Insurance Build?

JLearie

Is it unheard of to upgrade to aftermarket parts after an accident through an insurance claim? My jeep was pushed into a power pole while parked, so fault is 100% the other drivers. Is it uncommon to work with the body shop and pay the difference for aftermarket/upgraded parts?

I hate sports cars, they scratch my diffs.

I have heard of that before but but will be something that has to be worked out with the shop. I wrecked my bike and was able to get a bunch of upgrades for it.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
JKWrang did something similar to what your discribing. when his body work was being done he had the shop throw his lift kit on. im not sure whatelse they did tho. im sure he will weight in on it.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just get three estimates, they'll probably be high. Then have their insurance cut you the check.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Depends on your insurance company and bank if you have a loan out on your Jeep. Most lien holders will want the parts replaced with identical parts. They want the vehicle back to how it was before the accident. Something to check on, this is just my experience from when I worked in a body shop.

Holster642

My family owns a body shop and we have done that a few times. Like said before just turn in the estimates and get your check. Most of the time the insurance companies don't really care as long as you are happy and sign the completion invoice. But i'm sure some insurance nazi's exist.

LeighP

I've done this when I got knocked off my bike.....insurance paid for a standard respray and new badges, the shop did a custom paint and put the badge money towards the paint....I paid the difference.
Everyone was happy with the deal.
That said, I did own the bike outright.......no idea how a finance company with an interest in the bike may have reacted.

jeeeep

Hooked
Is it unheard of to upgrade to aftermarket parts after an accident through an insurance claim? My jeep was pushed into a power pole while parked, so fault is 100% the other drivers. Is it uncommon to work with the body shop and pay the difference for aftermarket/upgraded parts?

I did this just recently, once the estimator completed his quote I contacted him and worked out what I would like to upgrade and pay the difference on.

I didn't let it go to the body shop until we worked it all out. Talk to the body shop before you send it off to make sure they can do the work required for the upgrades you want.
After sitting for 2 weeks at the body shop, they called to let me know they didn't have shops or expertise to deal with my lift or install the PR44 and other upgrades. This ended up costing me a whole month to get it done. Also, make sure the shop you take it to is on your insurance vendor list and knows how to provide the proper paperwork to the insurance company

JLearie

Thanks for the help everyone. Still no word from my insurance, but hoping to hear from them today. My uncle owns the body shop, so he's willing to work with me to do any upgrades with me paying the difference. It's only going to be bumpers right now, but still better than nothing. This is what it looks like when an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured driver hits your Jeep with an f-250.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415192202.892338.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415192220.997032.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415192244.235338.jpg

LeighP

Have to say it....the Jeep stood up well to getting clouted by something the size of an F250.
Whats the story with the F250 driver and all the "un's"? Was he drunk, too?

Top Bottom