TRANSFORMATION of the RUBICON : Before & After Photos 5 Years in the Making

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When word got out that the Little Sluice was going to be altered from the state it had been in for almost 20 years, people were in an uproar. And, truth be told, I can't say I was exactly thrilled by the news either. However, while the recent transformation of the Little Sluice was big news, it was only significant because it was an iconic obstacle on the Rubicon Trail. The sad thing is, there have been work crews on the Rubicon quietly filling in rock gardens with crushed rocks, removing massive boulders, chopping down trees and closing off obstacles from end to end for quite some time now. Many of these changes have occured in just the last 5 years and surprisingly, with little to no resistance. While I understand these changes are being made with good intensions, it sure has been a tough pill to swallow. Looking through some of our old photos, I was surprised to see just how much has changed and thought that some of you might be interested in seeing them as well.

The Gatekeeper
Up until about 2005, the very first 100 yards or so of the Rubicon Trail's Loon Lake entrance was strewn with large boulders and was given the name, The Gatekeeper. As the name implies, if you couldn't get through this first section of trail, it'd be in your best interest to turn around and head back home. Even after the biggest rocks were cleared, the Gatekeeper still offered some challenge up unti about 2010. After that time, work crews came in to crack up more of the big boulders and fill in the rest of the voids with crushed rock.

Gatekeeper Before (2010)
main.php

Gatekeeper After (2011)
main.php

The Trough
There used to be a length of trail just past Ellis Creek that split off in two with one side requiring you to climb a large granite boulder to the left, and the other having you work your way through a boulder and log strewn trench to the right. I don't know if this lower section of trail had an official name but, we always referred to it as "The Trough". As of 2011, this lower section has been permanently closed off.

The Trough Before (2009)
main.php

The Trough After
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of what it looks like now as it has been closed.

Quarter Panel Rock
Up until about 2009, there used to be a large boulder that was situated about half way between Ellis Creek and the Soup Bowl. In a small, short wheel base Jeep like a TJ or CJ, it was easy enough to get around but, doing it in a wide and long 4-door JK did take some effort. Well, that is, assuming you didn't want to take out your driver side rear quarter panel anyway. Unfortunately, this obstacle has been completely removed.

Quarter Panel Rock Before (2009)
To get by in a 4-door JK, you had to come up high on the passenger side rock wall...
main.php

main.php

Quarter Panel Rock After (2012)
Here you can see that the boulder is completely missing and the trail is now super wide here...
main.php

Snorkel Eater
Just past Quarter Panel Rock, there used to be a significantly off camber length of trail that wasn't actually scary to traverse as the most that would happen is that you'd tip your passenger side windshield header into a rock and earthen wall. Moving through this obstacle slowly, that was easy enough to do but, if you had a snorkel, the odds of you taking it out here were pretty good. Sometime before the summer of 2011, sky cranes dropped large boulders into the trench effectively eliminating it.

Snorkel Eater Before (2010)
main.php

main.php

Snorkel Eater After (2012)
main.php

main.php

Cell Phone Rock
Just past Walker Hill, there used to be a large boulder on the exposed side of a shelf section of trail and, it was here that AT&T users could get one last hit of 3G phone service - hence, why we always called it Cell Phone Rock. Honestly, why this boulder was removed is beyond me but, as of the summer of 2012, it was no longer there.

Cell Phone Rock Before
main.php

Cell Phone Rock After (2012)
main.php

Soup Bowl
The Soup Bowl was always one of those big enough and crazy enough obstacles that most would drive by and not even realize it was something people took on. Back in the day, there used to be a big boulder that made starting your approach difficult. The best you could do is wiggle your way in a bit and then back right into the rock to get yourself lined up. For a lot of rigs, this meant smashing a tail light and there was always plenty of evidence of that. Unfortunately, that rock has since been removed and, while it's still a challenging obstacle to climb, it's just not the same without that menacing tail light crusher in the way.

Soup Bowl Before (2010)
main.php

Soup Bowl After (2012)
main.php

Little Sluice
Of course, what would a before and after photo essay on the Rubicon Trail be without a few shots of the Little Sluice. I should note that the before shots represent what the Little Sluice looked like since about 1994. I've been told by well respected old timers that before then, it was just another 100 feet along the Rubicon Trail. Even after it's recent transformation, they've assured me that it's still a lot harder than it was.

Little Sluice Before
main.php

Little Sluice After (Oct 2012)
main.php

Little Sluice Before
main.php

main.php

Little Sluice Before
main.php

main.php

Thousand Dollar Hill
Just past the Little Sluice, there used to be a rocky descent called Thousand Dollar Hill. As the saying went, "it'd cost you a thousand dollars everytime you went down it" or, something to that extent. It's been my recent understanding that this section of trail actually crossed over private property and because of it, has since been closed. As of the summer of 2012, you can no longer access it.

Thousand Dollar Hill Before
main.php

Thousand Dollar Hill After
Being that this section of trail is closed, I do not have a current photo of what it looks like now.

Thousand Dollar Hill - Alternate Route
While this alternate route down Thousand Dollar Hill may have at one time been a bypass for the main descent, years of harsh winters did a good job of chewing it up and, in my opinion, made it a lot more technical and challenging. With the main route closed off, this alternate route has been cleared of it's boulders and level to the point where no challenge is present today.

Thousand Dollar Hill - Alternate Route Before
main.php

Thousand Dollar Hill - Alternate Route After (Oct 2012)
main.php

The Big Sluice
Unlike the Little Sluice, the Big Sluice was a section of trail that couldn't be bypassed. Coming down and around the switchback, most people had to stop regardless of how built up their rig was just so that they could size up the boulders and pick a good line through them. More times than not, lesser rigs would end up getting high centered here and required a strap or a winch off the rocks and, there have even been a few people who've put their rigs on their lid here. While there had been some minor modification made to the top of the Big Sluice in recent years, as 2012, it's become a super highway complete with retaining walls. Of all changes made on the Rubicon, this one is at top of the list of being is a real disappointment.

The Big Sluice Before
main.php

The Big Sluice After (Oct 2012)
main.php

The Big Sluice Before
main.php

main.php

The Big Sluice Before
main.php

main.php

The Off Camber Squeeze
Being as tough as it was and, being something that pretty much everyone had to do, the Off Camber Squeeze was probably one of the most well known obstacle on the entire Rubicon Trail. Located about half way down the Big Sluice, this obstacle was essentially a big rock, split in half by a tree growing out of it and, one that was planted right in the middle of the trail. While you could go around on either side of this rock, the most common side forced you to climb very high on a parallel slab and lean you dangerously close to it. While certain death was far from eminent, taking out a mirror, busting out a window or, laying some deep scratches in your body was always a real possibility. As of September 2012, this obstacle has been removed.

The Off Camber Squeeze Before
main.php

The Off Camber Squeeze After (Oct 2012)
main.php

The Tree Squeeze
Immediately after the Off Camber Squeeze, there used to be another rock planted squarely in the middle of the trail and, if you had the articulation and clearance, you could go around it to the left. For everyone else, going around it on the right was simple enough and only required that you carefully squeeze between it and two small trees. As of September 2012, those two trees have been removed.

The Tree Squeeze Before
main.php

The Tree Squeeze After (Oct 2012)
main.php

Cadillac Hill Boulder Squeeze
Named after an old Cadilla that sat for years abandoned at the top of this rocky climb, this last stretch of trail connecting Rubicon Springs to Lake Tahoe has always been known for breaking down rigs. On a busy weekend, it's not uncommon to be stuck for hours waiting for a rig to get fixed and or pulled to a point where others can pass. One of the toughest spots along the way used to be soon after leaving Rubicon Springs and just past the first switchback. At this point, there used to be two large boulders that sat just wide enough apart that you could wiggle a small TJ though in between them but, in a much wider and longer 4-door JK, you had to really put your rocker guards to the test. As of the summer of 2012, one of the two boulders has been removed and this is no longer an obstacle.

Cadillac Hill Boulder Squeeze Before
main.php

Cadillac Hill Boulder Squeeze After (2012)
main.php

While there have been plenty of other changes made to the trail, these are the only ones that I had photos of. With any luck, an update to this thread will not be necessary in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please note that I just added a couple more photos to the thread and they show a before and after comparison of the Soup Bowl. If you've already looked at all the pics, you might want to hit refresh and give it another look.

matt1171

This is still on my Off-Road bucket list. Since I've never been on the Rubicon before it will still be an adventure for me.

Blonda

Wow, I agree with you, the Big Sluice looks like the biggest disappointment of all :grayno:

RockyJk

matt1171 said:
This is still on my Off-Road bucket list. Since I've never been on the Rubicon before it will still be an adventure for me.

Same here its a shame that all those changes have been done but its a trail i gotta do before i die hahaha

metalic

Are they changing the name to The X/Sport Trail? lol

I will never have a rig to take on the old obstacles it's still sickening to see money wasted on destroying nature.

rinkishjk

Wow your comparison pics really tell a story.. I remember watching your maple run with the canucks and u guys going down big sluice, and from ur pics I saw it looks nothing like it did on the video.
I still jam to volbeat and that song when he pops his spare on the wag bag I think it's called. One of my favorite videos u guys made!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
WOW those are great before and after pics! It is amazing how much "damage" the county can to to a trail!! What ever happened to keeping it "natural"?

Hopefully they won't keep dumming it down. There are alot of us out here who would like to have a turn at some really challenging trails!

PlenaBarba

Wow, that is quite a change. Still on the bucket list for sure, but I think I better get there sooner rather than later. . .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I agree with you, the Big Sluice looks like the biggest disappointment of all :grayno:

what we've always liked about the big sluice was that there were no bypasses on it. on some years, it was the one section of trail that took the longest to get through and really, that's where some of the best experiences occured. there are still lines that you can take that are tough but now, they are optional.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are they changing the name to The X/Sport Trail? lol

I will never have a rig to take on the old obstacles it's still sickening to see money wasted on destroying nature.

what frustrates me the most is that you could have done the rubicon in a stock x/sport before. sure, it took a lot more work to do but, i have seen it done before and it's amazing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow your comparison pics really tell a story.. I remember watching your maple run with the canucks and u guys going down big sluice, and from ur pics I saw it looks nothing like it did on the video.
I still jam to volbeat and that song when he pops his spare on the wag bag I think it's called. One of my favorite videos u guys made!

LOL!! that was definitely one of our all time favorite trips on the con :honey:

It is sad to see but understandable in some ways! :yup:

oh, i totally understand their reasons for doing what they're doing, i just don't know if i agree with them. you make it easier for people to run, you'll have a lot more people running it and with more people comes more problems. but, that's just me.

Mikes Offroad

It's sad to see it change that much, It is also on my bucket list to do. It's just another long drive from the north thats all.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
disappointing

Nice comparison photos. Really gives one a sense of the changes made. Like most everyone who has posted, the Rubicon is on my list but seems a bit less exciting now that I've seen the changes. The big sluice indeed looks most disappointing. I guess if they want more traffic on the trail then they're certainly making it less daunting and hence more appealing. I personally don't agree with it but, hey, nobody asked me.

Robar

The Enforcer
I hate to see too many changes. I think it should be left as natural as possible when possible, but that won't keep me from running the trail when I get a chance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
while there have been a lot of changes to the rubicon, it is still first and foremost a beautiful trail. and, i should note that there are still plenty of hard lines that you can choose to take - there just aren't as many hard lines that you "have" to take. and, if you're in a rig with 35's or smaller, i think you'll find it to be tough enough :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Robar said:
I hate to see too many changes. I think it should be left as natural as possible when possible, but that won't keep me from running the trail when I get a chance.

Agreed. This is definitely on the priority list.

Last edited:

silverbackjk

while there have been a lot of changes to the rubicon, it is still first and foremost a beautiful trail. and, i should note that there are still plenty of hard lines that you can choose to take - there just aren't as many hard lines that you "have" to take. and, if you're in a rig with 35's or smaller, i think you'll find it to be tough enough :yup:

Eddie, i have a 4 door jk sport with a 3.5 inch rock krawler lift and 35's would that be ok to run the trail? I only have a lsd in the rear and open dana 30 front.

Thanks, James

Robar

The Enforcer
Eddie, i have a 4 door jk sport with a 3.5 inch rock krawler lift and 35's would that be ok to run the trail? I only have a lsd in the rear and open dana 30 front.

Thanks, James

This is from another thread:

Minimum Vehicle Requirements:

• Recoery Points Front & Back
• Rocker Guards
• 35" M/T or AT Tires
• 2.5" of Lift or Higher
• Lockers are Highly Recommended
• Recovery Straps & Gear
• CB Radio

silverbackjk

This is from another thread:

It looks like i have everything but the lockers mine only has the limited slip in the rear. The trail does look much easier than past photos I've seen. Might give it a shot when is the last time to run it before it is snowed in?

Top Bottom