EVO Springs vs Rock Krawler Springs

G-man

Hi everyone. I need help with this issue...

I have been looking to upgrade my suspension on my 4dr JK. Right now I have 2.5" TF lift. I am currently looking towards the 3.5 or 4 inch lift. Currently stuck on EVO Manufacturing or Rock Krawler springs....... WHICH leads me to what I need help with.....

WHat is / are the difference(s) between the EVO Plush ride springs and the the Rock Krawler Triple rate springs?

I Have been reading throughout the Forum, and can not find anything. The comments I read the most are that you can not go wrong, whether it is the EVO springs or the RK springs, and that they handle like stock on road and work great off road...

Any light to this would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I love my 3" plush ride coils. Ride is better than stock imo.evo coils have a long free length, some rk coils run short. Never tried rk triple rates. One member switched from rk to evo and seems happy.

I just switched from RK's new coils to Evo plush rides.
Overall feel "IMO" is about the same. The new RK coils are a really nice coil compared to the previous gen progressive/linear combo.
Where the Evo's shine, bigger bumps, potholes are absorbed better. Not softer but (less of a kick as some describe it) as the soft part of the coil transitions to the firmer rate. Hard to describe actually. Somebody with a 4 door may have a different opinion. Shock/coil choice is more important on a shorter wheelbase 2 door. Get it wrong and you're all over the place ... Not fun.
Both coils run with Rancho 9000's.
I prefer the higher settings with a softer coil. The jeep is more planted/stable.
I think you'll be happy either choice.

TORQUEADDICT

Thanks,I had basically the same question about the EVO Plush Rides compared to others. Next question is what shocks work best for a double duty '11 JKU that will see more road time than off road time?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks,I had basically the same question about the EVO Plush Rides compared to others. Next question is what shocks work best for a double duty '11 JKU that will see more road time than off road time?

I have bilstein 5100, but if I could redo it, I'd go with the adjustable Rancho 9000.

Last edited:

CharlieK

I have the Rock Krawler, would not recommend them. A buddy has the EVO Plush Rides, no comparison ride is truly better than stock.

I have the Rock Krawler springs and I do recommend them. I transitioned from Teraflex coils, to Rubicon Express coils, and now to these.

G-man

I keep reading the description on the manufacturers website, and the information given are very vague. 2 dr JK i know are affected differently than the 4 dr. Mainly due to weight, wheel bases, and possibly different pivot point locations.

Thank you for the information guys, please keep the inputs coming.....

As to suspension, I already have King in hand...

Last edited:

G-man

2007blackjk... Thank you for your input.

I have a question, How noticeable is the progression spring rate on your 2 dr? Curious...

Thank you

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have the EVO plush ride coils and really like them. They are truly better, softer and more comfortable than stock.

I've only ridden in a Jeep with RK coils and didn't think they were what I would consider "better" with regard to ride quality over stock. But that's just me.

Cozmik

I had the old RK springs. Sagged like mad after a year. Between that and the control arm and track bar joints shitting the bed after less than 2 years I really don't have a lot of good things to say about RK. After starting off with the RK 2.5" Flex system, the only RK piece left on my Jeep is the rear track bar bracket. Maybe the new stuff is better but I'm not willing to spend the money to find out.

2007blackjk... Thank you for your input.

I have a question, How noticeable is the progression spring rate on your 2 dr? Curious...

Thank you

Not sure what you mean ?

RK is on rev 2 of their new TR coils.
The first rev TR fronts were very short. The current rev coils are longer. softened and ride better.
The new rears don't stack up on the top like rev 1's did. I still have the rev 1 rears, not sure what was changed.

I still have the RK coils. Not a bad coil at all. The fist gen coils sucked. Honestly rode worse then the TF coils I ran previous :)

G-man

Not sure what you mean ?

I was looking for the second, third, and anymore points of engagement on the progression of the spring... To better put it, At what points do you feel the different spring rates kicking in when travel of the spring is compressing? Like, do you noticeably notice when the heavier spring rates engage? And if so, what is type of feed back / input do you get...

Sorry for the questions... Just really interested

Thank you

Harder hits, bigger bumps, post holes, bridge expansion joints. Kinda feels like bumpsteer in a way.
The redesign fixed most of it. Before every bump could be felt. I believe RK moved the transition rate section down further. There's more soft rate to help absorb impact better = less kick.
The Rancho 9000's are not the best dampening shock either. Nice being able to adjust them. The higher you run them the better the shock dampens the coil. I ran softer settings with RK's coils.
With the same settings and Evo's coils, there's a lot of body movement. The evo coil is soft enough to let me run 7/8 on the dial. The ride is firm but not harsh.

TORQUEADDICT

All this info is a great help, I'm glad I could piggyback this thread and gather information, more is always better. Thanks guys.
Also, what are other good shock options to run with EVO springs?

evo 4" on my 4 door jeep with bilstien 5100... not one person who has rode in it said anything bad about the ride actualy everyone says and i mean everyone holy shit this thing is a cadillac on and offroad! over time on the trail the shocks fade but thats to be expected with non resi but for the majority the setup is amazing! very happy going on my second year with the setup then it will all me pulled out and jeep will be on coil overs for even better ride.

anyone thinking about it tho the evo with rancho or bilstiens rock! but i am yet to rip a jeep with a rock krawler kit so i cant talk about there ride at all.

kyle521

I run the 2.5 stock mod rock krawler on my 4 door. Had it for almost 2 years now and I love it. It rides a lot better than my friends jk with stock suspension. Never had experience with evo coils so can't help comparing them to evo. Which ever you choose, Im sure you will enjoy. Just make sure to get some nice shocks as well.

sparkymoffett

i have an 07 jku sahara.
Bilstein 5160's and recently swapped in the EVO 3" PLUSH springs.
Made a world of difference. Feels more stable.
The old springs were (I'm guessing) procomp 2.5"

Even the wife said it felt smoother.

Top Bottom