Ford Troller T4 - Yea or Nay?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who never venture out of the Jeep world, there's a Brazilian company called Troller that Ford acquired a while back and earlier in the summer, released what is known as the Troller T4. Essentially, it's a 4WD vehicle that is something akin to an oversized modernized Daihatsu Rock or old school 2-d-door Isuzu Trooper or even Mitsubishi Montaro. Basically, something that if Ford were to release it here in America, it might prove to be competition for the Wrangler. Anyway, I know it's not a Jeep but was wondering what you guys thought about it.

Here's the original article I had read about it on Jalopnik earlier this summer.

The Troller T4 Is The Modern Ford Bronco We Need And Deserve
By Patrick George

xnjwxd2j7f4joee73nbp.jpg

If you made a list of all the American classic cars we'd like to see resurrected, the classic Ford Bronco would rank pretty high up there. Troller, a division of Ford, just debuted the most desirable neo-Bronco I think I've seen yet. Too bad it's not headed our way.

This is the Ford Troller T4. If you're not familiar with Troller, it's a Brazilian maker of trucks and off-roading vehicles that has been around since the 1990s and became a subsidiary of Ford in the last decade.

The T4 is their latest vehicle, and their first since the takeover. That explains why it pretty clearly draws its inspiration from the old Bronco. I see a little bit of Jeep, Land Rover and Toyota FJ influence in there too.

m78nmm0kg6wuelemxwpg.jpg

The T4 is 4x4 (duh) and powered by a 3.2-liter turbodiesel engine with unspecified power mated to a six-speed manual transmission. AutoEvolution says it also has heavy-duty Dana axles, a sway bar disconnect feature, and a high-mounted air intake.

Sounds great, right? Now for the sad part: this Bronco is for Brazil only, no matter how badly we want it. And that's a real shame. America demands a new Bronco, and this could do the trick! Who wouldn't want to go Trolling in this T4?

qslpmnsuavxcqocwvga0.jpg

Article can be found here:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-troller-t4-is-the-modern-ford-bronco-we-need-and-de-1585307889

Of course, this article that I just saw this morning by Andrew P. Collins is what prompted me to post up about it today. What do you think of this thing? Is Andrew on to something or just ON something? :D

This Troller T4 Concept Is All Your Favorite Old-School SUVs, Plus Armor
By Andrew P. Collins

xcccl5qapuoawsudyr2m.jpg

The Troller T4 is one of the coolest and most capable new SUVs on the world market. It's also got a short enough wheelbase to squeeze just about anywhere. So how could it possibly be improved? With heaping swaths of armor and LEDs, obviously.

xdlex0lhyfqfcn9upawk.jpg

Since Ford acquired the off-road outfit Troller for its Brazilian market in 2007, the Troller T4 has been the spiritual successor to the Bronco. With rough-n-tumble looks and mountain-goat moves to back them up it competes with off-road pickups, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Toyota FJ Cruiser (while it's still with us).

The truck is being trotted out for the São Paulo Auto Show to exhibit "versatility of the new applications Troller T4 and highlight the functionality of the utility."

gljutfaeoq2bibodoprn.jpg

As Troller's main marketing woman Clara Freire divulges (translated from Brazilian Portuguese):

"The Troller is already developed vehicles for the Environmental Police and Fire Department. Now, we bring the theme of redemption on a concept that takes advantage of the characteristics of the vehicle. Also we have evolved with special off-road version that will be used as a test market in the Hall. This version uses the strength and robustness of T4 to overcome any challenge with a distinctive and striking look."​

v0tunofjmfnavhmec7qx.jpg

Full article can be found here:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/this-...-is-the-ultimate-deep-woods-1651314958/+damon

Sithwindu

Would definitely give the wrangler some competition indeed! Not a bad design! Would be fun to see it released in America but don't think ford would take that risk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Actually I kind of like it. Given the name, it would be a perfect vehicle for Overlander to use to cruise the local high school. :bleh:

stweasel

If Wrangler sales keep at their high numbers it only would make sense for Ford to try to capture a piece of the market, But I don't think its coming as they might cut into their own Raptor sales.

GCM 2

I would give it a shot, definitely has some potential. Although the copper and bronze concept model was a little too churched up for my taste, kind of like when jeep did the same to the Gladiator truck back in the day before the JK (just like they always do a little too much melodramatic styling on a concept to gauge where the market is at on it before the final product gets blessed off).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would definitely give the wrangler some competition indeed! Not a bad design! Would be fun to see it released in America but don't think ford would take that risk

If Wrangler sales keep at their high numbers it only would make sense for Ford to try to capture a piece of the market, But I don't think its coming as they might cut into their own Raptor sales.

It's sad to say but, I agree, I really doubt that Ford would bring it over here and really, that's a shame. Hell, they don't even sell the Ranger here anymore even though they still make it and sell it overseas.

I would give it a shot, definitely has some potential. Although the copper and bronze concept model was a little too churched up for my taste, kind of like when jeep did the same to the Gladiator truck back in the day before the JK (just like they always do a little too much melodramatic styling on a concept to gauge where the market is at on it before the final product gets blessed off).

Oh yeah, the "churched up" copper/bronze article is what made me want to post this up but, unless I'm seeing things, this Troller T4 at least has solid axles and could be fun to wheel.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Strange how much that reminds me of the old Daihatsu rocky. Make it look like a retro bronco with a removable top and now your speaking my language!

I don't really like this, but I am a huge fan of Ford moving into this market. To be completely honest, I think they could make a Jeep (like) vehicle better than Chrysler ever did, and certainly better than I expect Fiat to do. I would love it if Ford reclaimed some of their "Jeep" heritage :yup:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I like this "truck" in the Troller version. Nice show vehicle. Not sure I like the $45K it'll probably cost when equipped.:yup:

Top Bottom