Air vs Electric lockers , arb /Eaton

UP N OVER

Advantages of the E-locker vs the Air locker ?? getting upgrades done, leaning to wards air locker in the rear and trutrc up front...not a hardcore offroader,,,suggestions ??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you are referring to the factory e-locker, the benefits of it is that it's integrated into your jeep (or can be) and has a clean look. it also does not require a compressor to make it work and doesn't have air lines that can rupture or melt. having said that, the factory e-locker is weak, prone to having engagment/disengagement issues and even break. air lockers like the kind ARB makes is solid and has proven to work well. the later is what we use.

EDIT: i see that you specifically point out eaton. unfortuantely, i have no experience with one and can't give you an accurate assesment on one of them.

UP N OVER

if you are referring to the factory e-locker, the benefits of it is that it's integrated into your jeep (or can be) and has a clean look. it also does not require a compressor to make it work and doesn't have air lines that can rupture or melt. having said that, the factory e-locker is weak, prone to having engagment/disengagement issues and even break. air lockers like the kind ARB makes is solid and has proven to work well. the later is what we use.

EDIT: i see that you specifically point out eaton. unfortuantely, i have no experience with one and can't give you an accurate assesment on one of them.

I have a standard JK ,w/out lockers,,, its going in the shop Nov5th for gears, and I was leaning towards lockers at the same time,,, it seems everyone uses the air lockers more, just kinda curious why not the electric locker... Do you think, a locking locker for the rear, like the arb/ yukon locker, then an open or trutrac up frt ? From what I've read thru out the forums here, 5.13's are just fine for gears, and I'll take your advice with the chrome molly shafts,.. your advice ??

Indefatigable

I had had the Eaton E-locker in an 8.8.

Never again!

Rebuilt it twice, very hard to get parts for.

PITA the way it disengages and then reengages when you back up. The ball ramp system electro engage system.

I have been advised since I sold the Jeep that Eaton really does not intend it to be used as I was using it. More for the Mustang crowd.
The Dana editions may be better, but they are for smaller axles!

I now run ARB lockers in my current Jeep. I like them alot better.

My suggestion, since you are tearing both axles apart. ARB both ends. Don't bother with posi or LSD in the front. Waste of money. You don't need to be hardcore to appreciate the button on the dash when you need it. When you need it, that button pays for itself :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i've heard that about eaton as well but, being that i had no experience with them, perferred not to say as much. i am glad that you came on though with some first hand knowledge. :thumb:

Indefatigable

The Dana applications seem to use more of an electric version of how an ARB works. The 8.8 and 10 Bolt were a ball ramp that drove pins into the back side of the side gear. being a ball ramp, they engage/disengage each time you change forward and reverse. Regardless though, the Eatons all seem to have the lock/unlock/lock PITA when you back up, and again when you go forward. This is how mine went on me. The pins chip off in the slots as a natural function of operation. Thus how it wears out quick. How the Dana editions wear internally... can't say. Was not going to try again.

ARB all the way :)

UP N OVER

The Dana applications seem to use more of an electric version of how an ARB works. The 8.8 and 10 Bolt were a ball ramp that drove pins into the back side of the side gear. being a ball ramp, they engage/disengage each time you change forward and reverse. Regardless though, the Eatons all seem to have the lock/unlock/lock PITA when you back up, and again when you go forward. This is how mine went on me. The pins chip off in the slots as a natural function of operation. Thus how it wears out quick. How the Dana editions wear internally... can't say. Was not going to try again.

ARB all the way :)

Thanks all,,, I'll go with the ARB... I appreciate your insight..

StrizzyChris

I was leaning towards lockers at the same time

If possible i would push you over! Absolutely do it at the same time! Only thing bad about the ARB, besides possible trail damage to the air hoses, is the cost. Most expensive locker and needs the most in additional parts to install. I guess when ur the best you get to charge the most!

Top Bottom