Overland Options: Roof Top tent with Rack VS Offroad Trailer with tent

Rack with Tent or Trailer with Tent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

combolc

Wanted to get some feeback from everyone regarding the pros and cons of each. I am attempting to determine the best solution for my 2dr JK and stuck in middle.

This is how I see it:

RTT:
Cons
Heavy on roof
Can get stuck on things
Cant setup base camp and wheel

Trailer
Cons
Expensive
Extra tires and wheels
How do they perform offroad? Is it an issue pulling a trailer around with you?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Do you just want to get off the ground? Trying to get away from regular tents?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
since you have a 2 door i suggest the trailer/popup option or just a traditional tent on the ground.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Yes and Yes.

Currently we camp with ground tent and setup shop. But I am also running low on space.

I get what your saying. I'm wanting to get a pop up camper myself. Just a small one. The old back gets stiff in the mornings.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Trailer. Having to pack up camp every morning just to do some exploring would suck IMHO. With a trailer you can have base camp. Although I guess if you never spend more than one night in the same place it wouldn't matter.

maxcustody

I have a Manley ORV trailer. I absolutely love it!!!!
70d6ef14af320c5632eceb33039201ee.jpg
f2b66763d10cb2604e4c255641684639.jpg
f3c459752485f7a3ee55ffc0db86224d.jpg
b1c0f7638301c71b290c4cf4a158889b.jpg
f415e6b951992daa12d7e4ac70e42dce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxcustody

No not at all. Have not had it long though....I have a max coupler hitch, the thing articulates in every direction. Just google it and there are videos on youtube. If you want pm me and we can talk about any questions about the trailer

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTG

Caught the Bug
I love the look of roof top tents, but I'm going to have to vote for trailer. Assuming you have a place to store it.

2013CGJKU

OR you can start hammock camping... just another lightweight super compact portable option.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

jagerhelix

Having run myRTT all summer and racking up nearly a month in it I'll say its not for everybody. The obvious con is you have to close it to drive. And I can't fit in my garage with it. But just the tent can be closed up in about five minutes to include sleeping bags and pillows. I like trailers a lot, but there is a point where they will hinder the difficulty of the trail you run, although for the most part a trailer is an awesome option. I thought the additional weight up top would be a big factor, but it really hasn't had much effect. Also not having to find a good place on the ground is convenient. That being said not everyone will like having a RTT. I sleep on the ground/snow a lot for work so I appreciate the mattress when I can get it.

That, and with the rack I have a box mounted that carries all my tools and recovery gear. I can load out all my sleeping gear, cookware, clothing without even getting into the cargo area.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Jk909

I like the pop up A-Frame trailers. I'm going to buy one once I move. I find them used for 2-3000. They set up in minutes and last a long time. I think they are built better than traditional pop up tents. http://www.aliner.com

combolc

I like the pop up A-Frame trailers. I'm going to buy one once I move. I find them used for 2-3000. They set up in minutes and last a long time. I think they are built better than traditional pop up tents. http://www.aliner.com

that is some serious luxury.. I don't know if that be good to drag around tails. :thinking:

bkac

Caught the Bug
OR you can start hammock camping... just another lightweight super compact portable option.

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

We started that and love it. Simply and really lightweight. Great for the Jeepin life

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Trailer. Having to pack up camp every morning just to do some exploring would suck IMHO. With a trailer you can have base camp. Although I guess if you never spend more than one night in the same place it wouldn't matter.

This. Unless you are crossing a continent, the RTT solution would drive me insane, having to pack it up every damn morning.....unless you go with something like the ursa minor top (not sure if available for 2 doors)....I'd go with a quality trailer, but ONLY if you want it for holding a heap of gear. If it's just for tent purposes, Id rather get a roof rack, and a quality tent. I can pop open my Coleman instant tent to fully staked before a guy with a RTT can even unfold his, and my tent is larger than my manhattan apartment was.

combolc

This. Unless you are crossing a continent, the RTT solution would drive me insane, having to pack it up every damn morning.....unless you go with something like the ursa minor top (not sure if available for 2 doors)....I'd go with a quality trailer, but ONLY if you want it for holding a heap of gear. If it's just for tent purposes, Id rather get a roof rack, and a quality tent. I can pop open my Coleman instant tent to fully staked before a guy with a RTT can even unfold his, and my tent is larger than my manhattan apartment was.

I do want it for tent and gear purposes. I am starting to think the trailer is definite solution. I do not hear any negatives about a trailer.

Top Bottom