Long arm kit ?

Ant's JK

I currently have an aev 3.5" lift with the drop brackets and realized I may increase my lift to 4.5" in the future, is it a practical decision to upgrade to a long arm kit while I still have the 3.5" lift in? Will it handle the same with a long arm kit?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

I currently have an aev 3.5" lift with the drop brackets and realized I may increase my lift to 4.5" in the future, is it a practical decision to upgrade to a long arm kit while I still have the 3.5" lift in? Will it handle the same with a long arm kit?

Im not a fan of drop brakets as they kinda void the point of a lift with getting more ground clearance!!

JKWrang

Im not a fan of drop brakets as they kinda void the point of a lift with getting more ground clearance!!

This is exactly why I didnt go with an AEV kit - the drop brackets sounded too much like more scraping parts to me than an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
You should be fine, I'm sure you probably got more than the 3.5" advertised height. Probably around the 4"mark. What long arms are you wanting to go with?

Ant's JK

I was thinking about going with Clayton long arm kit. There shop is about 20min from my home and I haven't heard a bad thing about them. How is the on road performance of long arms as opposed to the drop brackets?

olram30

I was thinking about going with Clayton long arm kit. There shop is about 20min from my home and I haven't heard a bad thing about them. How is the on road performance of long arms as opposed to the drop brackets?

Long arms really improve on road driving a lot. They get your control arms back to factory geometry. Go down and see what they have to offer. Maybe look at their rigs and check the quality. I've never purchased anything from them so I have no idea on their quality.

A radius arm setup relies on bind and there's a lot of torsional stress placed on the housings and joints. Especially the joint at the arm and part of the reason the RE kits eat through bushings.
I've also heard of the front end unloading while climbing and dive braking.
I don't see the complaints with Clayton's setup. Rubicon express... Different story.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412241094.778447.jpg

snopro

Banned
This is exactly why I didnt go with an AEV kit - the drop brackets sounded too much like more scraping parts to me than an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you know long arm kits hang low as well. I've installed a quite a few AEV kits and yeah they scrape, as much as everything scrapes when a person rock crawls. If someone is really concerned on scraping especially even with long arm is to do the Evo high clearance setup

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i know clayton is the way to go for the TJ guys but never heard of JK guys running there stuff. im sure its the exact same so it will work really well.

Ant's JK

There long arm kit isn't too cheap that's why I asked the questions about it before I spend the $$. I just want the same ride quality as I get now with the drop brackets as well as the flex

Ant's JK

Are they adjustable? Will the ride quality be as good as the drop bracket design?

olram30

So are you still going to run 35" tires with a larger lift? You mentioned you wanted to go taller.

Top Bottom