Close

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xman4602 View Post
    Ok after reading all this, I admit to buying into the grade 8 craze. That being said my build is still pending completion. I have these bolts in place but have not tightened them yet. Would you guys recommend actually removing them in favor of the stock bolts or since they are there now would you tighten them and rock n roll?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I also did this before I found the WAYALIFE but like stated, they don't hurt anything, it was just $45 bucks I wasted. Damn you Northridge

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    I also did this before I found the WAYALIFE but like stated, they don't hurt anything, it was just $45 bucks I wasted. Damn you Northridge

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Meh. Can't blame Northridge really. They marketed it well to those of us that don't know better. I fell for it twice. Put them on my two door as well.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

This thread just saved me from buying into the bolt size hype and I can use it now towards another purchase.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I made the mistake of getting the bolt kit too and then immediately got RK arms all around with my lift. I figured at least I have back up bolts now for everything

Fresh Catch

Thanks

This forum has literally saved me money, the wisdom and jeep knowledge i find here on a daily basis is awesome! I know this is a older post but it was relevant to me as I was recently told by another jeeper that I should upgrade my bolts.

I have 114,000 on my rig and have never had a problem with factory bolts.
    Gots
    17-Inch Rubi Wheels
    295/70/17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's
    18/59 Springs & Rubi Shocks
    TF Leveling Kit
    1.5" Spidertrax Spacers
    Warn Rock Crawler Stubby & Engo 9000 Winch
    EVO Rear Bolt On "D" Ring Mounts
    EVO Rear Corner Rock Skins
    Rough Country Skids

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Wish I had found this post 2 weeks ago, lol. $40 down the drain.☹️

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Still not convinced? Let's take a closer look at how things work. When you look at the bushing of your track bar or control arms, the metal piece in the middle where your bolt will go through is called a "crush sleeve". AS IN, it's designed to get pushed really really hard from either end. The purpose of your bolts and nuts is to provide "compression" and cause your mounts to act like a vice by clamping down really really hard on the crush sleeve. The crush sleeves is NOT supposed to rotate AT ALL when installed correctly but rather, the bonded rubber bushing will twist around it. Of course, if you have a polyurethane bushing, heim or other aftermarket joint, the bushing will rotate around the sleeve or misalignment spacers - again, there is NO movement around the bolt and therefore, shouldered bolts are NOT necessary. This is the reason why bolts are rated for "torque" and NOT "sheer" - the value of compression strength is all that is necessary to hold things together. Don't believe me? Place a pencil between your index finger and thumb and hold it in the air. Why doesn't the pencil fall? I mean, there's no bolt going though your finger and thumb to hold it in place. Pinch it harder and it will even take effort to move the pencil around. Imagine that - compression alone made that possible.

If you really want to spend money on your Jeep, invest in a good torque wrench and use it as a part of regular maintenance.
    I'm new here. But here's what I'll say: the brace where trackbar attached to the front axle has a hole for an inch bolt. And the fact that the metric bolt is used there leads to the fact that the hole will break and turn into an oval. That all leads to a shimmy.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    My opinion is: You can tighten and tighten the bolt from time to time. Or you can just change it to the correct one.
    P.S. Sorry for my English.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    I'm new here. But here's what I'll say: the brace where trackbar attached to the front axle has a hole for an inch bolt. And the fact that the metric bolt is used there leads to the fact that the hole will break and turn into an oval. That all leads to a shimmy.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    My opinion is: You can tighten and tighten the bolt from time to time. Or you can just change it to the correct one.
    P.S. Sorry for my English.
    Can I have your factory bolts then please?

The factory bolts are perfect. If you keep it torqued like your supposed to then the hole will never oval. It only ovals from not being at the right spec. And if it does, weld a washer on the hole and bring it back to size.
    October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JKS
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assist

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast