Email Client Help (Mac)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, figured many of you would be able to help me.

My mother runs a law firm, and uses an Imac at home for work. She has been using microsoft Entourage for her email client, but microsoft has since abandoned the program, no longer supports it, updates it, etc, and it has been giving nothing but problems lately, so we would like to switch. I know Outlook is the new Entourage, but I generally hate anything and everything Microsoft, not to mention, it's $299 for office (the only way to get outlook) and she already paid for the last version of office (which came with entourage.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions for an email client as powerful as outlook/entourage (that can organize like they can, etc) that is mac friendly, well supported, etc etc? Some suggested thunderbird, but I am not sure if it has all the features of outlook.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't know much about business email clients. Thanks a lot.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have you looked at Microsoft 365? Its essentially office in a cloud format that (to my knowledge) is significantly cheaper than the non cloud version.

Loading please wait....

mattfl

Hey guys, figured many of you would be able to help me.

My mother runs a law firm, and uses an Imac at home for work. She has been using microsoft Entourage for her email client, but microsoft has since abandoned the program, no longer supports it, updates it, etc, and it has been giving nothing but problems lately, so we would like to switch. I know Outlook is the new Entourage, but I generally hate anything and everything Microsoft, not to mention, it's $299 for office (the only way to get outlook) and she already paid for the last version of office (which came with entourage.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions for an email client as powerful as outlook/entourage (that can organize like they can, etc) that is mac friendly, well supported, etc etc? Some suggested thunderbird, but I am not sure if it has all the features of outlook.

Any help would be appreciated, as I don't know much about business email clients. Thanks a lot.

The built in Mail program perhaps?

also, paying $299 for office isn't the only way to get outlook

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I know, I was just hoping there would be an "apple quality" client that "just works" and doesn't have the microsoft stink on it. The stock apple email program is great for the casual user, but it's not really business friendly. Maybe thunderbird is worth a shot, being that it's free and all.

mattfl

I know, I was just hoping there would be an "apple quality" client that "just works" and doesn't have the microsoft stink on it. The stock apple email program is great for the casual user, but it's not really business friendly. Maybe thunderbird is worth a shot, being that it's free and all.

Mail supports exchange and also supports folders. What else exactly in a mail client is she looking for?

Sharkey

Word Ninja

How big is the firm and what specifically does she need to do? My firm uses the mac mail program and we have no issues with it at all. I can't think of something that I used to do using Outlook that I am unable to do on mac mail.

JAGS

Hooked
How big is the firm and what specifically does she need to do? My firm uses the mac mail program and we have no issues with it at all. I can't think of something that I used to do using Outlook that I am unable to do on mac mail.

Yup, this. Can't think of much it can't do, unless you just don't like the interface.

Coll thing with Mail too is there is live tech support at every Apple store. You can take in your laptop and they will help.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I would not, however, rely on iCloud or most any other cloud-based backup system for confidential law firm data (emails, documents, etc.). It is not secure enough, and there will be an ABA opinion released in the not too distant future addressing cloud-based storage.

Last edited:

stweasel

Try Thunderbird, its put out by Mozilla (Firefox) so there should be plenty of support. It does not have all of the features of Microsoft Outlook. but, with all of the add-ons available it should make it very similar. Not sure how good it will work for business applications but it was easy to set up on my dads computer.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Honestly, I didn't know that. I didn't know you can organize by folders. Her firm is just her, and she does commercial litigation, immigration, PI, and USA/Russia business transactions.

I asked her today what it is she wanted the program to do...she said folders and automated reply capability (like if you go on vacation). As for folders, she wants to have all relevant emails go into individual client folders....like if she had 500 emails with your case, they would all be in the Sharkey folder. If she had 450 more from Eddie, all would be in the Eddie folder, and so on. Are you saying that apple mail can do this? If so, that would be great news.

(I know I sound like a dunce, I just don't know jack sh!t about email, since I just use my gmail.)

I think I will try thunderbird and apple mail, and see which one she prefers.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Honestly, I didn't know that. I didn't know you can organize by folders. Her firm is just her, and she does commercial litigation, immigration, PI, and USA/Russia business transactions.

I asked her today what it is she wanted the program to do...she said folders and automated reply capability (like if you go on vacation). As for folders, she wants to have all relevant emails go into individual client folders....like if she had 500 emails with your case, they would all be in the Sharkey folder. If she had 450 more from Eddie, all would be in the Eddie folder, and so on. Are you saying that apple mail can do this? If so, that would be great news.

(I know I sound like a dunce, I just don't know jack sh!t about email, since I just use my gmail.)

I think I will try thunderbird and apple mail, and see which one she prefers.

Apple mail will absolutely do folders like that. And you can make "smart" folders so the emails automatically get routed to the correct folder.

I presume she has a web-based email provider (like go daddy) if she has her own domain, or she has something like yahoo or gmail. Either way, it's easiest to use the web based program to set up the out of office notification.

With a firm of one, there is no reason to buy a new program. Apple mail will work just fine.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I have to use Outlook in corporate amerika - but if I didn't have to, I'd use Sparrow. Also Airmail is good.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would not, however, rely on iCloud or most any other cloud-based backup system for confidential law firm data (emails, documents, etc.). It is not secure enough, and there will be an ABA opinion released in the not too distant future addressing cloud-based storage.

She wont. She is going to want to keep the emails on the providers server and her imac. It would be great if you could turn off icloud storage for apple main, but Im sure that can be done.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Apple mail will absolutely do folders like that. And you can make "smart" folders so the emails automatically get routed to the correct folder.

I presume she has a web-based email provider (like go daddy) if she has her own domain, or she has something like yahoo or gmail. Either way, it's easiest to use the web based program to set up the out of office notification.

With a firm of one, there is no reason to buy a new program. Apple mail will work just fine.

Correct, she has a web based provider (used to be fortunecity, now it's something else). Thank you very much for your help bud, much appreciated!
P.S. Expect a bunch of PMs from me when Im setting it up for her and need help. :D )

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have to use Outlook in corporate amerika - but if I didn't have to, I'd use Sparrow. Also Airmail is good.

Thank you for that. It seems they have just been acquired by google, which is a plus. Will take a look at it as well. :thumb:

Top Bottom