My Ueber Slow Jeep TJ Build

LetsGoMuddin

After a year or more of shopping, I finally found my first vehicle! I have always wanted a Jeep, so last night I bought a 1997 Jeep TJ!:wings: :rock:
IMG_0541.jpg
A little back round on me. My name is Jonathan and I am a college freshman this year. I have always enjoyed tinkering with radio controlled cars, and building stuff. Cars and trucks have been an interest to me for most of my life, so I am preparing to take a two year Chrysler automotive class at a local community college. Chrysler because they make Jeeps and because my dad has a Dodge Ram truck. I don't have too much experience with cars, but I'm hoping to gain some experience from working on my Jeep as well as from everyone here on the forums. I'm not sure where I will go with building the Jeep as Mass off road laws suck and there's not a lot of places to go wheeling. I guess I'd like to keep the Jeep low, may be lift it a couple inches. I'm interested in the Metalcloak fenders for increased tire clearance. I'll probably start off with some Trucklites, but we'll see what happens. ANY information is welcome, if it looks like I'm doing something wrong with my Jeep when I begin building, please let me know! I'm a noobie to Jeeps! :clap2: Thanks everyone, see you around the forums!
-Jonathan

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Congrats once again! truck lites will be a very good mod for you as they are a huge improvment over stock!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the TJ :thumb: can't wait to see how the build turns out for ya

Again congrats :thumb: and good luck with the classes

JK LYF

Congrats to you! Looking forward to seeing your Jeep build!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LetsGoMuddin

Congrats to you in your new to you Jeep! I look froward to seeing it getting built up :)
Thanks Eddie! I'll probably be using those write ups in the TJ section! :yup:
Congrats once again! truck lites will be a very good mod for you as they are a huge improvment over stock!
Thanks again Cozdude! I'll probably pull the trigger on the Truck Lites sometime soon.
Congrats on the first jeep, looking forward to what you add on to it
Congrats to you! Looking forward to seeing your Jeep build!!
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks for the comments guys! :thumb:

LetsGoMuddin

Have always liked the tan interior.

Nice. I have always been a fan of the TJs

Congrats on the new ride.

Congrats and welcome to the framily.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Thanks everyone! I've fixed the wipers and had the Jeep inspected. It's a lot of fun to drive, I'm going to see how the stock headlights work before I call Northridge about a price match on Trucklites. I actually let my mom drive the Jeep one day and she got a Jeep wave! :clap2:
Btw, what are some good mods that I can make to the Jeep? I'm not going to be wheeling it a ton, maybe a couple times a year if that. Thanks for the help and I'll see you around Wayalife!
Oh and I forgot to mention that I tried taking off the drivers side door and it wouldn't budge after I unbolted the doors. The door just wouldn't lift off the hinges. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Moabbnd

Good to see another TJ owner here. Since you want to run metal cloaks with a couple inches of lift, I'm guessing you want to run at least 35" tires? What gear ratio do you have and what rear axle? The jeep looks real clean and a good starting point

LetsGoMuddin

Good to see another TJ owner here. Since you want to run metal cloaks with a couple inches of lift, I'm guessing you want to run at least 35" tires? What gear ratio do you have and what rear axle? The jeep looks real clean and a good starting point

I would say 35s would be the biggest I want to go, but this is a learning experience for me since this is my first Jeep.:) I'm not exactly sure what the gear ratio is but the rear axle is a D35.

Armydog

There's a thread on here about getting stuck doors to come off. I had the same issue with my TJ, and my sons JKUR. Basically you need to push up while wiggling the door a little open an closed. I put a floor jack under the edge of the door, with a block of wood between the jack and the door metal to protect it from damage. Then just lift a little tiny bit at a time, watch out cause once they come free to come off quick. Last thing you want to do is drop the door and mess it up. Definitely a two person job, but not hard really. Just take your time.

Sessoms14X

That is one clean TJ. I'm really missing mine. I love the way they look. Can't wait to see what all you do to it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

LetsGoMuddin

There's a thread on here about getting stuck doors to come off. I had the same issue with my TJ, and my sons JKUR. Basically you need to push up while wiggling the door a little open an closed. I put a floor jack under the edge of the door, with a block of wood between the jack and the door metal to protect it from damage. Then just lift a little tiny bit at a time, watch out cause once they come free to come off quick. Last thing you want to do is drop the door and mess it up. Definitely a two person job, but not hard really. Just take your time.

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see what happens!:thumb:

That is one clean TJ. I'm really missing mine. I love the way they look. Can't wait to see what all you do to it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far!:)

Top Bottom