Best Axles for JKUR 5.7 Hemi

Caretaker

I've been all over the Dynatrac website and searched the forums, but don't really have a consensus on which way to go. Tons of options/choices for front/rear axles on my '08 JKUR with 5.7L Hemi. It's heavy. F&R AEV bumpers, full skids, 35" tires, AEV wheels. Drive mostly on rocks, but I have a light foot. I'm old. Drive elegant, not crazy. Currently, I'm running RCV axles in the front with sleeves, but, other than that, factory 44s w/4.88s. I haven't broken anything yet, but am considering upgrading to be sure I don't. Just don't know which way to go. ProRock 44? Trail 60? Hybrid 44/60? ProRock 60? Or, a mixture for front & rear?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
for a hemi i would suggest PR60 F/R at least. even a PR80 in the rear for the added strength

Eddie has the LS motor conversion on Moby and Mel has the Hemi conversion on EVO1 and both are running the PR80 rears and PR60 up front with PSC hydraulic steering. If you have watched the 2011 JKX you will see a silver JKU runing RockJox 60 with a Hemi and he broke an axle. In the 2013 JKX the same Silver JKU went to Dynatrac PR80 rear and PR60 front and has not had an issue. In fact after watching the King of Hammers and the Vegas to Reno race where Mel raced EVO1 and did not have any issues with axles I would highly recommend the Dynatrac PR80/60 combo. If I could afford it that is what I would go with.

R/
Will

Caretaker

Thanks for the advice. That appears to be the way I'll go. Hope I don't break what I've got until I can afford the good stuff!

JaySC

Hmm...I've heard a PR 60/80 combo is the way to go for a hemi with 40" tires. Not sure about 35" tires.

The price difference between the 60 and 80 is about $1500. So with that I would spend the extra and get the 80 as added insurance and option to upgrade tire size down the road.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just run what ya brung! I would guess on 35s you'd be fine for a long time, especially with a light foot. It's not like it's going to spontaneously explode. Save for 60s and drop the $ if you need to. Of course I'm no expert and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been all over the Dynatrac website and searched the forums, but don't really have a consensus on which way to go. Tons of options/choices for front/rear axles on my '08 JKUR with 5.7L Hemi. It's heavy. F&R AEV bumpers, full skids, 35" tires, AEV wheels. Drive mostly on rocks, but I have a light foot. I'm old. Drive elegant, not crazy. Currently, I'm running RCV axles in the front with sleeves, but, other than that, factory 44s w/4.88s. I haven't broken anything yet, but am considering upgrading to be sure I don't. Just don't know which way to go. ProRock 44? Trail 60? Hybrid 44/60? ProRock 60? Or, a mixture for front & rear?

Just to make sure I'm on the same page here, you are just going to be running 35" tires?

kyle521

If you are only running 35s you should be fine with a pr60, but for the money your already spending its worth it to go bigger. The way you drive, you should be okay with your setup until you can save up

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
If you plan on running 35" or no bigger than 37" tires I'd have to say the Trail 60 may be all you really need for the rear.......Throw a PR44 up front and be done with it.........if you're as easy on the skinny pedal as you say you are you should be fine with that setup......

~Woodrow~

Caretaker,

In addition to the info you gave us, Wayalife asked a key question that would guide our recommendation. Tire size. I am also assuming with 35’s that you have a relatively low-lift of 3” or under. If you are really confident that you will stay with 35" tires, and you wish to purchase only what you need, then the Pro60 full-float would be my choice for the rear, and a ProRock 44 with RCV shafts up front. That is the lowest cost set-up to do a quality build.

However, if you think you could creep up to 37" or even 40" tires down the road, I would make a different recommendation. Going to bigger tires is a typical progression for most folks, so consider this carefully before making a decision.

If you go to the 37's, I would consider the ProRock 44 Hybrid or the ProRock 60 up front, but still keep the Pro60 Full-float in back. The Hybrid ProRock 44 will give you more engine to pumpkin clearance at full-jounce, have ample gear strength, and put you in the big 1480, 35-spline shafts. The ProRock 60 front is obviously still the stronger housing, gear and diff combo.

If you think you might go for the whole 40” enchilada down the road, and can swing the finances now, the ProRock 60 front and ProRock 80 rear will never, ever fail you.

Our policy is NOT to up-sell customers unless they truly need more, or simply demand the top shelf options.

Feel free to call in and discuss these options with one of our sales guys. It is our job to help you make the best decision for your needs.

Top Bottom