the ball joints from both sides like EVO Mfg recommended in the instructions. If it were not for that work I would have balked at the price, buy I will be shopping around to see if I can get it done for less. Thank you for your input as always it is greatly valued.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Not a problem. I guess $300 isn't terrible if they are truly removing and reinstalling the ball joints AND welding up the gussets.

raginkgin1

Headlamp pic as promised.
9etyvyre

I ended up using zip ties to secure the anti-flicker adapter to the back side of the plastic headlamp harness.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

raginkgin1

Finally pulled the trigger on the Mopar Stage 1 2" lift kit. Will post up new pics once I get the Jeep back from the dealership. Also pulled the trigger on new wheels and tires. Adding on the Level 8 Scorpion wheels in a 17X9 -12mm with Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in 305/70/R17. It feels liberating to have finally made a purchase and install of a lift and new shoes.

Draconianwinter

Not a problem. I guess $300 isn't terrible if they are truly removing and reinstalling the ball joints AND welding up the gussets.
Sadly I have noticed that ore does most things very cheaply. Wish I lived out there just so I could let them regear mine when I switch out 35s. Last I saw posted they charge only 1k for both axles. Where I live everyone so far wants more than that per axle. Seriously debating on maybe just driving out there and letting them do it. Would cost about the same as doing it here but I would be able to enjoy the ride there and back lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

raginkgin1

IMG_1479407342.603365.jpg Nitto Tera Grappler G2 305/70/R17 installed today.
IMG_1479407400.118788.jpg Next step is to trim the rock rail and IMG_1479407439.430232.jpg install the Daystar tailgate bumpstops. IMG_1479407483.199592.jpg Doesn't look like I need to relocate the third break light. IMG_1479407581.014178.jpg should pass inspection when the current finders as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
it looks like your spare tire isolators arent touching the spare? (i could be wrong) but you might want to look into extending them to save your tire carrier! :thumb:

Top Bottom