Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $1000 Per Photo Fine!! That's what the U.S. Forest Service wants to Charge YOU

Thumbs up $1000 Per Photo Fine!! That's what the U.S. Forest Service wants to Charge YOU

I've actually known about this new $1000 fine that the U.S. Forest Service wants to slap people with but, up until recently, it had always been my understanding that it was intended for businesses such as advertising agencies or TV shows. Apparently, this is now a fine that the feds want to enforce on journalists and quite possibly, YOU!

Don't Take That Photo! The U.S. Forest Service Might Fine You $1,000
    b54df40e4e0204235ccaa68b20372615beae2801.jpg
    Better be careful about what you do with that photo you just took in a U.S. Forest (Photo: Thinkstock)

Hey hikers, that scenic forest photo you just posted on Instagram may cost you a thousand dollar fine. According to a proposed update to U.S. Forest Service regulations, still photography or video taken in any of its 439 Federal Wilderness Areas is subject to permitting (costing up to $1,500) or you can face a $1,000 fine per photo.

A little-noticed USFS “interim rule” has been in place for four years, and is now being updated to include new restrictions on vaguely defined “commercial filming” in wilderness areas. The new regulation was set to go into effect at the end of October, but due to a recent social media and political uproar, the USFS has graciously allowed the public to comment on the regulation an extra month until December 3. You can post your opinions their website, but keep in mind, the USFS says it will merely “consider such input” but it “may not be implemented, and we wish for the public to understand that.”

According to the text of the regulation, the USFS requires a permit for any photography that “uses models, sets, or props that are not a part of the site’s natural or cultural resources.” So technically, if your mom in your hiking photo, she’s a model, and you owe USFS a thousand bucks. Want to take a picture of your backpack on top of a summit? Sorry, that’s a prop, fork over another grand.

If you want to follow the rules and get a permit, guess what, the Forest Service is able to approve what sort of message your photo or video will deliver. From the updated regulations, photo or video must have: “a primary objective of dissemination of information about the use and enjoyment of wilderness…”

So it’s now federally mandated you must enjoy your hike — Smokey the Bear will tolerate no malingerers. The USFS says it is also permissible for video to promote “other features of scientific, educational, scenic, or historical value.” You better hold your iPhone steady, or else your blurry photo might be judged to not have enough “scenic value” for Forest Service approval.

Read the entire article here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/travel/dont-ta...484656432.html

Ya buddy I hear ya! We have some weird rules about photos up here that involve people but NOTHING as stupid as that!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you fucking kidding me?
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

That's so lame! The government doesn't own America the people do and we should be free to take pictures of our beautiful country. Talk about killing tourism if people can't even take pictures on their vacation

So would our Jeeps be considered props? And any wayalifers would be models? That's insane, any aftermarket part would be considered a marketing photo.
    2013 Jeep with some stuff on it

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me?
    I really wish I were. Because of what we do, I've been following this issue for a while now and it's only recently started to become more of a threat to regular people just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by DA RUNT View Post
    So would our Jeeps be considered props? And any wayalifers would be models? That's insane, any aftermarket part would be considered a marketing photo.
    Yup, that's about how I'm seeing all this.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I really wish I were. Because of what we do, I've been following this issue for a while now and it's only recently started to become more of a threat to regular people just like you.

Yup, that's about how I'm seeing all this.
    What a shitty way to go about getting more money. The only thing it will do is keep people like myself out of USF land. What a bunch of clowns.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

That's just insane!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411834012.408816.jpg
    The likelihood of me deleting this photo... 0 point 0!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    That's just insane!
    The likelihood of me deleting this photo... 0 point 0!!
    You're good, there's no props, models or merchandise to advertise in your pic. beautiful pic btw
    2013 Jeep with some stuff on it

There really only is one direction from here on out for this country as we know it.
    2014 JKUR Anvil
    KK6MRA

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast