OC to West end of the Mojave Road Nov. 1st

groovebus

Hello everyone, I'm planning a little day trip out to the west end of the Mojave Rd. area. Starting 30 Miles East of Barstow if anyone is interested in tagging along. This is a scouting trip for the full 140 miles from Laughlin NV to Barstow next Spring. It's mostly a sight seeing tour through some canyons, sand dunes, washes, dry lake and I think we will hitting an open pit mine.

I will be leaving North OC around 6am, getting to Lenwood Rd. in Barstow around 7:30 to top off the tank and get some snacks. I will be returning mid-afternoon as I have to talk to a man about making and welding on some rock sliders for me in Hysperia.

If anyone is insterested PM me for more details. So far it's 2 fairly stock JKUs.

groovebus

Thanks for the link the pictures are awesome. We are just doing Harvard road exit to Soda lake this trip. Then heading out Zzyxx rd. at soda lake back to the highway. Next spring will be nice to do the full trip since the plants will be blooming.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
I think i may tag along if you dont mind. I could follow up seeing as i am in San Dimas if you do 57/210 . I will confirm early next week sounds like fun though.

rubicrawl

Thanks for the link the pictures are awesome. We are just doing Harvard road exit to Soda lake this trip. Then heading out Zzyxx rd. at soda lake back to the highway. Next spring will be nice to do the full trip since the plants will be blooming.

Ill see what I have planned and let you know

groovebus

I think it would be best if we all just meet at the Lenwood Rd. exit in Barstow at the Shell station. At 8am. It's the first right, after the exit. I think there is a Chevron across the street. Does everyone have CBs?

I've never been on this trail, but I hear it's awesome. I have some pretty good topographic maps that I downloaded from http://www.mojave-road.com/mojave-road-maps.htm. I've researched the trail on Google maps, using those maps as a reference, and it looks pretty cool. Nothing to hard, but a great place to get a new desktop wallpaper for my computer at work. :)

We will be doing maps 15-19. Only in reverse. Starting at the Harvard Rd. Exit and driving down Yermo road to Alvord Mountain Rd.
We will disconnect and air down at Alvord Mountain. I've been to Alvord Mountain before.

Last edited:

Robicon

Is this something a stock 2014 Rubicon can do without getting banged up, or do you need 35's or better?

groovebus

Is this something a stock 2014 Rubicon can do without getting banged up, or do you need 35's or better?

For a Rubicon this will be a piece of cake. This is more of a sightseeing and recon trip. Most of this trail is wide open washes, so not many rocks or thorn bushes. You could probably pull this off with little stock 30" tires on steel rims.

groovebus

^^^^ Friends with this guy, I may tag along sounds like a fun day.

Anyone else from north OC? I'm in Cypress.

I'm in North Anaheim; by the 91/57 interchange. I figure it's just easier to get everyone to Barstow and meet up at 8. That way no one is waiting on anyone. The trail starts 30 miles north on the I-15 from Barstow.

JR24

I live in paramount. can I tag along? it will be my first trip with a bunch of jeeps. I have a completely stock jk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

groovebus

I live in paramount. can I tag along? it will be my first trip with a bunch of jeeps. I have a completely stock jk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Of course. Safety in numbers. Just be in Barstow at Lenwood Rd. by 8am. The Shell station is right at the top of the off ramp. I'm just heading out there with a map and a good idea of where I want to go. I just said if anyone wants they can follow me out there. :)

It's not hard, but it's got alot of different features to drive over and explore.

I think we are up to 5 or 6 other Jeeps now. Hopefully everyone has CBs.

Last edited:

outofstepJK

Of course. Safety in numbers. Just be in Barstow at Lenwood Rd. by 8am. The Shell station is right at the top of the off ramp. I'm just heading out there with a map and a good idea of where I want to go. I just said if anyone wants they can follow me out there. :)

It's not hard, but it's got alot of different features to drive over and explore.

I think we are up to 5 or 6 other Jeeps now. Hopefully everyone has CBs.

I have a CB. Im coming from cypress so looks like it's a 530am time for me. I will want to gas up in barstow too. Should be a good day and make for some good pics and video.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

What channel CB will you use??
I could recommend 20, but what ever you like will work.
I did this road back in May, and it is easy-peasy for a Jeep with some smarts involved.
I will need to be a "Maybe".... :brows:

groovebus

What channel CB will you use??
I could recommend 20, but what ever you like will work.
I did this road back in May, and it is easy-peasy for a Jeep with some smarts involved.
I will need to be a "Maybe".... :brows:

I usually use Ch. 13 because most superstitious people won't use it and it keeps the interference on the channel down. Lucky 13. :)

Top Bottom