Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Rollover Recovery 101

  1. #31
    Knows a Thing or Two bigtrucker52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Memphis area
    Posts
    568
    Now i know where to come to if this ever happens

  2. #32
    Knows a Thing or Two chipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    As you seem to have already guess, hooking up to the frame is always optimal. If you don't have sliders to hook up to, you can loop a tree saver around the frame rail and that'll work too. If needed, hooking up to the roll cage will work as well but I would try to keep the attachment close to the B-pillar. I know some will give me shit for having one but, I also carry a short heavy duty chain with a standard hook on one end and a grab hook on the other. This allows me more options and so long as you're doing a nice, slow recovery and NOT jerking the rig around, it'll get the job done safely.
    I just went back to your Recover Gear must have thread, Great read by the way, to take another look at the chain your talking about, with the ends on it that you stated. So I could understand more clearly what it looked like
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1427216605.534248.jpg
    Is something you made up yourself or purchased? And how short is it 3'?I'm gonna throw one in my bag also, may just need it one day.

  3. #33
    Been Around the Block Scoop315's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    441
    I'm assuming, this is the wrong way to use a tree as your stationary pulling point...

    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1039983006015285

  4. #34
    Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    7,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop315 View Post
    I'm assuming, this is the wrong way to use a tree as your stationary pulling point]
    That tree beat the shit out of him.

  5. #35
    Addict Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    As you seem to have already guess, hooking up to the frame is always optimal. If you don't have sliders to hook up to, you can loop a tree saver around the frame rail and that'll work too. If needed, hooking up to the roll cage will work as well but I would try to keep the attachment close to the B-pillar. I know some will give me shit for having one but, I also carry a short heavy duty chain with a standard hook on one end and a grab hook on the other. This allows me more options and so long as you're doing a nice, slow recovery and NOT jerking the rig around, it'll get the job done safely.
    actually having a chain in your recovery bag is a good idea...we used one in conjunction with a Pull Pal and a snatch block to pull a rather large rock that was part of a rock slide onto a narrow shelf road off the trail in order to continue...

  6. #36
    Fresh Catch Rhampson3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    22

    When to pull the spark plugs?

    I apologize for asking a silly question in such an old thread. You say that removing the spark plugs and turning over the engine isn't always necessary. How do you know when it isn't needed?

  7. #37
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhampson3 View Post
    I apologize for asking a silly question in such an old thread. You say that removing the spark plugs and turning over the engine isn't always necessary. How do you know when it isn't needed?
    It's not worth the risk to not do it, IMO. If there is liquid oil in the cylinders, starting the engine and attempting to compress the oil could result in a bent rod and expensive repairs. However that doesn't mean it HAS to be done. This guy about 3 weeks ago rolled his UTV. I told him to pull the plugs and he declined, but his vehicle started up fine with some blue smoke but never did any damage. I still feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

    1028171148.jpg
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  8. #38
    Fresh Catch Rhampson3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    It's not worth the risk to not do it, IMO. If there is liquid oil in the cylinders, starting the engine and attempting to compress the oil could result in a bent rod and expensive repairs. However that doesn't mean it HAS to be done. This guy about 3 weeks ago rolled his UTV. I told him to pull the plugs and he declined, but his vehicle started up fine with some blue smoke but never did any damage. I still feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

    1028171148.jpg
    Yeah it seems like pretty cheap insurance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS