Trail Tools: Air tools or Power Tools(dewalt, makita)

FastZach

So my dad and I are talking about what tools to get in the jeep for trail repairs. So my questions is, Power tools or air system with air
tools?

Which is a better system to have on the trail?

I know you have to have multiple batteries for power tools and be able to charge them but you also have to have a air tank/large air compressor to be able to run air tools.

Appreciate the help

David1tontj

So my dad and I are talking about what tools to get in the jeep for trail repairs. So my questions is, Power tools or air system with air
tools?

I know you have to have multiple batteries for power tools and be able to charge them but you also have to have a air tank/large air compressor to be able to run air tools.

Appreciate the help

I have an onboard air tank and compressor- so I used to carry pneumatic tools. The problem, was that my compressor wouldn't quite keep up enough to adequately run the larger tools for extended periods of time. Also- you likely need your rig to be running in order to run the compressor that long..

I switched over to battery powered tools and haven't regretted it at all. I carry a impact wrench, drill, and grinder..

Recently on the rubicon I had to cut my front d60 shaft with my grinder in order to replace it.... I really would've been screwed without it. I then also used it to cut longer splines into the replacement shaft that I had.. Let's just say there was a ton of grinding, and use of the impact gun, and the battery powered tools were up to the task!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415467071.459170.jpg

David1tontj

Forgot to mention- I use dewalt. I've always had dewalt an they work great for me.

Many of the guys on here use Milwaukee.

I would just get whatever your friends have so that combined you will have more batteries.

rubicrawl

It's not a bad idea to have a air system encase all batteries fail air as a second resort problem is now your carrying battery tools and air powered tools as well kind of overkill lol

Sent from Moab

Panda

tools?

Appreciate the help

Use the battery powered tools and an inverter to recharge batteries if needed on the trail

JAGS

Hooked
There was a similar thread some time ago. Folks were running battery pack tools. Those wheeling together would carry same manufacturer so batteries and tools could be exchanged and used as needed on the trail. A good idea if you wheel with the same group of folks often.

Rccrwlr

Our trip on the Rubicon I brought many hand tools and a few battery powered tools. I have a York compressor and 3 gal tank but it really doesn't have the volume to run tools for long periods of time. The battery impact and drill are great but what I really needed was a grinder. I had to cut the end off a piece of pipe to sleeve my drag link. Another Jeeper brought an inverter and power angle grinder over and connected it direct to the battery. Going slow it worked but the rig had to be running. As long as you have a way to charge the batteries I think they are the way to go.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1415477801.125285.jpg

--rccrwlr.

FastZach

Thanks for the replies... I think we are going to go the route of power tools with extra batteries.. Just need to buy a grinder and we're set.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have been using Milwaukee power tools as of recent. After hearing good reviews from users here I went out and got a torque gun and screw driver. Thing is a beast and hasn't let me down yet!

Sithwindu

I have been using Milwaukee power tools as of recent. After hearing good reviews from users here I went out and got a torque gun and screw driver. Thing is a beast and hasn't let me down yet!

Which torque impact? I'm looking at getting one myself, I don't want overkill and I don't want to be u see powered either lol

Panda

Which torque impact? I'm looking at getting one myself, I don't want overkill and I don't want to be u see powered either lol

In my experience.. And I've used them all, Milwaukee, Mikita and dewalt are all great tools, they each have their own strong points, I believe Milwaukee is the strongest and dewalt runs a close second but the batteries are bigger and don't seem to last as long, Mikita has a smaller battery and seems to last longer and charge quicker but not quite as powerful

JKbrick

The Milwaukee Fuel tools are brushless motors and are small and run a long time. I use them at work and they are great

David1tontj

In my experience.. And I've used them all, Milwaukee, Mikita and dewalt are all great tools, they each have their own strong points, I believe Milwaukee is the strongest and dewalt runs a close second but the batteries are bigger and don't seem to last as long, Mikita has a smaller battery and seems to last longer and charge quicker but not quite as powerful

I've used dewalt forever.. The new 20v lithium ion batteries are amazing.. That's what I used on the rubicon and with all that cordless grinder work, I never ran out of juice. The old 18v batteries wouldn't have made it. I did have a charger and inverter too, but never needed it.

Panda

I've used dewalt forever.. The new 20v lithium ion batteries are amazing.. That's what I used on the rubicon and with all that cordless grinder work, I never ran out of juice. The old 18v batteries wouldn't have made it. I did have a charger and inverter too, but never needed it.

I've also used dewalt forever and still prefer it but it seems after so many charges the batteries lose life, I'm running makita now because my work supplies them and all the guys I work with use makita so we can borrow batteries, they've been going strong for a couple years now also makita is making a long list of power tools that work with the same batteries, they're all great tools in my opinion, the best advantage is using what your buddies use so you can borrow a B pack when your behind on a charge :thumb:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have a Snap-On cordless 3/8 impact and their 1/2 cordless impact and they work great. They were new in 2009-2011 time frame so they are not the earlier versions of their cordless tools that just don't work worth a crap. I have used the 3/8 on a lot of stuff as far as jeeps go, even completely assembled my last YJ with it. it will do lug nuts fairly easy but I usually get the 1/2 out for that. Ive used the 1/2 on cars, trucks, jeeps, suvs, trailers, 2 ton trucks, semis, tractors, etc. It hasn't let me down yet.

I also have the Dewalt 20 Volt set with the drill, impact driver, circular saw, recip saw, and light. I have not used it on much with the vehicles but what I have used it on it works great. I have seen guys using the impact driver on smaller stuff such as body bolts etc. but it still seemed to struggle a little to me. I would have preferred the 3/8 cordless at least. I have not tried their actual impacts though.

I also have a Snap-On 3/8 and 1/2 air impact and they love air. I only use them in the shop when I actually have use of a big air compressor which inst often. I dont know what they would be like on the trails because of this, I was always worried of not having enough air for them. So I have stuck to the cordless.

What he said ^^^

I basically use the same set up. Snap On cordless 3/8 and 1/2 impacts.

Dewalt cordless for everything else. (Drill, 1/4 driver impact, recip saw, etc etc).

Stay away from the weekend warrior stuff Bosch, Ryobi and even craftsman.

Jackal01

Picked this up today at Pep Boys. $69 after the mail in rebate. I haven't used an electric impact wrench before but it was a good deal. 1/2 drive, 300 ft lbs. Decent enough I think.

Attachments

• 1417198169177.jpg
    1417198169177.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 110

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Love my Dewalt 20V tools. Carry 2 batteries and charger (things like grinders eat batteries REAL fast). Will be adding a grinder to the mix soon, right now, just have the impact, drill, and sawzall.

Top Bottom