Heater help

Highpockets

So I'm needing some help.. Heater is acting up on my 08 unlimited.. I replaced the thermostat and back flushed the heater core until clear.. Still no idle heat and engine temp starts to head to the red line unless I can keep my speed upward above 50 then I get some heat till I slow down again.. Ideas please???!

jeeeep

Hooked
So I'm needing some help.. Heater is acting up on my 08 unlimited.. I replaced the thermostat and back flushed the heater core until clear.. Still no idle heat and engine temp starts to head to the red line unless I can keep my speed upward above 50 then I get some heat till I slow down again.. Ideas please???!

Sounds like your water pump may have failed. are you loosing fluid? or see signs of leakage around the pump? Also a blocked heater core will keep the water from circulating and cause overheating.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If your sitting idle with no heat and your engine temp is rising. And you just replaced your thermostat. What heat range on thermostat did you go? Did you use stock range?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

hydrohut

Sounds like you have air in the system. Did your issue start with the heater problem? Perhaps let it cool right down and recheck your water level for starters.

Highpockets

Water pump

So I think my water pump may be going bad?. No heat at idle so changed thermostat didn't help also back flushed the heater core. Fine.. Engine starts to heat up above the 3/4 mark till I get above 50 mph then starts to go down to normal temp.. Is it still safe to drive till I get the pump replaced( not losing any coolant)

Highpockets

Fan behind rad seems to be working fine.. Thermostat is rated for 195( new ).. Back flushed heater core till clear water ran out.. Don't seem to be losing any coolant looking at my reservoir .. Took the cap off rad and can see fluid then when I start it fluid is gone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're heater was working before the t-stat replacement and isn't working now, you most likely have air in the system. Have you checked your heater hoses to see if they are both warm? You may find it necessary to disconnect one to burp the system.

Highpockets

So to " burp" the system ..?.. Take off a hose while it's running?.. Or while it's not?..and should they be both warm?.. Or just one?.. I changed the thermostat cause I had list heat and in my old TJ that fixed it

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So to " burp" the system ..?.. Take off a hose while it's running?.. Or while it's not?..and should they be both warm?.. Or just one?.. I changed the thermostat cause I had list heat and in my old TJ that fixed it

Disconnect it at the t-stat and you need to do this while your engine is running. Both hoses should be warm. If they are not, you have air in the system or blockage in the heater core. And, unless you are seeing and smelling some coolant inside your Jeep, I doubt it's the later.

Highpockets

Thank you I'll try burping it as well as checking the hoses.. When I back flushed the heater core with the garden hose I ran it till it was clear..

rinkishjk

Silly question but your trying to get the air out of the cooling system with the jeep on level ground right?

Highpockets

Yes sorry .. I lost my heat a couple of weeks ago then my engine temp gauge started running on the high side until I would get moving down the road above 50 mph then it would settle out but still no heat coming in to the cab.. I had just replaced the stat thinking that was the problem but no luck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sorry .. I lost my heat a couple of weeks ago then my engine temp gauge started running on the high side until I would get moving down the road above 50 mph then it would settle out but still no heat coming in to the cab.. I had just replaced the stat thinking that was the problem but no luck

Okay, so everything you've said points to there being air in the system.

DK'sJK

I have the same issue except I have not seen the temp gauge run high. I have also seen water dripping from the midsection of the jeep. Mid section as in a tube above the transmission near the cab.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same issue except I have not seen the temp gauge run high. I have also seen water dripping from the midsection of the jeep. Mid section as in a tube above the transmission near the cab.

If the drip you are seeing is on the outside of your cab, you probably have a loose connection or a splitting hose. This is probably allowing air to get into your system and that is causing your problem.

Top Bottom