Battery warning light on dash?

mikefishes

OK A few times recently, my jeep has cut off and the radio has reset as if the battery was totally disconnected. On a few other occasions it has "clicked" a time or two before starting as if the battery was almost dead. 99.9% of the time, however, it runs fine. I checked and one of my cables was slightly loose. I tightened it up and all appeared solved.

Last night the little red battery warning light kicked on during my drive home. A quick scan thru the interwebs tells me that this can be either the alternator, the battery, or the voltage regulator(?). I am not very experienced with electrical issues, and I am wondering if someone can recommend a simple way to figure out where to start as I try to run this down. The jeep has approx 94,000 miles on it.

I don't own an electrical gauge but I am not averse to buying or borrowing one if needed. Thoughts?

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 take it to an auto parts store and they can test your alternator and battery. depending on the type battery you have, failed battery plate will also cause this.

mikefishes

UPDATE: While I am unable to leave work at the moment I was able to get an electrical meter from one of the maintenance guys here.

While the jeep is off the voltage across the terminals is 12.94 volts. While it is running the voltage shows as 14.06 and it was wavering as high as 14.21

Does this provide any sort of clue? And by "clue" I don't mean as to how clueless I am!

Thanks!

pvanweelden

The best thing I can tell you is to go get your alternator and voltage regulator checked out

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

mikefishes

The best thing I can tell you is to go get your alternator and voltage regulator checked out

Will do. I was thinking the "running" voltage was what the regulator was putting out. I'll hit a NAPA on the way home

pvanweelden

Yes, but as you stated above your running voltage is a little low- which leads me to suspect your alternator or voltage regulator is having issues. Sorry, I don't always do the best at giving all the details. Things can come across so differently in text

mikefishes

Yes, but as you stated above your running voltage is a little low- which leads me to suspect your alternator or voltage regulator is having issues. Sorry, I don't always do the best at giving all the details. Things can come across so differently in text

It's all good! I always appreciate whatever advice anyone is trying to pass along here. I had no idea I could get it checked at the auto parts store. After a few calls, I now see that is common. Thank you for the help.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I've had similar problems in the past. It turned out to be loose battery cable connections. I cranked down the tightening screws where the cable attaches to the battery anodes and have had no problems since then.

mikefishes

I've had similar problems in the past. It turned out to be loose battery cable connections. I cranked down the tightening screws where the cable attaches to the battery anodes and have had no problems since then.

With my vast knowledge of electronics, THAT was the first thing I did:crazy eyes: One post was loose. When that didn't solve my issues I was out of ideas!

I appreciate the input though! :rock:

Last edited:

Strainger

Caught the Bug
With my vast knowledge of electronics, THAT was the first thing I did:crazy eyes: One post was loose. When that didn't solve my issues I was out of ideas!

I appreciate the input though! :rock:

Any time, partner. Here's hoping it turns out to be something simple and inexpensive in the end.

mikefishes

x2 take it to an auto parts store and they can test your alternator and battery. depending on the type battery you have, failed battery plate will also cause this.

UPDATE 2:

The battery light was intermittent and work was busy last week, so I just got around to tracking this light down this past weekend. Even though I thought I had tested the voltage correctly while engine was off, Auto Zone's test unit indicated that the voltage was correct but a "cell" was bad. Their test device will not test any component past the bad one. I quickly replaced the battery in the lot and then everything else tested OK. I guess it was just the battery.

I appreciate the help from you guys as I attempted to make it more difficult than it really was.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
UPDATE 2:

The battery light was intermittent and work was busy last week, so I just got around to tracking this light down this past weekend. Even though I thought I had tested the voltage correctly while engine was off, Auto Zone's test unit indicated that the voltage was correct but a "cell" was bad. Their test device will not test any component past the bad one. I quickly replaced the battery in the lot and then everything else tested OK. I guess it was just the battery.

I appreciate the help from you guys as I attempted to make it more difficult than it really was.

Glad it was as simple as it being the battery!

Top Bottom